PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl wrap

jaytip
25-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Sorry for posting this here guys but I know this page gets the most traffic and I need a quick answer.
Do you have to inform the DVLA if you wrap your car in a colour different to it's original spec?
Paul,having do e this to your car I'm hoping you can see and answer this for me.

Ivor

nakamichi
25-10-2010, 02:09 PM
If you change the colour of a vehicle you do have to inform DVLA.

jaytip
25-10-2010, 03:38 PM
If you change the colour of a vehicle you do have to inform DVLA.

This is where I get confused because a wrap is a temporary thing.

nakamichi
25-10-2010, 05:17 PM
A respray could be temporary aswell :)
If the colour changes you need to tell them.

Paul G
25-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Hi Ivor,

I have looked into this and as far as I can tell,as it's "temporary" change you do not need to inform the DVLA. I seem to recall a conversation with Paul some time back and he also confirmed. So over to you Paul, no pressure ;-)

Cheers
PG

Senninha
27-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Hi Gents,

I spoke with my local traffic cops, DVLA and contacted my insurance company all of whom supported the "its temporary so no you do not need to change the V5"

The BIB did say that depending on the officer it could prove to be an interesting conversation if you were to get stopped for any reason. Well I did have a 'conversation' and the only comment on the car was that it sounded really good.

Mine's been wrapped for almost 2 years now, been serviced, MOT'd and re-insured without any issues.

So what are you wrapping?

regards, Paul

jaytip
27-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi Gents,

I spoke with my local traffic cops, DVLA and contacted my insurance company all of whom supported the "its temporary so no you do not need to change the V5"

The BIB did say that depending on the officer it could prove to be an interesting conversation if you were to get stopped for any reason. Well I did have a 'conversation' and the only comment on the car was that it sounded really good.

Mine's been wrapped for almost 2 years now, been serviced, MOT'd and re-insured without any issues.

So what are you wrapping?

regards, Paul
Hi Paul,
Thanks for clarifying.
What am i going to wrap? nothing exciting i'm afraid.I want to get one of these.I currently drive the saloon/hatchback version as my taxi but it is a basic S model and only 105BHP which is too underpowered for such a big car, but it is a superb-no pun intended-car to drive.Unfortunately for me the estate wasnt built when i bought mine,so i didnt have the choice.
I want to push the boat out and get the elegance model which is the top of the range and fully loaded and in the 2.0L 140BHP with DSG box spec that i want,its knocking on for 25K.
My problem is,my local authority insist that a hackney carriage must be white,and i REALLY dont want to buy this car in white(every white octavia or superb that comes up for sale is presumed to be an ex taxi) so i figure if i can get around them,with the idea of a complete wrap,the car would to all intents and purposes,be white,and it would massively help resale when it comes time to move it on,or if i get a new job,i can just de-plate it and take the wrap off and i have a cracking family car.
I spoke to one of the local taxi inspectors on Monday and he said if it says white on the log book,it shouldn't be a problem,and therin lies my problem.I dont know what the DVLA stance is on it.Now you have confirmed that they don't mind,i'm going to ask them the opposite and ask if i CAN change the colour on the log book due to the wrap.
Supprisingly,my other problem at the moment is lack of stock :eek: Really,theses cars are catching on as excellent value for money once you get passed the badge,and they are selling fast.

Regards,

Ivor.

Justin
27-10-2010, 11:44 AM
A respray could be temporary aswell :)
If the colour changes you need to tell them.

That's correct - the current colour always needs to be notified, regardless of what a plod or insurance call centre dude tells you. Because, when the poo hits the fan, it'll not be them but rather a judge and/or loss adjuster who'll be looking at your car and deciding, on the facts, that you were driving without valid insurance. :eek:

jaytip
27-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Well i just spoke to the DVLA and they have informed me that even though a wrap is a temporary thing i can indeed change the colour(not mandatory)on the log book to show the colour of the wrap,which begs the question,what if you had some sort of psychedelic colour rap on the car,what do you do then? :)

Justin
27-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Of course, it's an interesting and brand new area for potential dispute. If you can get a formal letter from your individual insurance company, that would negate any problems from an insurance perspective during the life of that policy.

Failure to make statutory notifications is anyone's guess... Again, if you can get formal written DVLA sign-off on your exact modification it might offer you some protection, and it's more difficult to see a major risk with this latter issue....

jaytip
27-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Another question for you Paul,are the door shuts covered as well.
I told the taxi inspector (without really having the knowledge) that the only part of the car that would not be white is inside the engine bay.I said that the door shuts and the inside of the boot would all be white.Is that the case? or is it up to the individual on how much he/she is willing to spend?

Regards,

Ivor.

Senninha
30-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi Ivor,

You can cover the door stuts either partially or completely, however given the usage of your car (ie working vehicle) it might noit be wise as this area will be subject to high wear and tear and may start looking tatty.

I've done partial door shuts and as the original color is dark I have left engine bay & fornt bay OEM color.

Have sent you pm

regards, Paul

Rob_Fenn
31-10-2010, 11:01 AM
VW have done a Polo and Golf harlequin over the years. I believe the cars all started as one colour, then they simply swapped panels from different coloured cars (hence why they're not all identical).

http://www.autosavant.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/polo-harlequin.jpg

Whatever colour is on the logbook, not exactly accurate is it!

Nick Graves
07-11-2010, 06:35 PM
That car is clearly light green - it's the main body colour.

Same with a psychedelic car or a truck; it's the principal colour that's logged.

You could really piss off the divvy LA, by re-wrapping your car every week, which might be a laugh!