PDA

View Full Version : Wax after respray advice

nakamichi
24-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Hi
I have just had the front end resprayed and would be interested in what products to use on it.I intend to leave it in the garage for a week before doing anything.
Cheers
Tony

gcon45
24-10-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm a big fan of Dodo Juice 'Supernatural' wax Tony.

Tried quite a few and I always come back to it.

http://www.carnaubawaxshop.co.uk/content/images/dodo_supernatural_601_600.jpg

Papalazarou
24-10-2010, 08:46 PM
I wouldn't use any wax/sealant for a couple of months. Some wax manufacturers recommend 60 days before using anything.
If you wax too soon, the paint may not cure and can become soft and develop defects.
I know it's tempting, but I'd leave it a little while.

Cheers,

James

Alf Tupper
25-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Is the respray a good match and would you recommend the bodyshop that you used? I've read it can be tricky to match paintwork on NSXes due to the tri-coat paint.

Papalazarou
25-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Is the respray a good match and would you recommend the bodyshop that you used? I've read it can be tricky to match paintwork on NSXes due to the tri-coat paint.

LBB, circuit blue and imola orange are the worst. Red, black, silver etc are reasonably straight forward. Certainly when they did my red 96 the colour match was excellent.
LBB and formula red have tinted clearcoat. However LBB is a three stage pearl, hence the problem. I recall a member having sustained minor damage to his car and having to have the whole car resprayed because they couldn't match it.
I imagine yellow's not a bundle of fun either;-)

Cheers,

James.

nobby
25-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Mate you have no idea ... :(

I was trying to repair a minor stone chip on the bonnet of my yellow NSX, and discussed with a number of people about a quality sprayer.

To cut a long story short the spray work is first class but getting a paint match has been very difficult! NB as the car has been resprayed prior to ownership the colour used does not seem to replicate the Honda paint code. With such a minor repair needing done on my bonnet I am now faced with having to re spray the whole car! :( TOTALLY GUTTED!

Trust me Indy Pearl Yellow on the NSX is a complete sh1t to match

One consolation is I will have a car completely free from paint defects in terms of matching PLUS will be getting extra paint made up for any future issues

Cheers,

James.

Alf Tupper
25-10-2010, 08:31 PM
LBB, circuit blue and imola orange are the worst. Red, black, silver etc are reasonably straight forward. Certainly when they did my red 96 the colour match was excellent.
LBB and formula red have tinted clearcoat. However LBB is a three stage pearl, hence the problem. I recall a member having sustained minor damage to his car and having to have the whole car resprayed because they couldn't match it.

Cheers,

James.

Thanks James. I have a couple of panels on my red 95 car that have been resprayed, before my ownership, a noticeably darker shade than the rest of the car. Was thinking of getting this corrected in a year or two.

Glad to hear that for formula red, a near perfect match is not impossible but will have to find a better bodyshop than whoever did the last respray.........

Papalazarou
25-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks James. I have a couple of panels on my red 95 car that have been resprayed, before my ownership, a noticeably darker shade than the rest of the car. Was thinking of getting this corrected in a year or two.

Glad to hear that for formula red, a near perfect match is not impossible but will have to find a better bodyshop than whoever did the last respray.........

Yes, formula red's fine. If the paintshop tells you that plastic reacts differently to paint and changes colour, they suck. Go elsewhere.

Cheers,

James

Lankstarr
25-10-2010, 09:33 PM
You say that James but even on nearly new audis the misano red pearl discolours on plastic. Not seen it on other cars though but have see 3 audis with faded plastic red bits now.

If you're painting on top of paint I can't see what tge underlying material has got to do with it. :dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

nakamichi
26-10-2010, 05:56 AM
Had it done here:
http://www.innovationbodyworx.com/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=2
Perfect match,looks brand new.

Alf Tupper
26-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Had it done here:
http://www.innovationbodyworx.com/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=2
Perfect match,looks brand new.

Thanks for that. I'll keep this place in mind, knowing that they can do an excellent job with formula red.