PDA

View Full Version : Clutch replacement

madras
18-10-2010, 12:55 PM
What is recommended for a clutch replacement on an early 3.0. Just the clutch plates, or plus release bearing, flywheel, mid plate, pressure plate? Do the other items actually wear out or are they liable to break? 120kmile car.
thanks.

Kaz-kzukNA1
19-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Hi, madras.

Without looking at the actual state of the parts, it’s difficult to recommend anything as mileage on the clutch doesn’t reflect the actual wear/state of the discs and plate surface.

For example, I used to replace my complete clutch kit including the flywheel every 30k miles while I was in Japan whereas now in UK, my clutch has survived more than 100K miles.
For me, traffic jam on M25 is nothing compared to the one in Tokyo area and road/driving environment makes big difference for the clutch life/mileage.

Based on my previous experience, if you are using the OEM twin clutch, you can replace just the two friction discs if you reacted really-really early enough before wearing out the surface of mid plate as well as the contact surface on the flywheel. Even a small-mid wear on these surfaces will result in juddery biting feeling even replacing the two friction discs so this is the risk you need to consider.
For this, you must double check the clutch pressure disc (clutch basket), release and pilot bearings but I would at least replace the bearings.

OEM friction discs seemed to use quite high friction coefficient materials so if you just kept using the clutch until you started to feel even a tiny slip, then almost certainly, you will need to replace the entire clutch kit (flywheel, 2 x friction disc, mid plate, pressure plate) plus pilot and release bearing. Pilot bearing is included in the OEM clutch kit, by the way.

Addition to these, I normally replace the parts around the release folk especially the bearing guide and the spring.

One of the most important thing is to invest into the high temperature grease. This will make big difference in the feeling and preventing noise after many years.

Depending on the usage of your NSX, you may want to consider using aftermarket flywheel or even the complete clutch kit.
I know several owners are using JUN flywheel with OEM twin clutch and also there seems to be quite good feedback on new SoS clutch kit but I have never used it so it’s up to the owner to make final decision.

Kaz

AR
19-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Hi Kaz I can't wait until you offer the clutch service. :) I got my RPS/SOS one here and can't wait to go to 9PSI on the Supercharger. :)

NSXGB
19-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Addition to these, I normally replace the parts around the release folk especially the bearing guide and the spring.

Kaz
[/FONT]

Hi Kaz,
Do you have the part numbers for these please?

goldnsx
19-10-2010, 05:46 PM
120kmile car.
Like Kaz already mentioned you'll only see what it needs when you disassemble the clutch. The NSX specific thing is that you can only order the clutch plates separately. As soon as one of the other main parts (flywheel, midplate, pressure plate) is out you have to buy a new (expensive) clutch kit.
120k miles, first clutch?
I can only tell you my story about clutch disc (only these) replacement. When I bought mine with 40k miles 9 years ago the clutch was shuddering heavily. The dealer replaced the discs and flattened the rest of the clutch. After 50k miles the clutch is still good but it made a terrible noise if you used the clutch from a full stop uphill. The dealer never found out why. Even now it does it sometimes. Sounds like somethings terribly wrong. We'll find out when I have to do it again. But this time a new clutch kit will be used.
We installed one some months ago and like Kaz mentioned the high-temp grease is critical. We used Honda's UREA stuff in the right amount. I even asked LarryB about this first. :)
In the end: if you DIY and have time over the winter period you could first dismount it and see if it only needs the discs (which I don't think). But remind it's a lot of work to be done when you have to do it a second time. ;)
I'm not a fan of aftermarket clutches unless you 'have' to change.

NSXGB
19-10-2010, 08:25 PM
If you need a new flywheel and you can source the other parts of the clutch kit separately, I have a new OEM flywheel available complete with new pilot bearing.

madras
25-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks Kaz, the bearing guide is not cheap - how could or would this fail and what does the spring do? Is the fork likely to need replacing as well?

thanks,