PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone!

dubleon
06-10-2010, 09:27 PM
I've wanted an NSX since I sat in a red one at a car show when I was about 14, somehow I can't get over it. I have been driving for Mini Cooper S for the last 2 years and at 26 find myself in the position to perhaps own one.

While I may need a dose of realism (god knows what my insurance will be- accountant, safe area, 2 year NCB and 3 points. Maybe classic car insurance is an option?) I should be able to rustle about 15k+ together.

I understand that is a rather low entry point and it is likely a number of issues will need to be addressed on the car unless I am lucky.

Has anyone else bought a car at this level? I understand that I may settle with an import/ automatic but would love a manual. Also do any of you use these cars daily?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.

Best Wishes,

Leon

jpspringall
08-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Hi Leon,

First off I’ll start this off by saying this is my experience/opinion so others may well disagree with me but…

I was in much the same boat as you, I first got in one in 2002 and have wanted one ever since, and 4 months ago the dream was realised.

I bought an 1997 Targa Auto for 22K after I had it checked over, with the same idea as you as using it as my every day car. I’ve however since bottled it and got another car, this down to a number of reasons:

I’m not sure what the roads are like where you live, but here in the fens the roads aren’t of the greatest quality, and the first time I go anywhere ‘new’ I have to tip-toe to ensure I’m not going to catch the bottom etc
I’m not happy leaving it anywhere, as an example, I did the great north run this year, so had to drive up to Newcastle and the idea of leaving in the NSX in a multi-storey for a night wasn’t really appealing, and I would have spent the entire time worrying
After having done the great north run the last thing I would have wanted to do is get in it and drive home – don’t get me wrong they are brilliant fun to drive, but in my opinion harder work than a normal car for obvious reasons, which is for me at least why I enjoying driving it so much.
As I’ve found out this week, if something does go wrong with it and it has to go to Honda then the likely hood is that it’ll be off the road for a good few days, my parts are currently on their way from Belgium.
If you use it as day to car, especially round town, it will be get scratched, dirty etc. I had someone visit my rear bumper in a car park within 2 weeks of owning it, though fortunately no serious damage.

If you’ve got access to another vehicle for those other occasions, then it might be OK. I know there is at least one other person on this site who uses his on a daily basis, and I don’t know if he has access to another vehicle. My old boss who owned the NSX back in 2002 also used his as a day to day car, but had access to another one when required.

Going back to the price for the second, as you can tell by point 4, I’m obviously having to get a couple of bits done – namely the master relay, and the coolant tank replaced, and costing £400 all in, bearing in mind that I believe the guy who I brought it from wasn’t trying to pull a fast one, and the fact that I had it checked over, I’m just putting it down to sods law, but it does prove that things do go wrong.

I’m also not aware that there is a huge amount of difference between getting an auto or manual but the others on the site will be able to answer that better than I, as I’ve only got an auto licence so didn’t even look at manuals.

Insurance wise, and no disrespect to the others on the site, being 30 I’m probably nearer to your age than most – queue the disproving of that theory. But anyway my insurance for 15,000 miles was £700, which wasn’t much more than I was paying for Hyundai Coupe V6 which was my previous car. I’ve got 7 years no claims and no points…..Anymore ;-)

Having said all that, I know exactly how you feel and as they aren’t getting made anymore, time is running out. When the RAC man appeared on Thursday morning with his flat-bed to pick it up and take it Honda, all I said was ‘I know it doesn’t make any sense, but I wouldn’t change it for the world’.

Anyway hope this has gone some way to helping.

James

AnthP
09-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Hi Leon,

James is bang on with his comments and coincidentally, I have a red '97 targa /auto (UK car/low miles/cat iron history/low owner) which I paid GBP22k for within the past 12 months. Although people tend to turn their noses up at autos, I love mine and the other positive features of this car by far outweigh the fact it is an auto IMO.

These cars are as good as they say - you really can believe the hype - practical supercar, reliable, not temperamental, light steering, light brakes, comfortable in traffic, comfortable on long journeys, doesn't overheat, rapid when you are in the mood / docile when you are not, not bad on petrol, good visibility, speed humps aren't a problem, relatively low running cost etc.

However, although every time I take mine to work, I come home saying - I could use this everyday ! - I wouldnt like to. This has less to do with the car and more to do with everyday life - the car attracts too much attention (I'm from the North East where Boxsters still turn heads!), you wont want to leave it anywhere (I've got secure parking and a big space at work so not a problem for me), HGV's dont see you as you're too low, your front end will get badly stone chipped and of course, depending on mileage, the bills will come thick and fast.

Compared to say, a Ferrari 348 or 355, these cars can be run relatively cheaply but unless you are willing to put up with GBP500-GBP1,000 bills every now and then, this is not the car for you. With insurance (mine's only GBP300 as I'm 40), servicing, tax, MOT, the odd thing that goes wrong plus keeping on top of bits and bobs, you really need to be working on the basis that running an NSX will cost you circa GBP2000 per year. however, for that, you get very little depreciation and one of the best cars you will ever own ! - go on, you know you want to !

By the way, the list of common faults on these cars - which dont add up to much - and are detailed elsewhere on this forum are absolutely spot on and if you look out for these, plus the usual accident damage /
neglect, I dont think you can go to far wrong.

Good luck with your search for the right car

Cheers

Anthony

AR
09-10-2010, 09:43 AM
running an NSX will cost you circa GBP2000 per year.Cheers

Anthony

Anthony unless your are having major issues all the time I can't see that.

Are you including fuel too?

Cheers,

AR

jpspringall
09-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Noting your location Anthony, you must know exactly how I felt about taking the NSX to the GNR, the other bit I left out, is the fact that I haven’t been brave enough to take the NSX into a multi storey car park, small spaces, and would you really want to find out if the car could go up and down without issue with a queue behind you.

Also quite pleased that you paid the same as me…means I didn’t get done, or we both did!

I’ve not had the NSX long enough to comment on whether or not £2K a year is a bit much, though it would seem to be, as until the mainlrelay went pop it cost no more to run than my Hyundai, tyres wear, petrol etc all seem about the same.

My honest opinion for what it’s worth if all this talk hasn’t put you off – which I hope it hasn’t, is to start looking for one now, as it’ll take you a while – it took me just under 2 years to find mine. During that time, you can save some more pennies, get a bit older, and depending on when you got them lose those 3 points, which will all help with the insurance.

James

AnthP
09-10-2010, 12:04 PM
AR,

My car has been great other than a power steering problem which Kaz kindly sorted for me and some non-essential stuff as I'm a bit fussy. If insurance is say GBP600 for a typical owner, plus GBP200 for road tax, plus service/MOT (GBP400?), this only leaves GBP800 for unexpected costs and on the basis over a five year period you'll get a big bill from either the belt/plugs service / new tyres / exhaust / brakes / plus any non-essential stuff you might want to do, I think GBP2000 seems about right (and is backed up by my service history), but with four kids and no family allowance to look forward to, I'd love to be wrong !

Cheers

Anthony

jpspringall
09-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Ah i suspect AR wasnt including insurance, road tax & MOT as you'd have to pay that regardless of car.

My solution is simple, dont have kids....They cant fit in the NSX anyway!

Now time to start praying that the Mrs doesnt see this post.

James

AR
09-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Ah i suspect AR wasnt including insurance, road tax & MOT as you'd have to pay that regardless of car.

James

That was my reasoning, James, any car you have to incur those costs.