PDA

View Full Version : Baulking in 5th gear

mcibuk
07-04-2004, 02:56 PM
I have a 5 speed manual car that has covered 19000 since Aug 95. The rest of the car is in perfect condition but the synchro doesn't seem to work so well going into 5th.
All other gears are fine but from cold when selecting 5th above 40mph, i get a minor crunch :( When warm the selection is fine. However when fully warm and travelling at speed (+80 say) and then selecting 5th, it always baulks a little unless the change is made much slower (obviates the need for a fast sports car!).
I have alerted this to Honda dealer where i bought and they have recommended "see how it goes following me getting used to the car".
Should i be worried about this?
Anyone had any experience with this type of problem and the solution?

Thanks!

Welshman
08-04-2004, 12:57 PM
Sounds to me that that is dealer bull****. it shouldn't crunch or baulk unless the syncro is worn.

Which dealer do you use?

mcibuk
13-04-2004, 08:33 AM
I bought the car from Two-Mills Honda in Cheshire one month ago.
Any experience working with these people?

Thx

mcibuk
19-10-2004, 03:18 PM
Just to keep you folks up to date with this long forgotten issue - i had 2 Mills inspect the car during a recent service and they agreed that 5th gear synchro was worn.
I've arranged for the work to be done in December and am also thinking about getting the clutch renewed at the same time. Is there anything else i should be considering whilst the gearbox is stripped?
Incidentally, cost of synchro (under warranty) is £969.
Cost of new fuel level sensor - £136 :shock:

ctrlaltdelboy
19-10-2004, 06:41 PM
you might think about changing the cam belt if you're having work done anyway - depends how long since it was last changed of course.

if you are going for a lightwieght flywheel or stronger clutch then again might as well do them while its in bits.

can't think of anything else unless you are going to go down the road of short gears/different final drive ratio/LSD - since the bearbox is going to be opened up anyway theres no better time to do these if they are on your horizon for the future

mcibuk
20-10-2004, 07:11 AM
Thanks for info.
The cambelt was changed 18 months ago (16,000 miles) so I'm hoping that won't need doing for a while yet.
I'm intending to keep the car as close to standard wherever possible except where there are needs to remove weaknesses (if there are any!!).
Is the "stronger" clutch yo referred to a competition version or has it roadgoing benefits too?

ctrlaltdelboy
21-10-2004, 04:17 PM
re clutch

there are various available, some are true race types and best avoided, others are simply problematic (ask Kev) and some drive like road versions but hold much more torque before slipping.

mine is amazing (ACT - Advanced Clutch Technologies) but I'm not sure who stocks them these days.