PDA

View Full Version : If you had to replace your NSX what would you choose?

Sagacitas
01-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Say for some reason, any reason really, you had to replace your NSX with another vehicle what would you choose?

Richard

TheQuietOne
01-11-2005, 10:15 AM
An '02 NSX....sorry I know this isn't what you were getting at :wink:

Matt.

Sagacitas
01-11-2005, 10:48 AM
that may not been what I was aiming at but it is still a valid answer. 8)

trackdemon
01-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Realistically? 355

Fantasy? Zonda F

Most likely? 330d Touring :?

Kevin
01-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Modern fast cars don't seem to do anything for me anymore.

With the 'image' associated with some cars, and the fact that new cars become so out of date so quickly, I'd go old school.

How about an old Aston, Ferari or Lambo, from the '60s?

I think that would be my choice, to tool around the south of France in.

Welshman
01-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Well I "replaced" my NSX with a Ferrari 550, but the NSX hasn't sold - it's still sitting at Chiswick Honda - and with the insurance coming up for renewal I think I'll have it back as it costs around £500 or £600 more to have it sitting in the open down there than it would to have it garaged up here.

TheQuietOne
01-11-2005, 04:12 PM
That's a shame, they don't seem to be moving on particularly quickly...still nice toy to have in you garage, looking on the bright side!

How's the F going, I saw pics of it in a previous post...looks beautiful!

Welshman
01-11-2005, 04:16 PM
It's going fine. I've done almost 5,000 miles in it and it hasn't missed a beat. Fair to say that 3,000 of those miles were in one 3 week period touring France, Italy, back to France then Spain and Portugal. It's seriously nice to drive. Feels connected to the road so much more than any other car I've driven including the NSX.

Senninha
01-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Surely it depends on what you intend to use the 'replacement' for?

A 355 is still one of the best looking cars on the road IMO even though it sounds like an NSX with a Tubi system fitted!

If you have a need for a practicle stealth machine, a chipped 535d Tourer or RS6 Avant will take some beating.

The NSX is a rare sight on our roads, so if you like the appeal of a rare car, my money would be on the AMV8 :D

Martin
01-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Over £100,000 - McLaren F1 (when I have £700,000 as spare change!)
Under £100,000 - nothing but NSX

I just love its combination of performance, handling and yet rock-solid reliability, and its ease of use as a daily driver, its looks and its rarity.

Under £100,000 used I would have in the shortlist a Ferrari 550 or Porsche 911 Turbo based on performance and handling, but I simply dont like their looks well enough to fork out money on them.

Just my opinion.

simonprelude
01-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Something with a Lambo badge on it, failing that a Zonda.

markc
01-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Hmmmm,

I really shrink from the cliche "I've got loadsamoney but no idea cars" ie most Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini's BUT if pressed an F430, Carrera GT or Murcialago (I just don't get Gallardo) the would be my pick from their current ranges.

Money no object... Macca F1, roadcar spec (not GTR or longtail) in McLaren shakedown Orange.

Money next to no object... Ascari KZ1 (light metallic blue, as per their demo car).

Almost real world... F355 GTB, LHD (better driving position), Grigio Titanio with manual 'box.

From the Classic world... '63 Bizzarrini 5300GT Strada, '72 Porsche 2.4S, '74 Maserati Merak SS, '84 Ferrari 288GTO

Not that I've thought about it much of course :lol:

Mark

AR
02-11-2005, 03:07 AM
It will have to be a Gallardo if my wife has her way or a Ferrari 360 or GT3 if I have mine, both with Tubi.

Cheers

AR

AR
02-11-2005, 03:15 AM
360 CS that is!

Rob_Fenn
02-11-2005, 09:49 AM
I'd like a Vauxhall VX220, old Mustang or VW Karmann Ghia.

DamianW
02-11-2005, 09:59 AM
I'd like a Vauxhall VX220, old Mustang or VW Karmann Ghia.

Yeah I think my next step is probably to go back two steps, back to having luxo barge + cheaper, lighter weekend toy and trackday machine. Probably Elise or VX220 (the latter representing good value for money).

markc
02-11-2005, 11:26 AM
I here where you're coming from Damian but 2 (types) of car just isn't enough. :)
I have the luxo barge/bus (5 Series Touring) and NSX combo and access to the Mrs's S2000 for the wind in the hair "sportscar" stuff. I still need? a suitable track day car, something eligable for historic rallye's etc, possibly an open top cruiser... ohh and a proper van for the really big and or dirty stuff :?

Today, I'd got for the combination of BMW 540i Sport Touring (auto), Ascari KZ1, Caterham Superlight R400, Porsche 356 Carrera (1959), Maserati Ghibli Spyder SS, and a Renault 4 or Citroen 2CV Van.

All depends on budget, max number of cars,, where you live etc... we play this "Fantasy Garage" game for hours on end over a few (lots of) beers at LeMans every year... great fun. 8)

Of course my combo above will almost certainly change by tomorrow. :D

Mark

DamianW
02-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Good point, fantasy garages are much more interesting. The NSX would definitely stay, I'd add something like a Boxster for open top fun, a Caterham or maybe a Radical or ADR for track days. I'd like a classic Citroen moneypit, maybe an SM or DS. The Ascari appeals because of the resort, but actual car doesn't do all that much for me. Aston DB9 appeals, as does Welshman's Ferrari 550. Think I'd have to have an Elise in there, on the right day they can be such a lot of fun.

markc
02-11-2005, 01:22 PM
"Fantasy Garage" rules are almost as much fun as choosing their contents.
Only one of each type of car is always a good one and can lead to huge debates, for example are the DB9 and 550 differant enough to qualify for the garage under this rule?

As I say hours of fun :D

I'm rebelling against the whole Aston thing at the moment, they seem to be lauded everywhere and by everyone, which in-itself puts me off, but the image they seem to want to portray really gets my back up. The DB9 (James Bond anyone?) is too smooth/suave of image but proper road tests (EVO mag) say it rides poorly, while the AMV8 is better but is too contrived as a 911 alternative but with the same rogueish cad meets English gent image. :roll:

I love the Ascari mainly 'cos it isn't a Ferrari or Lambo. The Zonda might be nice on the same basis but it's too "look at me" for my taste. (Says the bloke who selected Imola Orange for his NSX :o )
I had a nice chat with the Ascari Sales Manager as well as a good look at and sit in their demo car at Goodwood FOS this year. It's brutally fast, understated, beautifully finished and right up my street... if only I had £235K burning a hole in my pocket. :shock:

Obviously one of my "Fantasy Garages" would be located in my trackside property at RaceResortAscari. 8)

Mark

glenlewis
02-11-2005, 06:40 PM
I will probably go back to a Skyline GTR 34, or possibly a tuned Audi RS4.

I can't get them twinturbos out of my blood...

:)

TheQuietOne
03-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Maybe it's just me but doesn't it feel like cheating on someone...talking about an alternative to you NSX... :D

Matt

Papalazarou
03-11-2005, 05:56 PM
I nearly bought a Fezzer 328 instead of the NSX but decided the Honda was a safer proposition. I don't think the Honda's as pretty as the 328 and possibly only possibly doesn't sound as good.
But I couldn't afford to run a 328 and couldn't live with the average build quality, offset driving position and heavy clutch. Additionally, the late 80's Ferrari's always look delicate to me.
I suppose as a weekend toy it'd be fun though.

BabyNSX
03-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Say for some reason, any reason really, you had to replace your NSX with another vehicle what would you choose?

Richard

this only makes sense if you replace it with a vehicle of the same value, anyone can say yeah I'll replace it with a McLaren SLR, but thats not really a valid game is it?

I replaced mine with a bill for Stamp Duty on a house the wife liked down the road :evil:

but, if the same amount of cash were available for a car - thats easy, 993S all day long. Or maybe a M5.... hmmm maybe it's not that easy. No, I've decided. 993S.

tommy
04-11-2005, 10:40 AM
well i replaced mine with a merc SLK 350, even though the merc has more luggage space even with the roof down, is better equiped, is quieter, is almost as quick, has more room inside, it is missing the one thing that makes the NSX that bit better......the drive me factor.

MattS
04-11-2005, 07:35 PM
AC Cobra for when the sun shines and an RS6 for day to day..

ctrlaltdelboy
04-11-2005, 07:42 PM
the answer to the original question, for me would be a Radical.

regarding the F 328 mentioned above - I actually prefer the lines of the 308 to the 328 (excluding the GT4 version of course!)

however, if we are talking fantasy, then the 288 is what its all about for me - shame prices are still moving further away from my budget instead of closer to it!!

Ciaran
05-11-2005, 11:17 AM
I refuse to do the "alternative" thing, my mind works much better with "also" thing. 8)
I have also perfected the ability to completely ignore the, "how the hell are you going to pay for this!!!" :roll:

I would love a 355, (just discovered that if you hold the shift key down, a "355" is "£%%", which is about right!!)

As an "also", I would love something different, like a Lambo Contach, completely over the top, almost obscene, impossible to keep running, 8 mpg, everything the NSX is not.

The fact that it would be so difficult to drive and run attracts me. (nut job or what!! :roll: )

Papalazarou
05-11-2005, 01:54 PM
In answer to ctrlaltdelboy's comment about the 308 being prettier than the 328, I agree. However, the 328 isn't much different to look at and you'd get a much later car .
With regard to the 355, well yeah it's a really beautiful car, but just too much to run, for me.
I live about 30 miles from where they make the Ariel Atom, apparently the quickest road going road car from 0-100-0. 275 bhp in 550kg. Now that's an interesting option. :twisted:

James.

simonprelude
07-11-2005, 09:14 AM
I am looking for the next thing, exactly on my lines, if keeping the NSX then a Countach is in the frame, if not then Gallardo / Murcielago !! Probably in Green or Orange.

As an "also", I would love something different, like a Lambo Contach, completely over the top, almost obscene, impossible to keep running, 8 mpg, everything the NSX is not.

The fact that it would be so difficult to drive and run attracts me. (nut job or what!! :roll: )

mcibuk
07-11-2005, 05:42 PM
My choice would be Aston Martin DB9 or Lambo Gallardo - but i'd keep the NSX as long as my numbers come up on Wednesday!

swlabhot
08-11-2005, 03:06 PM
My dream list of toys to have :D

1) Carrera GT (fantasy)
2) Enzo (fantasy)
3) Merc SLR (fantasy)
4) Lambo Mucielago (possible reality from here downwards, if I find the right bank manager)
4) Lambo Gallardo
5) F430 Spider
6) Aston AMV8
7) 996 GT2

... ... .......

Rob_Fenn
08-11-2005, 03:54 PM
If you want an AMV8 i know of one i can get hold of this week :wink:

TheQuietOne
09-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Rob,

Any idea on the premium, my mate and his brother both have them on order (5th or 6th on their waiting lists) and they are wondering what they ight fetch above book?

Cheers,

Matt.

Rob_Fenn
09-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Did they go on the factory tour? I might of met them! Tom Hartley want's £115k for one i think...so what's that, £25k profit?

-Rob

TheQuietOne
09-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Yes a few weeks ago, I think theirs is from Stratstone if that helps.

He'll be please with that...there was one in Autocar two weeks ago for £97K, which didn't look so good!

Matt.

DJWRAY
10-11-2005, 02:42 PM
cant remember what its called,but the car off the beginning of the italian job

DJWRAY
10-11-2005, 02:47 PM
muira?

Clive
24-11-2005, 08:57 PM
You can't really beat an NSX for the money; it's the sensible but off-the-wall choice. Money is always the object so no fantasy cars here, but what I'm really trying to find is a Light Car Company Rocket. It is the true link between bikes and cars. I so hope I can find one, one day. Makes the NSX seem common.

Clive

Rob_Fenn
25-11-2005, 10:22 AM
I remember that car, wasn't it a complete business failure though? Why not just go for an Ariel Atom? Looks even more extreme, despit having two seats. The Rocket just looks like a single seater, i'd rather just buy a proper one.

-Rob