PDA

View Full Version : No Claims Discount

MattS
31-10-2005, 12:25 PM
I was just getting some renewal quotes for my NSX....Swinton and Liverpool-Victoria have both said that the 9years NCD that I have on our other car cannot be applied to the NSX. They reckon that the NCD can only be applied to any one car at a time and so I would only have 1 years NCD for the NSX (as I've only had it for a year).

This seems ridiculous, but they were both adamant that this is 'industry standard' and that I can't apply the NCD to other cars..

Can anyone out there shed any light on this please?

TheQuietOne
31-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Hi,

I've always been told that too sorry - on both my cars and with about 5 different insurers...

Matt.

MattS
31-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Spoke to Adrian Flux, who gave me the best renewal quote. They said that the NCD can only be used on one car, however 'most insurers use a bit of common sense and give a discount equivalent to the NCD'.

I got them to change my details so that I only have 1 year NCD for the NSX (instead of 9), they phoned the underwriter and the quote didn't change..Thank God...!!

DamianW
31-10-2005, 02:39 PM
A trick I did when I went from one to two cars.... I got my existing insurer to also insure the new car, and agree to copy my NCD onto the new policy as a sweetner. The quote was ridiculous mind.

I then rang them back a few days later to send me proof of NCD on the new car, which they did. I then switched the insurance to a more competitive quote and got a refund (minus a bit) on the first one.

If you see what I mean! Bit of a pain, but I ended up with a competitive insurance quote along with duplicate NCD. Playing the system a bit, but I don't have a great deal of respect for insurance companies...

UltraViolet
31-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Not sure on the validity of Damian's approach as from my experience you do have to state if NCD earned or mirrored, however I concur with the responses that you do not have the NCD on another car but many companies will mirror it. I myslef have the NSX on a policy which has mirrored the full NCD from my CRX but is also 3 years earned so is getting closer to being full in its own right.

DamianW
31-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Never been asked if my NCD was earned or "mirrored" before! And thats having owned something like 16 cars. Your mileage may vary as they say.

TheQuietOne
31-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi all,

I've never been asked if mine's earned or mirrored either, after owning admittedly less cars, something like 8 since passing my test 8 years ago!

Quite an interesting thread though, shows different ways around the same problem!

Matt

Kevin
31-10-2005, 06:07 PM
depending on what your other car is, it may pay to change the policies around, and therefore earn a 2nd NCD on a cheaper car.

We have had to go through a bit of an exercise, while my wife went from personal car to company car and back again.

If you owned 10 cars, it's not like you can drive them all at the same time. It should be YOU that earns the NCD not the car. Typical behaviour from rip-off insurance companies.

Rob_Fenn
31-10-2005, 06:29 PM
My sentiments exactly. Let's face it though, they're here to make money...

UltraViolet
01-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Never been asked if my NCD was earned or "mirrored" before! And thats having owned something like 16 cars. Your mileage may vary as they say.

They won't ask - they assume earned. If you check your policy most mirrored ones will state the number of years earned even if they mirror a great number.

Kevin - I know what you mean and I'm not here to defend insurance companies, but at least having NCD per car means if you have an accident in one - you don't lose the NCD on the other(s) (Although obviously you would still need to mention if you have had a claim when asked - so you could potentially have full NCD and a claim in the year)

With the 'can't drive them all at once' - true, and it is fair to say that risk increases while driving (hence reduction in premium for limited mileage policies) - but theft is more likely to happen while you are not driving. So while you are out enjoying car number 1, your other 9 cars are all vulnerable to theft or vandalism, but are still covered.

DamianW
01-11-2005, 05:31 PM
They won't ask - they assume earned. If you check your policy most mirrored ones will state the number of years earned even if they mirror a great number.

Well when I did it the insurer sent me a letter stating in black and white that the policy on my new car (Elise) had X years NCD, the same as my other car (Vectra... spit... worst car ever). The new insurer was perfectly happy with this.

I mean fine, they can use small print all they like, but if they can't even play by their own rules they can shove it as far as I'm concerned.

Ciaran
04-11-2005, 10:55 PM
...eeer, almost afraid to get into this...... but what the hell, I am in the business, yes the dreaded insurance business. We are brokers here in Ireland.

The NCB thing has always been a dark area, who makes the rules? and who inforces them?? The bottomline is that each Insurer can apply the rules as they see fit, ie earned or mirrored. One Insurer will accept mirrored another will not.

I have been trying to get a policy underwritten over here (which I though you had over there!!) which would cover two or three family cars plus your home, for two drivers, ie his & hers. Insurers like motorists that are home owners, and as has been said, you can't drive all the cars at the same time (the theft element is tiny compaired to the liability risk, ask for a third party only premium at next renewal and see the difference). These policies should be available to you and the combined premium should be competitive.

Manipulating the bonus is absolutely allowed, it is a key part of our business. Use your max bonus on the highest cost premium. Remember a broker will (should) manipulate the system for you, a direct Insurer will not. Also if a broker over steps the mark, they have a legal duty of care to you , and will have a significant Professional Indemnity policy to cover any error. A direct Insurer has "NO" duty of care to you. They supply you with a policy document and they will legally rest on that in the case of any problems. As someone here (Kevin, I think) found out that one of your Insurers was verbally confirming that track days were covered (to several members), but on checking with a supervisor this was denied, and the policy document was quoted once again.

Huge subject & very boring (thats why I need an NSX....)

NSXGB
04-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Churchills done me a deal when I bought the NSX and matched the full no claims as I insured both my cars with them. I had this experience with Bennets years before. Might be worth ringing round a few.

UltraViolet
05-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the clarification Ciaran - I did think that was the case. I just always make sure I am explicit about all details so that I cannot then suddenly find myself in a 'situation' should something go wrong.

My broker did mention the combined policies to me as I insure my home and two cars with the same broker. However due to different insurers being good for different risks, and not all offering combined policies - it worked out cheaper having the 3 seperate policies rather than the one combined.

They do the mirroring too so not so bad. When I opted out of the company car scheme and took cash instead, they also covered a new Lexus on a mirrored policy so I had one car on full NCD earned, and 2 on mirrored!

Ciaran
05-11-2005, 11:59 AM
yep, that's always the way, the combined idea is great but then you get niche players, who are very good in specific segments.

Without doubt, getting the best "use" of your bonus, is the key.

NSXGB
05-11-2005, 07:19 PM
...I forgot to mention that at the next renewal, I took both policies elsewhere with no problem and now have two bonafide full NCD policies.