PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion Response from Honda Dealer

JQD84983
23-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Had the NSX serviced today at Lincoln Honda. My dad took it for me and I asked him to mention the slight corrosion on the rear wheel arch at the bottom. It's not much, maybe the size of a fingernail but it has cracked the paint slightly and will need sorting eventually. Car is 6 years old this year (not sure of original date it was registered) so is close to end of paint warranty period.

Thing is the dealer response was that they would not even put it to Honda as "it was forward facing" area and they would not entertain it?

What does everyone think. For me the point where it is started has not come from a stone chip and is not forward facing as the area close to the wheel arch is covered with a plastic liner.

Its not the end of the World but thinking of writing a letter to Honda.

Cheers

John

Senninha
23-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Talk to Ian (WhyOne) as he had cause to have some paint tendered too by Honda. He may have some advise to share?

HTH

Paul

WhyOne?
24-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Hi John,

The tale of my corrosion episode if reasonably well documented in this thread:

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=3443&highlight=corrosion

As you will see, my car was about 6 months outside of the standard corrosion warranty when I brought this issue to Honda's attention. My dealership approached Honda regarding the corrosion and the claim was dismissed because the car was no longer covered by the warranty.

I then wrote a long letter to Honda UK, including pictures.

Amongst other things I stressed was my loyalty to the Honda brand over the last 12 years (7 cars, always maintained within the franchised dealer network...and a lawnmower...and a strimmer!!!), the fact that the NSX is something Honda should be proud of and that Y1 is an especially clean and tidy example, again, always maintained to Honda's specifications within the Honda dealer network.

I personally never heard back directly from Honda UK, but one afternoon my friendly service manager called me to say the work had been authorised.

So the message here is to persevere!

Good luck!

Ian
:)

Boomin33
24-08-2010, 08:02 AM
here's my 2 cents.
I've got it on mine. I definitely think it's from the rear tires kicking up muck in one form or another.... either inside the arch, outside the arch etc. something is banging it hard enough to create a microscopic gap for oxidation to start?

It's too coincidental that:
1. it's on both sides of mine ( although very small as you mention )
2. that so many people have had the same issue etc.

I don't blame Honda, but rather the roads we drive on.

I guess Honda could have either put more enamel on....or could have included some mudflaps as they do on many of their other models ( for obvious reason )... but then again how many supercars had mudflap rear panel chip protectors??

Yes, there would be no harm in trying one on and I think at 5, 6, 7, 8 years it's just that.

I'm fixing mine and just racking it up to cost of ownership. ;)

WhyOne?
24-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Yep, it is a good point.

Corrosion around the wheel arches is always (quite reasonably) going to be attributed to stone chipping.

My corrosion (around the drivers-side windscreen washer nozzle) almost certainly was not caused by flying stones.

Boomin33
24-08-2010, 08:37 AM
I was thinking about your exception!
somewhere along the line of installing those nozzles, somehow the paint seal must have been compromised.. definitely not from normal driving wear and tear.

Hey, it's going to cost a fair amount to correct the paintwork on these cars.
Go for it JQD! if Honda pay for it. Result.

For me... no time... or not motivated enough to get into a prolonged negotiation with Honda UK

Nick Graves
24-08-2010, 04:50 PM
The classic front wing tinworm is probably (like Y1's nozzle) caused by the plastic spoiler grommet vibrating and the paint is very brittle on ally bodywork. Conventional stonechips don't seem to corrode on the NSX. Probably because the water evaporates, whereas in a blister, it cannot.

Similarly, the blister on X6's driver's door appears to be classic internal corrosion; you see it on steel bodied cars, where the gap between the skin & the frame is not properly pained & wax-sealed.

Also on the double-skinned rear wheelarches on many Civics & Preludes.

I very much doubt it's stone chips.

JQD84983
24-08-2010, 05:04 PM
I was more disappointed that the dealer was not even willing to try and put the claim to Honda. I think I will write a letter an Ian has suggested.

I don't feel from looking at the mark it has been caused from the outside but maybe I am biased. If I have to pay for the touch up then so be it but for me a car of this price should be more resilient to this normal wear and tare as the car has only covered 20K miles in 6 years.

Thanks

John