PDA

View Full Version : Which oil?

rocco1
20-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Hi guys,what oil are you guys using in youre NSX? I have plenty of oil in stock inc Mobil1 5-30, Castrol Edge 5-30 also Shell Helex 5-30. or should i be using 0-40?

gcon45
20-08-2010, 07:12 PM
I use Silkolene Pro S 5W40 (Now rebranded as Fuchs Titan Pro Race).

It's an ester based shear stable fully synthetic, which is ideal for of the NSX IMO.

NSXGB
20-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Stick with the Mobil One 0w40.

amo
20-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Hi guys,what oil are you guys using in youre NSX? I have plenty of oil in stock inc Mobil1 5-30, Castrol Edge 5-30 also Shell Helex 5-30. or should i be using 0-40?

i use the shell helex 5-30 change every 6 months

thx amo

havoc
20-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I've just changed to the same stuff as gcon45.

I think Kaz uses Mobil-1, but I can't be certain.*

Honda have used Shell Helix for ages for all of their cars.

* Had a pretty interesting conversation with him about oil when picking up the NSX last weekend. He suggested that there is no "one oil is best" as each engine has different design-tolerances ('gaps', effectively), and as such could react differently to an oil than a superficially similar engine (e.g. NSX and E46 M3 engines). I'm probably missing a technical step out somewhere, but that was the gist of the conversation. And as such, ester-synthetics may be better than 'pseudo-synthetics' in terms of thermal behaviour and longevity, but might not 'be the right fit' for that engine, potentially.

gcon45
20-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Stick with the Mobil One 0w40.

Great oil. My Dad has an E39 528i that he bought new in 1997.
There's 140,000 miles on it now and it's still running very well.
It was run on Mobil 1 0W40 from day 1.

I have used Mobil 1 0W40 in a couple of Hondas before (B16 and K20) however and while it offers better cold cranking viscosity (great when starting your car in sub-zero conditions), I found that the oil burns up quite a bit under heavy use (IE - spending the majority of the time in VTEC and on the red line). I found this strange seeing as it is equally as viscous at normal operating temperature as 5W40.

I also found that from a cold start the Mobil 1 0W40 occasionally caused the tappets to be quite noisy from a cold start along with the occasional plume of smoke - problems cured by switching to 5W40.

Quite a few Porsche owners have reported similar problems I believe and that could be why there are more 5W40 oils on Porsche's 'approved' list now than 0W40 oils.

Mobil 1 0W40 still is a great oil however, always has been and it's still one of our best sellers. It is after all one of the original flagship fully synthetic oils.

Just my 2p...

Sudesh
20-08-2010, 09:57 PM
I think Kaz uses Mobil-1, but I can't be certain.*

Yeah he does, had a chat with Kaz last week as the OEM recommended oil is hard to get here. So we had a chat and mobil one is what he uses and has been tested/dyno from memory in the NSX. Best to ask Kaz as I cant recall the whole thing but think it was 0w 40

Connor if you remeber it was the oil I asked you about last week.

nobby
20-08-2010, 10:11 PM
great timing on this thread btw! :beer:

as i head back from my hols in switzerland/Germany over sat/sun next week i hope to get new oil and filter replaced and was wondering what oil to buy

used to run mobil 1 0-40 in my ATR, and as connor mentioned it did do all the things he said but saying that, the engine never gave bother!

just want to be sure of the best oils for the nsx.

Sudesh, after my trip would u recommend a flush of gearbox, and brake fluids too?

done 8 laps on the ring, so just wondering ...

gcon45
20-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Connor if you remeber it was the oil I asked you about last week.

Yeah I remember you asking Sudesh. Did I not reply? If not I'm really sorry! Could of swore I did!

We have Mobil 1 0w40 in stock.
Both 5L and 1L.

jaffaz32
23-08-2010, 10:25 PM
have a read of this oil test article.

Makes a very interesting read.

compares allot of brands mentioned above with results to back it up.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

gcon45
23-08-2010, 10:43 PM
have a read of this oil test article.

Makes a very interesting read.

compares allot of brands mentioned above with results to back it up.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Interesting read.

I can't help but think however that the results of magazine tests like this are dependent less on the products actual quality and more about how many back-handers take place between certain brands and the publishers.