PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the R35 GT-R

racer98
15-08-2010, 05:22 AM
Well, I know most of you have had a chance to talk with some owners of the R35 in the UK and what's been your take on the owners attitude when you talk to them on the cars ?

Interesting or 2+2= duh ?:cool:

gcon45
15-08-2010, 08:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOAXJTTc__w&feature=youtube_gdata

He he!

But on a serious note, a friend of mine has one and it's an immense car. Definitely recommend one.

Just remember to have deep pockets for service / repair though.

AR
15-08-2010, 10:32 AM
I know is the norm now a days, but the paint on several examples , can't hold a candle to the NSX.

I find the seats too tight in the front.

Can't get on with the Seating/Steering/Paddles.

Huge Boot!

Looks good and is highly capable, but I am analog and it is digital!

Dragonlady
15-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Don't bump into anything at the front, if the the bonnet pops up for the pedestrian protection system, that's another 11k to fix........OUCH!

Does this car take away driver involvement? I've heard an idiot can drive it fast without crashing. Is this a good thing or bad. I like to be in control of the car, not the other way round.

My 2p

Ian

highlandsaf
15-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Hi I own both NSX and R35. Don't believe all the B/s about the R35 some of it is sour grapes . Bear in mind as well the cars ar technically decades apart ! Any idiot can drive any car fast the R35 takes it to another level. Don't make statements till you've tried the goods. The NSX will always be an exceptional car but the R35 different league only time will tell if it will last like the NSX ?

NoelWatson
15-08-2010, 06:28 PM
I had one come past me and exit the Mini-Karoussel on two wheels. Most impressive.

NSX 2000
15-08-2010, 08:35 PM
I have to admit I'm tempted, but if you think only old people drive Honda's is bad, Nissan and green Micra's comes to mind :no:

The other thing that puts me off is I've had both a Subaru P1 and RB320 and I sold both in the end as they just drew the wrong attention, even though both were wonderful cars to drive, and i'm temted with the current 330S as I feel due to it's shape it has lost a bit of that nasty side image.

HTH

Paul.

JQD84983
15-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Does this car take away driver involvement? I've heard an idiot can drive it fast without crashing. Is this a good thing or bad.
Ian

Well judging by wrecked exotics there are plenty of people buying and crashing them.

Personally I think you have to take your hat off to Nissan. 60K for a car that is on a par with the 911 Turbo and in some ways can out gun it has to have respect. I have said before I think it is a different car to the NSX and as such it is unfair to make a direct comparison. They are both great in different ways.

Dragonlady
15-08-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm not saying it's a bad car, I respect it for it's technological advancements, it's just that could it make an average driver (like me) get over confident in ones abilities with all the driver aids getting you out of trouble all the time. I think cars need somthing to keep you alert when you are close to the limit. I just think that the R35 can be a little too much point, press and turn.

Ian

racer98
16-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Don't bump into anything at the front, if the the bonnet pops up for the pedestrian protection system, that's another 11k to fix........OUCH!

Does this car take away driver involvement? I've heard an idiot can drive it fast without crashing. Is this a good thing or bad. I like to be in control of the car, not the other way round.

My 2p

Ian

Yeah, seen that item on the Export GTR for RHD markets only but its not on the LHD market ones ?

Some how the yanks have managed to still crash them with all of the items and bits on there to help it not too but dont hold me to this but once the R35 is done, I do not see the GTR coming back into the USA since the dealers have not been any help and let alone Nissan was not ready for the warranty item that went bad and not only its horrible customer service that has come out from its development but Renault is trying to get the Leaf ready for the USA market, I do not see a GTR soon in the next gen , I hope I'm wrong.

racer98
16-08-2010, 12:07 AM
I had one come past me and exit the Mini-Karoussel on two wheels. Most impressive.

Sadly, I was at a stop light in my daily (S13) 240sx and an owner of a brand new one pulls up next to me at a stop light, next he , took off like an idiot, and the best thing happened ------------a copper rolled out of the gas station and light him up.

LOL.

Papalazarou
16-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I really like the GTR, but yet to get a ride. I don't think the running costs are as horrific as the layman would have us believe. In fact when I googled it there were a couple of places doing pretty competitive servicing rates.
Most modern sports cars are going to be expensive to run if you use them. At least the depreciation's lower than a 997 Turbo.

Cheers,

James.

P.s, been looking at the Boxster Spyder lately. Any comments?

simonprelude
16-08-2010, 02:00 PM
After having seen so many of them at Wilton house on Saturday, my verdict hasn't changed.

If you want a 4 seater GT car and you don't fancy the rest of the competition then get one. If I was in the market for one I think my money would be on a C63 AMG in White.

Porsche Boxster Spyder, looks quirky, wouldn't pay that sort of money for one though plus at the end of the day it's a Boxster, which you only buy if you can't afford a 911.

racer98
16-08-2010, 02:06 PM
I really like the GTR, but yet to get a ride. I don't think the running costs are as horrific as the layman would have us believe. In fact when I googled it there were a couple of places doing pretty competitive servicing rates.
Most modern sports cars are going to be expensive to run if you use them. At least the depreciation's lower than a 997 Turbo.

Cheers,

James.

P.s, been looking at the Boxster Spyder lately. Any comments?

Just make sure you acquire a used or broken transmission have it sent out for the upgrade and also with the transaxle oil cooler up grade installed + also be wary of used engines in the UK since 200 used engines were sent to the crusher and mysteriously appeared for sale in HK and southern california. that said spares are good but bad for space in your garrage ,

as for the boxter "s" would be the way to go + also have the front bumper removed and have the front radiators inspected since no one cleans them out they get packed full with road dirt and have issued with the AC not working !

Exhaust + 2 peice rotors + really good quality brake pads and you will have a very nice daily driver + something you can take to the track. I'd look into a spare set of rims for track use and use something mild for daily driving since the michelins PS2 only will last you so long .

racer98
16-08-2010, 02:08 PM
After having seen so many of them at Wilton house on Saturday, my verdict hasn't changed.

If you want a 4 seater GT car and you don't fancy the rest of the competition then get one. If I was in the market for one I think my money would be on a C63 AMG in White.

Porsche Boxster Spyder, looks quirky, wouldn't pay that sort of money for one though plus at the end of the day it's a Boxster, which you only buy if you can't afford a 911.

Best part is having a 6.3 benz, it won't be valet parked in the back with the Nissan Micras,

LOL

but the good thing is, the person valet parking your benz would park it up front and hopefully wont go for a joy ride.

Where as the GTR just takes one wrong person to driver it and a $30,000 service bill is on hand.

Papalazarou
16-08-2010, 04:22 PM

Oh that old classic! I've had a 911 and my 986 Boxster was a much more planted car.
On Cambered bumpy moorland roads give me a Boxster or a Cayman any day over a 997.
The Merc you can keep. I'd take my chances with a GTR instead.
Also, people are bleating on about cars going wrong. Isn't that what the warranty's for?
Regardless, when new cars come out, there is always a certain amount of speculation about reliability, cost of servicing and component failure. Statistically nothing's immune. I wonder what people were saying about early NSX's with snapring failures and a thousand pounds for a set of tyres?

Cheers

James

markc
16-08-2010, 07:17 PM
... what's been your take on the owners attitude when you talk to them on the cars ?

Wasn't the original question about the owners "attitude" rather than their cars ability?

Many GTR owners seem to be hugely defensive on the subject of the price, almost always comparing their car's performance to cars costing a lot more.

Essentially they seem to have a bit of an inferiority complex about paying so little for their chosen wheels :P

There's no question that the GTR is amazing value for money but it also offers amazing performance outright and if I we're an owner I'd want to focus on that :)

At the end of the day the GTR is a £60K car because anyone can buy a new one for £60K. I still maintain that if the GTR buyer genuinely had say £120K to spend they'd have bought a Porsche/Ferrari/Aston/Lambo/Merc etc.

So, childish as it may be, I usually try to provoke the GTR boys on being cheapskates :D

On to the comments on the car itself. The performance is fantastic and although there are lots of computers involved, these don't stop it being an entertaining steer as well. On the downside the ride is terrible, they're physically huge and they're not what anyone could call pretty?

Do I hanker after a GTR, NO but I don't blame anyone with £60K to spend on a car (which I don't) doing so.

My hypothetical £60K would go on an R8 V8, GT3 or maybe even an M3 (E92) and pocket the change... or add a Caterham R300 to spank those GTR boys anytime it's not raining :cool:

Cheers

Mark

havoc
20-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Just read through this. Mark's post pretty-much sums up my thoughts (although I've not had the fortune to drive one).

Only thing I will add - I find the NSX is 'too quick' for most UK roads (as in you're doing illegal speeds before you feel the car start to 'work' underneath you, which for me is when driving gets interesting), so how much worse must driving a GT-R be?!? Twice the power, twice the traction, twice the grip*. Which equals what...8 times as boring at legal speeds?!? :laugh:

With my £60k I'd get a mint CSL or Sport-Evo 2, and an R300 with the change, rather than an R35. Techno-fests don't interest me in driver's cars...I'd far rather something 'organic' and reliant on your ability (or lack thereof).

* -ish, anyway. You get my drift.

racer98
21-08-2010, 04:12 PM
So, childish as it may be, I usually try to provoke the GTR boys on being cheapskates

Spot on.................

NSX 2000
23-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Do I take the Aston?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1908055.htm

Or do take the Nissan?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1933968.htm

Some times it's not just about the speed, and bragging rights down the pub, but about parking at the front of the Hotel and not at the back :D

highlandsaf
23-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Shocked really!Didn't think guys could be so bitchy and shallow ?1.19 round the top gear track 7.29 round the ring what ever the make or model the CAR does the business turns heads and is an every day driver not many cars can say that.
So who out of you guys who owns one? Who can afford one (only 60k which is peanuts late 40k for used )? Driven one ???????????????????????????? Oh and give a caterham a good run and keeps you dry

The experts ALL rate the GTR Clarkson said it's the new yard stick but he also loves the NSX ???? He knows a good car when HE DRIVES ONE

Regards Steve:laugh:

NSX 2000
23-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Shocked really!Didn't think guys could be so bitchy and shallow ?1.19 round the top gear track 7.29 round the ring what ever the make or model the CAR does the business turns heads and is an every day driver not many cars can say that.
So who out of you guys who owns one? Who can afford one (only 60k which is peanuts late 40k for used )? Driven one ???????????????????????????? Oh and give a caterham a good run and keeps you dry

The experts ALL rate the GTR Clarkson said it's the new yard stick but he also loves the NSX ???? He knows a good car when HE DRIVES ONE

Regards Steve:laugh:

I'm not into the whole look at my wad but yes I could afford one, and I know a few other NSX owners who could as well, I don't think anybody was being bitchy or shallow, but just honest comments as you did ask in your original post.

Speaking of the original post I couldn't help notice how many were for sell
on Piston Heads and how cheap they are now. I wonder how much they will be in say Jan / Feb 2011.