PDA

View Full Version : Warning: A30 Hartley Wintney -> Hook

QuietJim
12-08-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm told this has been there for 3 weeks but it came as something of a surprise to me this morning.

Between Hartley Wintney and Hook on the A30 there's a stretch of dual carriageway that goes:
- Tiny blast of two lanes
- Pinch point down to one lane for a turning
- Crest
- Two lanes for the remainder

Now if you're like me, you're lining up your overtake for the second stretch beyond the crest sometime before you arrive there, final check over the crest and away ... but be warned, the second lane IS NO LONGER THERE! Instead there's crosshatching with new bollards right where you used to be overtaking.

The only warning is a tiny "New road layout ahead" board beneath the left-turn sign, which I nearly missed even when I did a second pass to check for signage.

Someone is going to be killed there, make sure it isn't one of us.

howellr
13-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Just been to The Netherlands by car (not the NSX) - what a great place but they have the highest road bumps that I have ever seen.

You tootle at 30 mph in the villages up and down over the humps and then there will be a road sign telling you that you can now go 60 kph... does this mean that the roads are flat.. nope... you now have to climb bumps as high as the Welsh mountains every 300 meters :-(

But I loved the fact that (seems like - not sure of the actual stats) 50% of people are on push bikes. You can also ride a scooter with no helmet in the cycle lanes and most satisfying, lorries are not allowed to overtake on dual carridgeways - heaven !!

Regards

Nick Graves
13-08-2010, 06:46 PM
I've been to Enfield; they've installed flappy 'keep left' signs every 25m along a central reserve, totally obscuring all the mini-roundabouts!

Would it help the energy crisis if we simply burned all the road planners, experts* and other interfering busybodies?

Plus they've still not repaired the local collapsed road tit that tried the remove the NSX's air dam.

* you get an expert by combining a has-been with a drip under pressure.