PDA

View Full Version : centre speaker amp

britlude
29-07-2010, 07:20 PM
the centre/sub speaker has decided to give up the ghost, the only sound it makes is like an angry insect trapped in the car!

i've changed the troublesome caps, and replaced the output FETs, but it still has the same symptoms. Even just powering the amp up, without any input signals from the head unit gives the same noise, So it's buggered!!

has anyone got one out there???

L696ULO
29-07-2010, 07:40 PM
I have replaced all three amps recently with new Bose ones which I sourced from Germany. The centre amp worked out at appox EUR 120 including postage to a friend in Germany (it might be higher to UK).
I can give you the contact details if you want or you are welcome to try and get my old amp going ?

britlude
29-07-2010, 09:42 PM
hi, if you have the details, that would be appreciated, the place in Germany i used 4 years ago seems to have vanished.....

Sudesh
29-07-2010, 10:32 PM
The amp in the centre speaker [between the seats] is not like the door and sub. From memory it has a large capacitor there, rather than the green circuit board like the others. However I believe the sound to this speaker comes from the sub so maybe the AMP in the sub could be problem too? If its a repair job then speak to Kaz. I have an almost new spare centre speaker that your welcome to use to test your system if needed.

AR
29-07-2010, 11:05 PM
AFAIK it is powered by the sub amp.

britlude
30-07-2010, 08:07 AM
hi, yes, the centre/sub amp is buggered ( amp in the speaker enclosure under the passenger footplate) this it the amp I need.

the capacitor on the centre speaker itself will just be a high-pass filter to eliminate any low frequency signals at the centre speaker end!

as i said, i've already changed all the electrolytic capacitors, and checked the pcb under them (1 suspect track) this had no change, so changed the FET output transistors, again no change, so the noise is being generated somewhere else on the board.

so looking to replace the amp board.

Kaz-kzukNA1
30-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Hi, britlude.

Quite often, the leakage from the capacitor will take out one of the ICs on the board. It's in-house parts from Bose so not available through the major parts suppliers.

Also, from time to time, the surface mount chip can be damaged by the excessive heat from broken FETs and also if you place the board without any care, you could actually crack them especially the ones on the reverse side of the board.

You will need to measure the resistance at several points such as FETs as well as the voltage on each pins of ICs while the board is powered up to find the problem.

I have refurbished 'Rear' (or should I say centre/sub) Amp so if you want, you can send your broken amp to me and I can either repair it or just simply swap it with the refurbished one. Please send me an email through 'send email' option through NSXCB.

Some of the members here on NSXCB were very helpful on these Amps and sent me their broken or no longer required ones to my place.
Recently, another member 'nakamichi' sent me his Amps at free of charge to me as he no longer required them. I would like to say thank you again as I can use the parts from these boards to refurbish others.

Good example of members helping others on NSXCB.

Regards,
Kaz

L696ULO
31-07-2010, 07:28 AM
The German company is Proservice based in Cologne.
email address is utronic@proservice.biz

The part number for the rear amp is 176265-2406/08 should you need the front amp the number is 176265-2405/07. Each amp in Nov 2009 was
EUR 88.98 plus 19% tax and then there was postage of EUR 12.60 (but that was with Germany so could be more to the UK).

I'm not sure how good their English is as I was fortunate enough at the time to be working with a German speaker who also was able to make the payment on my behalf.

Silver Surfer
31-07-2010, 09:50 AM
L696ULO,
Nice to know another NSX owner based in Colchester.
Tell us more about your NSX. :)

SS

L696ULO
31-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Its a red/black 1993 NA1 which I bought in Oct last year. Box standard apart from drilled discs. I think the previous owner was a club member he had a private plate RST 301.

I was thinking about trying to arrange an Essex/Suffolk meet at some time. What do you think? http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/images/icons/icon14.gif

NSXGB
31-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Bought a new one from Bose direct before I knew better. Email frank.mueller@bose.com.

Silver Surfer
01-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Its a red/black 1993 NA1 which I bought in Oct last year. Box standard apart from drilled discs. I think the previous owner was a club member he had a private plate RST 301.

I was thinking about trying to arrange an Essex/Suffolk meet at some time. What do you think? http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/images/icons/icon14.gif

Good idea....I be keen for a mini meet...may be worth starting a new thread rather than hijacking this one.

Was the previous owner called Robert (tyreman)?

SS

L696ULO
01-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Ye, it was him I'll start up a new thread for meet http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/images/icons/icon7.gif

britlude
01-08-2010, 05:50 PM
The German company is Proservice based in Cologne.
email address is utronic@proservice.biz

The part number for the rear amp is 176265-2406/08 should you need the front amp the number is 176265-2405/07. Each amp in Nov 2009 was
EUR 88.98 plus 19% tax and then there was postage of EUR 12.60 (but that was with Germany so could be more to the UK).

thanks , proservice.biz was the suppliers of my other amps about 5 years ago, but had lost the contact info! i'll check them out, thanks for the other offers, i'll see how it pans out..

lotusolly
03-08-2010, 05:46 PM
John

Bose uk are based on the Gillingham Ind Est, or at least they were last time I passed. Spoke with the guys there a couple of years ago when I was carrying out a job for them and they seemed very helpful.

Might be worth a visit as its just around the corner from you.

If you come from the tip/DVLA site heading towards the centre of the Ind Est they are directly in front of you when you reach the roundabout.

Hope its of help

Olly

britlude
03-08-2010, 08:50 PM
ok thanks.. i'll have a look.....