PDA

View Full Version : snap rings

nsx60
28-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Evening all
I read recently that snap rings can fail on earlier cars leading to gearbox failure , there was a list of vin numbers that this could happen on , anyone know it as i have looked all over here and prime and can`t find it. Don`t know why i did`nt just write it down when i saw it first time around.

Thanks in advance for the abundance of knowledge that never ceases to amaze me on this site !!

s

NSXGB
28-07-2010, 06:47 PM
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/transmission.htm

Sudesh
28-07-2010, 09:22 PM
This is worth talking to Kaz about. Not all cars are affected by this and I remember talking to Kaz only a month or two ago where he mentioned JDM cars were not affected. So maybe be worth asking him about UK cars?

Kaz-kzukNA1
29-07-2010, 03:07 PM
First of all, let’s be clear. There is always a chance of snap ring failure if it has similar design as our NSX.
It could happen on my NSX but also on other Honda models but chances are very rare.

I have never dealt with this issue in Japan but even with the JDM NSX, I saw a photo of snap ring failure on one NSX but it was caused by other reasons.

JDM NSX never used J4A4 series GBox and instead, it was using J4A3 ones due to different gear ratio and thus, I have never heard of snap ring failure caused by the issue of trans case manufacturing process.

UK model was using J4A4 series for 91 and 92 models but as Sudesh mentioned, not all of the Gbox within the range were affected. I don't even know whether any of the UK NSX were using the GBox within the range or not. You can check your GBox no by looking at the sticker/plate on it.

As far as I know, there was no Technical Service Bulletin released from Honda for European market but I don’t have enough experience here.

Quick check can be done by putting the gear in 1st or 2nd and play with your throttle pedal on-off-on-off several times to shake the internal parts of Gbox. If your gear lever moves a lot (like trying to get out of the gear) or if you hear grinding noise (I hope not), then time to stop the car.

Please don’t confuse yourself with the clicking/crunking noise of driveshaft or gear backrush as well as the noise caused by the worn out bearings inside the GBox.

If you have the original snap ring failure caused by the trans case manufacturing issue, it should have showed up by now, I guess.

Kaz