PDA

View Full Version : Ayrton Senna/Top Gear

Sudesh
25-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Anyone watching the Top Gear? Talking about Ayrton Senna

Sudesh
25-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Was a great mini review to Senna, well worth a watch on youtube or various other sources.

gumball
25-07-2010, 08:15 PM
A lovely piece, I always get emotional when it comes to Ayrton, so many great memories of his racing and such a good man.

TheSebringOne
26-07-2010, 12:23 AM
What an awesome tribute from TG ! I can't wait to see the new film out next year or is it this year?

Senninha
26-07-2010, 07:16 AM
What an awesome tribute from TG ! I can't wait to see the new film out next year or is it this year?

Here's the answer ... :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00t8qfb/Top_Gear_Series_15_Episode_5/

NSX 2000
26-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Due to the outrageous money demands of Bernie:angry: (he gets money for all the old clips of F1), this episode of Top Gear will only be shown with the Ayrton Senna feature one more time :( , tonight on BBC2 at 7pm.

nakamichi
26-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Due to the outrageous money demands of Bernie:angry: (he gets money for all the old clips of F1), this episode of Top Gear will only be shown with the Ayrton Senna feature one more time :( , tonight on BBC2 at 7pm.
Get it recorded quick then:)

havoc
26-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Just watched it - nice piece, and proof that TG can do serious if they want to.

I said to Becs as it started "I hope they show Donington 1993"...but I guess how could they not...stunning drive, and I agree with them - he was, he is, the best F1 driver there has been.

Senninha
26-07-2010, 09:20 PM
I managed to catch up with the program tonight and enjoyed it in the company of my Dad who was on good form this evening, a rarity these days.

I have to say that I thought the whole program has to rate as one of the best they've produced for some time.

The Bug was awesome, Cameron and Tom where great guests and very genuine and the tribute to Aryton was simply superb. I dont mind admitting that I felt quite emotional watching some classic footage. I think the only 'missing' bit, particularly as Martin was interviewed, was to see the telemetry mapping of Senna vs Brundle that demonstrates so clearly why he was faster.

A great tribute, Thank you TopGear for producing such a good article and roll on next year when the new movie arrives.

regards, Paul

mutley
28-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Yup, I agree with all above, watched on Sunday, and teh repeat on Monday and it was also on BBC 3 last night.

Excellent footage, I can only imagine what Lewis Hamilton was feeling driving that car.

I kinda thought the NSX would get a wee mention at the end though.

Jim

NSX 2000
28-07-2010, 09:31 PM
I recorded this and have only just watched it.

If I was Honda, I'd be thinking why don't we supply engines anymore?

Plus when Jezza puts his mind to it he can be a very good Journalist.

Boomin33
28-07-2010, 10:36 PM

never knew this, how much do you think it cost the BBC to run that footage?

NSX 2000
29-07-2010, 08:23 AM
never knew this, how much do you think it cost the BBC to run that footage?

Hi Rob

I know he or what ever the company is called charge 6 and 7 figure sums to show the old footage, and he / they spend a lot of money making sure this is the case.

Paul

JQD84983
29-07-2010, 07:37 PM
I think the only 'missing' bit, particularly as Martin was interviewed, was to see the telemetry mapping of Senna vs Brundle that demonstrates so clearly why he was faster.

I agree it was a great piece. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Glad I put the HDD recorder on for it and didn't take any notice of Top Gear magazine who said it would be on 1st August.

If the telemetry you mention was on the BBC tribute to Senna when he died I think you will find it was Johnathon Palmer who was Mclaren test driver with Senna, who's telemetry was compared. The two drivers had completely different styles and Johnathon Palmer makes the rest of us look ordinary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nevVbdvs2Dg

Its about 6 minutes in. Whole thing is excellent!

Senninha
29-07-2010, 08:25 PM
:redface: Many Thanx JQD!

Thats exactly what I was referring too.

Having seen JP at Bedford you are absolutely right ... different league to us mortals ....

Thanx for the link

regards,

JQD84983
30-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Glad to be of service that was one of my favourite pieces about the great man.

Also loved the year in the life of Mclaren that was great too. Especially when Ayrton detected a weakness in the Cosworth engine and the telemetry looked fine. The guys said to Ron Dennis what do you want us to do? Ron said if Ayrton says its not right change the engine. When they stripped it down there was a fault and Ayrton was spot on.

A true genius :)

TheSebringOne
01-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Paul, I think it comes down to cost and once they received enough publicity and recognition, they pull out of the sport. When Senna was dominating F1 in his Honda powered Mclaren (most successful F1 car at the time & so far?) and Honda announced their withdrawal of supplying engines, they went to Pug engines and they were not as good or reliable and it wasn't long before he left Mclaren.

I think what Bridgestone are doing at the end of the season may be another example?