PDA

View Full Version : Manual wind up/down head lights.

jpspringall
12-07-2010, 02:57 PM
After the weekend car still going, made it a wedding and back, including being sat in traffic for 2 hours on the M25.

Give it another 2 weeks, and i'll start to believe that it's not going to breakdown on me.

Anyway, having a conversation with my mum who owns a celica GT4, and asked if the NSX had a manual wind up/down system for the headlights, as her's does. Not so much in terms of it breaking but more in terms of the lights freezing in whatever position they are in.

James

Sudesh
12-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Are you asking DOES the NSX have manual controls for the headlights? If so then YES it does.

After the weekend car still going, made it a wedding and back, including being sat in traffic for 2 hours on the M25.

Give it another 2 weeks, and i'll start to believe that it's not going to breakdown on me.

Anyway, having a conversation with my mum who owns a celica GT4, and asked if the NSX had a manual wind up/down system for the headlights, as her's does. Not so much in terms of it breaking but more in terms of the lights freezing in whatever position they are in.

James

Nick Graves
12-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Just be sure to pull the fuse before winding, otherwise the motor may 'snatch' the winder out your hand & go back to where it thinks it should be.

jpspringall
12-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Sorry thats exactly what i meant.

Should have explained it better.

Thanks

James

AR
12-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Yes they do is in the manual, even my old 1983 RX7 fb had it. :)

TheSebringOne
12-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Yep, NSX has manual wind system just in case. My X1/9 even has one and thats been out since 1972!, Mine isn't that old by the way! :)

Nick Graves
13-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Yep, NSX has manual wind system just in case. My X1/9 even has one and thats been out since 1972!, Mine isn't that old by the way! :)

And ancient NSXs sometimes blow the control diodes which caused the infamous X-1/9 wink!

Here's my later one:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/Scan10003.jpg

TheSebringOne
13-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Nice Nick, a Grand Finale no less. :)

Nick Graves
14-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Penultimo Finale I suppose. IIRC, it was registered about August 1987.

The Gran Finale was exactly the same, except they added a boot spoiler & some badges for the 88-89 MY.

markc
14-07-2010, 12:34 PM
And ancient NSXs sometimes blow the control diodes which caused the infamous X-1/9 wink!

Here's my later one:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/Scan10003.jpg

Fortunate that you broke down at garage... albeit a Land Rover one ;)

My sister had one (her car was used in the TV comedy series "Brush Strokes") and I remember heavy steering, daft cross-eyed instruments and that the roof leaked all the time... fun though :)

Cheers

Mark

Nick Graves
14-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Fortunate that you broke down at garage... albeit a Land Rover one ;)

My sister had one (her car was used in the TV comedy series "Brush Strokes") and I remember heavy steering, daft cross-eyed instruments and that the roof leaked all the time... fun though :)

Cheers

Mark

You're forgetting the throttle pedal bush that constantly worked adrift, crunchy 3rd gear synchro, a gear linkage which was best with the pivot removed, carburetion set up too lean for emissions (think that did for the engine in the end) and passenger doors which fitted too far 'in' and...

But they were fanstastic fun when you'd got it all sorted. Unless you needed a reliable everyday car, which was when the MX-5 came along...

Unsurprisingly, a Japanese company bought an X-1/9 for research purposes and really liked what they found. They made it a bit bigger & more exquisite though!

TheSebringOne
14-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Mine is registered around March 88, I thought it was a Gf as it has the same BBS alloy wheels? Will try to find some pics of my and post. :)

TheSebringOne
14-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Nick & Mark, steering might be heavy as non PAS, so was the first NSXs. When you got going the steering is brilliant, better than the competitor then MR2 mk1 and that was better than the 308 Fezza.

Roof did leak only around the leading edges towards the top of the doors window glass, cured by used cuttings from bike inner tubes glued on!

My 3rd gear was fine, may be due to the fact I treated it to a Slick 50 gear box treatment when it was 4/5 years old. I changed the gear linkage plate with a new one & with some washers, it was almost like new!

The carb was constantly tweaked according to how it was running! Maybe need to do a carb service, but Webber stopped making carb parts, like jets etc, but service kit still available I think?

The X1/9 was one of the cars used by Honda in the design stages of the NSX.

NB. It might have been a poors man version of famous Italian cousin at Marenello, but the president of FIAT drove one everyday!

Nick Graves
15-07-2010, 10:42 AM
If you've not already done it, re-set the float level higher in the chamber. Just bend it a tad.

Mine was constantly leaning out and knackering no 3 plug (the hot one) until I did this. I wish I'd thought of it when I first got the car...

It massively improves driveability and you'll not need to bugger about constantly with the carb thereafter. I used to do it to people's X-1/9s for them after that.

The BBS wheels and spotty alcantara trim were features of the 1987 car anyway! The GF was advertised as such, but in reality that was a lie; it was merely the spoiler & badges that were different!

My roof nearly blew off on a motorway once. Think that was my previous 1981 model. Gold with the three-spoke wheels and white faux leather...

Funnily enough, my second one developed all the same faults at the same mileages. Plus rust. Only they set the carbs properly back then, so the first was a sweeter drive from the off.

The steering wasn't heavy - ever driven an 1980s FWD hot hatch without PAS? People are wusses, these days!