PDA

View Full Version : NSX clutch character?

Tom_
11-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Right, I finally got my NSX back from Plans on Friday. Amongst other things, it had a replacement clutch, and I'm not sure that all is right. However, since I've only ever driven one NSX properly, I can't be sure whether this is a problem with the car, or the symptoms of a new clutch yet to bed in, or something they all do, or just my inexperience with the NSX's clutch?

* When pulling away, the clutch judders quite a lot, to the extent that the car sometimes seems almost reluctant to move away. This can be minimised with higher revs, but I'm trying not to slip the clutch at all.
* When manoeuvring (therefore at lower revs) it's even worse - the juddering can be almost violent.
* Occasionally, moving away is accompanied by a popping sound (a bit like the stone pops you get when driving on gravel). This can also sometimes happen when coming on/off the accelerator when crawling in first (as in traffic)

Thoughts? The car, or me? :)

And is there anyone around Heathrow with a manual NA1 with whom I could meet to compare? :)

Sudesh
11-07-2010, 08:47 PM
This can be quite normal, allot of people report the same issues with the clutch ie Clutch Rattle/Judder/Shutter/ and so forth.

However I'm not sure it should be as bad as you say, on a brand new clutch though?

I myself have some clutch rattle and do the same with a little rev, a few cars I have had in, had the same issues but different levels of sound and one has almost no sound.

I think the problem is down to a bearing. Has your dealer replaced both with the new clutch?

Also the sound can be mixed up with drive shaft clunk!

Right, I finally got my NSX back from Plans on Friday. Amongst other things, it had a replacement clutch, and I'm not sure that all is right. However, since I've only ever driven one NSX properly, I can't be sure whether this is a problem with the car, or the symptoms of a new clutch yet to bed in, or something they all do, or just my inexperience with the NSX's clutch?

* When pulling away, the clutch judders quite a lot, to the extent that the car sometimes seems almost reluctant to move away. This can be minimised with higher revs, but I'm trying not to slip the clutch at all.
* When manoeuvring (therefore at lower revs) it's even worse - the juddering can be almost violent.
* Occasionally, moving away is accompanied by a popping sound (a bit like the stone pops you get when driving on gravel). This can also sometimes happen when coming on/off the accelerator when crawling in first (as in traffic)

Thoughts? The car, or me? :)

And is there anyone around Heathrow with a manual NA1 with whom I could meet to compare? :)

goldnsx
11-07-2010, 10:19 PM
This can be quite normal, allot of people report the same issues with the clutch ie Clutch Rattle/Judder/Shutter/ and so forth.
I'm sorry to contradict here but this is simply not 'normal'. :) We finished installing a new OEM clutch yesterday and the clutch is perfectly free of vibrations. But the new clutch is like a baby and likes to be treated like one for the next 1000 km because things get really hot when new and there is when shudder begins: wrong bedding-in. I had mine replaced before I bought mine from the dealer because is was shaking badly.
Tom, you describe popping sounds which sounds to me as if a engine or gearbox mount is wrong or defective (hoping that the OEM clutch has been installed perfectly). Check this out first. When did the shudder start? Right from the dealer's installation? Good luck!

Sudesh
11-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Not a problem! Well done:) Wish mine didnt rattle now, think I need a change lol

I'm sorry to contradict here but this is simply not 'normal'. :) We finished installing a new OEM clutch yesterday and the clutch is perfectly free of vibrations. But the new clutch is like a baby and likes to be treated like one for the next 1000 km because things get really hot when new and there is when shudder begins: wrong bedding-in. I had mine replaced before I bought mine from the dealer because is was shaking badly.
Tom, you describe popping sounds which sounds to me as if a engine or gearbox mount is wrong or defective (hoping that the OEM clutch has been installed perfectly). Check this out first. When did the shudder start? Right from the dealer's installation? Good luck!

NSXGB
11-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Not a problem! Well done:) Wish mine didnt rattle now, think I need a change lol

Are you sure you're not hearing transmission rattle as opposed to clutch rattle? Low speed transmission 'rattle' has been discussed a lot.

WhyOne?
12-07-2010, 06:38 AM
My clutch has a little judder/shudder at low rpm when pulling away - this has been the case since I took ownership of the car at 39k miles (now 51k). Whilst I wouldn't describe this as 'normal' it certainly appears quite common (from other owner comments both here and on Prime) and is nothing particularly to worry about.

However, what you are describing Tom sounds rather more violent, and certainly on a new clutch would have me heading back to the fitters pdq!

havoc
12-07-2010, 07:28 AM
My clutch has a little judder/shudder at low rpm when pulling away - this has been the case since I took ownership of the car at 39k miles (now 51k). Whilst I wouldn't describe this as 'normal' it certainly appears quite common (from other owner comments both here and on Prime) and is nothing particularly to worry about.

However, what you are describing Tom sounds rather more violent, and certainly on a new clutch would have me heading back to the fitters pdq!Agreed.

I frequently get a pulling-away squeal/slight judder (which combined with a high biting point has me occasionally worried about how much life is left in the clutch). But it's not excessive or violent in any way...

cas
12-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Hi

Is it an OEM clutch? Mine has a competition clutch and was virtualy undriveable when I got it - in fact so bad that the owner sold the car - he made the mistake of asking for a stronger clutch! I have manged to get the judder under control by making sure nothing is loose: make sure front spare wheel is firmly screwed in place, make sure exhaust system hasn't lost lots of nuts etc... All these things caused the vibration to be amplified.

claudio

Nick Graves
12-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Most transverse end-on gearbox cars do suffer some judder (I remember VAGs were terrible) when pulling away (the crank is in the same plane as the axle and the engine torque-reacts) but the NSX isn't bad. It's not good either, probably because of the out-of balance firing phases which make a 90º V6 rough at idle.

If it's popping as well, that might suggest a bearing or spline problem on the thrust bearing. Having said that, if it's a twin-plate clutch, I'm not really familiar with their quirks.

Tom_
12-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks, guys. Have just penned an exploratory email back to the garage - we'll see what they suggest. :)

Anyone in the vague vicinity of Heathrow?

Hagasan
12-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks, guys. Have just penned an exploratory email back to the garage - we'll see what they suggest. :)

Hi Tom,

I'm between Rickmansworth & Watford. I can't give you an exact time at the moment that I might be around but if you were able to drive up towards say the M25 jct 17 area maybe we could have a comparison. Possibly Weds or Thursday....

Gary

Tom_
12-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Hi Tom,

I'm between Rickmansworth & Watford. I can't give you an exact time at the moment that I might be around but if you were able to drive up towards say the M25 jct 17 area maybe we could have a comparison. Possibly Weds or Thursday....

Gary
Thanks - that's great :)

YHPM...

markc
13-07-2010, 08:36 AM

Tom, I live nr the M3 J3 (Bagshot) and work just off M25 J13 (Egham) if that helps you?

My car is a 3.2 with the dual mass flywheel & single plate clutch (all OEM) and is as smooth as the proverbial baby's bum :) You're welcome to compare feel etc.

Cheers

Mark