PDA

View Full Version : Buying a NSX R

rocco1
06-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Hi guys,well after nearly waiting two weeks for news of the NSX R, i finally got word.The car has covered 33,000 miles not 300klms,and is in okay condition,and the price is £123k, ive also been told its been driven hard ie track days,so i guess £123k is far too rich for me,so back to the drawing board!

Sudesh
06-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Thats a big difference! 300klm, to 33,000klm!!!! lol,

Could see if it was 3,000klm. As they say, if things are too god to be true!

EDIT: 33,000MILES!! Is it the UK car?

Hagasan
06-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Oh nooooooo........Here we go again:laugh: I'm not selling my NSX anymore.....well not at the moment until I think of another car to buy then I might be selling it, well maybe, mmm not sure, possibly.....erm, should I sell my NSX?!?!?! :rolleyes::D;)

nobby
06-07-2010, 10:03 PM
ohh please lets not go through that saga again!!! PLEASE! :laugh:

Marky
06-07-2010, 10:56 PM
why not convert the standard NSX into an R version. You can do most of the changes for around £15,000 so end up costing you around £55k if you assume a good example costs ~£40k. Collect mine on Thursday and I've already ordered a load of goodies frm SoS and ProCar :)

Its rather addictive this NSX-R hobby

Hagasan
07-07-2010, 08:08 AM
why not convert the standard NSX into an R version. You can do most of the changes for around £15,000 so end up costing you around £55k if you assume a good example costs ~£40k. Collect mine on Thursday and I've already ordered a load of goodies frm SoS and ProCar :)

Its rather addictive this NSX-R hobby

You can perhaps mimic it visually to a point but the genuine parts route to a NSX-R replica would cost your car purchase price again at least.....The seats, bonnet, spoiler for starters are big $$$$, ££££, €€€€€€, Yen..... then you have the suspension, brakes etc, etc....

I'd suggest making sure most of the mods you do on your car are bolt in/out/on/off ie reversible so it can easliy be put back to standard spec in the future so the resale value isn't harmed......Of course it's your car and it's up to you.....enjoy.

NSX 2000
07-07-2010, 08:24 AM
You can perhaps mimic it visually to a point but the genuine parts route to a NSX-R replica would cost your car purchase price again at least.....The seats, bonnet, spoiler for starters are big $$$$, ££££, €€€€€€, Yen..... then you have the suspension, brakes etc, etc....

I'd suggest making sure most of the mods you do on your car are bolt in/out/on/off ie reversible so it can easliy be put back to standard spec in the future so the resale value isn't harmed......Of course it's your car and it's up to you.....enjoy.

I agree and would also add; then there are all the bits that only Honda engineers know about, things like, extra welds to strength the car perhaps? lighter cogs in the gearbox maybe? different programe for the ECU and ABS? etc etc, these are things you won't be able to buy.

Dragonlady
07-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Is there really that much of a difference in the handling that a novice driver on UK farm tracks, I mean 'cough' roads would notice. When I say novice I mean that were not BTCC drivers are we.
Some people have commented that the aero top handling is the best setup for the UK as it is that bit more compliant over our poor roads.
I say go out and enjoy the car you have, if you need more power go down the SC route and maybe alter the suspension setup with some nice Bilsteins and Eibach springs.
You have avery nice car there.

Regards Ian

gumball
07-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Is there really that much of a difference in the handling that a novice driver on UK farm tracks, I mean 'cough' roads would notice. When I say novice I mean that were not BTCC drivers are we.

If I was called a BTCC driver I'd be quite insulted. :p

Most prefer the compromise of adjusting a standard NSX, as the NSX-R suspension is a little OTT for UK roads.

AR
07-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Ian my Mugen modified NSX-R was a faster point to point car than my MY99 3.2 but way slower than my MY93 lwt SC one.

So in other words is faster and you will feel like you can push more, but yopu can probably get 9.9 tenths with R bits and better with aftermarket quality bits.

Now the R is a collectors item and unique, hence the price.

Dragonlady
07-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Ian my Mugen modified NSX-R was a faster point to point car than my MY99 3.2 but way slower than my MY93 lwt SC one.

So in other words is faster and you will feel like you can push more, but yopu can probably get 9.9 tenths with R bits and better with aftermarket quality bits.

I agree with what you are saying, it's just that if you buy these cars I'd want to enjoy driving it and don't think my fillings would be up to that torture. As it is a collectors car that usually means a nice air conditioned garage and minimal milage. I don't think the UK roads are any good for such a hard suspension setup, unlike are european neighbours, why can we not have roads like them?

Ian

AR
07-07-2010, 08:21 PM
why can we not have roads like them?

Ian

Too many chavs on the dole!

Sudesh
07-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Its a collectors car and unique yes, but I'm not sure if thats the case in the UK. Yes its unique in that there are what....3?? One facelift and 2 pre-facelift.

Collectors car in the UK....???...... well I'm a bit out on this; as I dont think there are too many that will see paying £££££££££ over and above a stock car.

In Japan they hold there money and are unique enough and obviously more sought after there. But as soon as one hits these shores, I doubt anyone would see past the £100/£150++++ price tag for the facelift car! Lets face it, you can have a F430/Gallardo/Murcielago and many other exotics for that. Ok the NSX-R will be rarer, however badge snobbery will always be the killer for the car.

The early NSX-R is more affordable but again, a good low mileage 1992/93 will still be around £50k+, thats more than what a late facelift UK car will make today.

AR
07-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Its a collectors car and unique yes, but I'm not sure if thats the case in the UK. Yes its unique in that there are what....3?? One facelift and 2 pre-facelift.

Collectors car in the UK....???...... well I'm a bit out on this; as I dont think there are too many that will see paying £££££££££ over and above a stock car.

In Japan they hold there money and are unique enough and obviously more sought after there. But as soon as one hits these shores, I doubt anyone would see past the £100/£150++++ price tag for the facelift car! Lets face it, you can have a F430/Gallardo/Murcielago and many other exotics for that. Ok the NSX-R will be rarer, however badge snobbery will always be the killer for the car.

The early NSX-R is more affordable but again, a good low mileage 1992/93 will still be around £50k+, thats more than what a late facelift UK car will make today.

Sudesh the Rover SD1V8 is a collectors car, yet I don't figure many go running after one! :)

markc
07-07-2010, 08:45 PM
why not convert the standard NSX into an R version.

You can add/change ALL the genuine NSX-R parts but it would NEVER be a genuine R, only a factory serial number will do that, so it depends what you want. As others have said you can build a faster NSX than an NSX-R but that's not the point. An NSX-R may well be too harsh for everyday use but it is still a very usable car and not necessarily a pure "dare not use it" collectors item... same goes for the Type S by the way ;)

I'm afraid your "replica" would never be the real deal and probably worth less than the sum of its parts (standard NSX + R parts) albeit still a great car!

I agree and would also add; then there are all the bits that only Honda engineers know about, things like, extra welds to strength the car perhaps? lighter cogs in the gearbox maybe? different programe for the ECU and ABS? etc etc, these are things you won't be able to buy.

This sort of attention to detail (not necessarily those examples) is what you're paying for, together with the limited production numbers.

Just look at the secondhand price differential between "cooking" Porsche Carrera and an RS derivative for proof.

Cheers

Mark

Sudesh
07-07-2010, 08:48 PM
I would say your car Mark is the more rare than any! I dont believe there is any other TYPE-S other than yours??

You can add/change ALL the genuine NSX-R parts but it would NEVER be a genuine R, only a factory serial number will do that, so it depends what you want. As others have said you can build a faster NSX than an NSX-R but that's not the point. An NSX-R may well be too harsh for everyday use but it is still a very usable car and not necessarily a pure "dare not use it" collectors item... same goes for the Type S by the way ;)

I'm afraid your "replica" would never be the real deal and probably worth less than the sum of its parts (standard NSX + R parts) albeit still a great car!

This sort of attention to detail (not necessarily those examples) is what you're paying for, together with the limited production numbers.

Just look at the secondhand price differential between "cooking" Porsche Carrera and an RS derivative for proof.

Cheers

Mark

rocco1
07-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Oh nooooooo........Here we go again:laugh: I'm not selling my NSX anymore.....well not at the moment until I think of another car to buy then I might be selling it, well maybe, mmm not sure, possibly.....erm, should I sell my NSX?!?!?! :rolleyes::D;)
The car is for sale,if it sells it sells,if not then it will stay in my car collection.£120k + is for too rich for me to pay for a NSX R with 33,000miles and in okayish condition,for that if i wait 12 months i will be sat in a SCUD,or even a 16M and that is the car i crave for.

WhyOne?
08-07-2010, 07:11 AM
The car is for sale,if it sells it sells,if not then it will stay in my car collection.£120k + is for too rich for me to pay for a NSX R with 33,000miles and in okayish condition,for that if

In that case, you should probably update your Pistonheads ad.

jaffaz32
08-07-2010, 01:46 PM
you can get copies of Nsx-r body parts pretty cheaper and usually the design is improved on.

You could do all the gearing, diff, chassis improvement, seats or as close to nsx-r seats.

But one thing you will never get the same is the engine.

The NSX-R engine is completely different to the normal NSX. For a start it was blueprinted as where i don't believe the usual nsx engine was. The cams would be different i would imagine not sure what else.

NoelWatson
08-07-2010, 02:19 PM
The cams would be different i would imagine

I wouldn't

markc
08-07-2010, 02:25 PM
you can get copies of Nsx-r body parts pretty cheaper and usually the design is improved on.

You could do all the gearing, diff, chassis improvement, seats or as close to nsx-r seats.

... and it still won't be an NSX-R.

But one thing you will never get the same is the engine.

The NSX-R engine is completely different to the normal NSX. For a start it was blueprinted as where i don't believe the usual nsx engine was. The cams would be different i would imagine not sure what else.

Mechanically the engine is not very different at all, at least as far as we know. Blueprinted yes, but that won't necessarily add power. Pretty sure that the cams are the same. The ECU is different so that IMHO is most likely where any power gains come from.

Cheers

Mark

jaffaz32
08-07-2010, 02:33 PM
... and it still won't be an NSX-R.

Mechanically the engine is not very different at all, at least as far as we know. Blueprinted yes, but that won't necessarily add power. Pretty sure that the cams are the same. The ECU is different so that IMHO is most likely where any power gains come from.

Cheers

Mark

It wont be a NSX-R either using genuine NSX-R parts as it wouldnt have it on it's V5 documents or have the official Honda Stamp etc. but it can be as close as for minimul cost. There is no point spending XXX on a NSX-R bonnet when you can go to PROCAR specials and get one exactly the same in terms to the usual eye with the added bonus it will be lighter and better.

I stood to be corrected on the engine :D, i would of thought it would of been different. Were our engines hand built? is that only NSX-R?

NSX 2000
08-07-2010, 04:13 PM
I stood to be corrected on the engine :D, i would of thought it would of been different. Were our engines hand built? is that only NSX-R?

I thought that all NSX's were hand built :dunno:

With regards the Type R engine I thought it was built to even smaller tolerances hence the word blue printed :dunno:

Lankstarr
08-07-2010, 06:11 PM
The car is for sale,if it sells it sells,if not then it will stay in my car collection.£120k + is for too rich for me to pay for a NSX R with 33,000miles and in okayish condition,for that if i wait 12 months i will be sat in a SCUD,or even a 16M and that is the car i crave for.

Soooo is the R back on or is your ad on pistonheads not accurate!?

If you're not that keen on your red one which is a nice example I can't see what an NSX-R is going to do for you to make it worth 5k more let alone 80k!

L*

nationofzeros
08-07-2010, 07:46 PM

Ary

Your Mugen - headered NSX-R is still doing the business, and has recently had an epic seeing to from Kaz which has left it fresh and eager to eat up the next 50k miles ! As you say, it can really cover ground when the mood takes you - I for one find it compliant enough for our benighted B roads

All the best

Chris

nakamichi
08-07-2010, 08:09 PM
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=7741
followed by
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=7906
and
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=8057

You have gone from getting your dream car that you were going to keep forever to falling in love with a Porsche to now wanting an NSX-R !!
Why don't you just join a supercar club and just borrow the cars you want for the odd weekend ??
Save you a lot of hassle !!:)

Hagasan
08-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Attention seekers ;)

rocco1
09-07-2010, 04:36 PM
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=7741
followed by
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=7906
and
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=8057

You have gone from getting your dream car that you were going to keep forever to falling in love with a Porsche to now wanting an NSX-R !!
Why don't you just join a supercar club and just borrow the cars you want for the odd weekend ??
Save you a lot of hassle !!:)Owning one and renting one is not the same,well not for me.As for as the Porsche goes,if it was a full foctory set up,and on the logbook it said Porsche turbo cab i would be the owner!
The NSX r has too many miles for the asking price,so the only think for me is now to wait till prices come down on somthing like the Scud,or 16M.

Senninha
09-07-2010, 06:52 PM
..... The ECU is different so that IMHO is most likely where any power gains come from.

Cheers

Mark

One of the guys on Prime went to the expense of securing an NSX-R ECU. it gave him working dash lights, a few ponies (single digit gains) and a different throttle response.

Senninha
16-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Well here you go Rocco, time to put up or shut up ...

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/Search/DRauSearchDetails.aspx?itemid=814204

Already in the UK, classic White/Black with Red trim, 20k miles and yours for £120k

Time to get your cheque book out if you're serious ....

Good Luck and I look forward to seing it out in the open soon!

regards,

Paul

nationofzeros
16-08-2010, 06:58 PM
... or you could buy my bona fide 50k mile NA1 NSX-R for somewhat less than £120k - the choice is yours!

Chris

AR
16-08-2010, 07:13 PM
... or you could buy my bona fide 50k mile NA1 NSX-R for somewhat less than £120k - the choice is yours!

Chris

Chris sadly IMHO not many are willing to pony up when an R becomes available, mine/yours was up for a year before I bought it, then I had it up for a month and the first one to come see it drove it away! :)

TheSebringOne
16-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Isn't that Fusilov's car or old car as recognised the reg number?

Only 157 ever made?

320 BHP?

£120K :eek:

Papalazarou
16-08-2010, 08:06 PM

Chris

Go on then.....how much?

Cheers,

James

havoc
16-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Is that £120k car the one driven (owned?) by Jenson and thrashed by nearly every motoring journo in the UK?

From what I'd read it had a very hard first year or so of it's life...maybe NOT the best example to be purchasing...then again, they're so rare that any repairs would be small-change, I guess.

JQD84983
17-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Is that £120k car the one driven (owned?) by Jenson and thrashed by nearly every motoring journo in the UK?

IIRC Honda brought two over for Journalists and publicity. One was shipped back and the other sold. So I guess everyone and his dog had this one to the red line!

But it does look the business, especially in white, its just an awful lot of money and is it worth 3 standard NA2's?

Nick Graves
17-08-2010, 07:26 PM
LJKS' opinion was that it was a lot worse than one regular NA2!

nationofzeros
17-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Go on then.....how much?

Cheers,

James

I dunno...starts with a 4 ??

Chris

Silver Surfer
17-08-2010, 09:05 PM

Chris

Do I get nectar points?

SS

AR
17-08-2010, 11:34 PM
:rolleyes:

Senninha
18-08-2010, 07:18 AM

Chris

I'll bid the 99 and make it £4.99 .... do I win?? :laugh:

rocco1
21-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Well here you go Rocco, time to put up or shut up ...

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/Search/DRauSearchDetails.aspx?itemid=814204

Already in the UK, classic White/Black with Red trim, 20k miles and yours for £120k

Time to get your cheque book out if you're serious ....

Good Luck and I look forward to seing it out in the open soon!

regards,

PaulHi guys,theres no way i am willing to pay £120k for the NSX R that been put through its paces by journalist.If it had been privately owned fron new and 1 owner and only covered say 5/6k miles dry miles and never seen a track day then it would be worth buying,for that is.On Monday i boghut a very low milage 1992 3.3 Porsche 964t with 23k miles 1 former keeper.This car is like brand new,i actually am 95% certain that i now have the best 964 3.3t in the UK.Saying all that i have no reason to sell my NSX as i really truley love the car (once i have driven her).As AR picked up the thread on PH i can never knock the NSX.

markc
21-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Hi guys,theres no way i am willing to pay £120k for the NSX R that been put through its paces by journalist.If it had been privately owned fron new and 1 owner and only covered say 5/6k miles dry miles and never seen a track day then it would be worth buying,for that is.On Monday i boghut a very low milage 1992 3.3 Porsche 964t with 23k miles 1 former keeper.This car is like brand new,i actually am 95% certain that i now have the best 964 3.3t in the UK.Saying all that i have no reason to sell my NSX as i really truley love the car (once i have driven her).As AR picked up the thread on PH i can never knock the NSX.

Honda UK REALLY looked after their NSX press cars checking them over before and after each press outing, servicing them every 1500 miles or so and replacing consumables (pads/discs/tyres/clutch etc) well before they were even close to wearing out. I have a couple of examples of NSX press car service records that prove this.

IF anyone genuinely wanted an NSX-R this one would not only be a one owner (plus Honda) low mileage, well documented, over maintained example but it also has the provenance of being the press car with numerous photographs taken of it and articles written about it.

In short it would be as good if not better than a private collectors car that had covered 5/6k miles where you had no confirmation how it had been maintained during it's 6-8 year life or how the owner had driven it during those miles.

Cheers

Mark

rocco1
21-08-2010, 08:17 PM
I understand what youre saying,but i would still have a car with 5/6k miles with service record,but thats just me.

Hagasan
21-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I understand what youre saying,but i would still have a car with 5/6k miles with service record,but thats just me.

So what's the point?

If you can't find "that" car what's your alternative?

It's your choice but I think you get wrapped up a bit in having a "pretty" car than a drivers car....May that's just because my old 964 was an RS?!? The 3.6 Turbo or the Turbo S were ok to look at but what's so special about a 3.3 Turbo......

Take it all easy what I say.....I don't get involved in long discussions but just interject for the hell of it at times ;)

Sudesh
21-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Saying all that i have no reason to sell my NSX as i really truley love the car (once i have driven her).

Why have it for sale then?

rocco1
21-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Why have it for sale then?
I did not have the space at that time,now that i have bought a house for my daughter which comes with a garage that holds two cars comfortably,i dont need to sel the NSXl.By the way i do drive my cars but only on dry days.