PDA

View Full Version : Tilt

NSX100
05-07-2010, 10:10 AM
I noticed over the weekend that my car is sitting slightly lower on the right hand rear side - I estimate about 2 cm difference measured between the left and right wheel arches and the tops of the respective tyres. Tyres are identical, minimal wear and at correct pressure and the ground is level. Not much but enough to be noticeable when viewed from the rear. Front sits correctly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

David

markc
05-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Could be a damaged/broken spring but more likely it's panel fit. Remember it's a largely hand built car and they do vary a bit.

Chassis set-up should be measured from data points under the car NOT wheelarch/fender height. The workshop manual (Section 18, Page 6) lists these exactly but they're essentially the inner pivot points of the wishbones front and rear. Check this out first and if it is lower that corner investigate further.

Cheers

Mark

A.S. Motorsport
05-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Could be a damaged/broken spring but more likely it's panel fit. Remember it's a largely hand built car and they do vary a bit.

Chassis set-up should be measured from data points under the car NOT wheelarch/fender height. The workshop manual (Section 18, Page 6) lists these exactly but they're essentially the inner pivot points of the wishbones front and rear. Check this out first and if it is lower that corner investigate further.

Cheers

Mark
Correct,
It if it then still is off set you could have damaged a control arm.

Kaz-kzukNA1
05-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Hi, David.
As Mark mentioned, you need to place your NSX on the flat patch and measure the ground clearance against the centre of camber alignment bolt at the Front and toe-link bolt at the Rear.

However, from my past experience of installing 100’s of OEM suspension kit on any NSX, the FRONT Driver side was always lower than the front passenger side at about 10 – 20mm on average. In extreme case, I saw 25mm lower at the FRONT driver side.
It was similar result when I installed the new Type-S OEM suspension kit on my NSX long time ago.

While I was working very closely with NSX, I spoke with Showa people (the manufacture of OEM damper/spring kit) and they confirmed that it is quite normal to see this difference at the FRONT driver side on NSX.

However, you are saying that you saw the difference at the REAR and the front was fine.
Not sure about the mileage of your NSX but it would be best to check the rideheight following the correct procedure as Mark mentioned and then investigate further if you see strange ground clearnace value.
Please remember that anything on the Front will affect the Rear and vice versa.

Regards,
Kaz

markc
05-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Please remember that anything on the Front will affect the Rear and vice versa.

Ha ha yes, think of a wobbly table. Shorten/lengthen one leg and the "wobble" is introduced across the other plane.

This is how corner weighting works, took me ages to understand it. Raise the front right and the left rear sinks and vice-versa.

It is only possible to corner weight/balance a car if it has adjustable ride height suspension, usually by coilovers with adjustable lower spring retainers (perches).

Cheers

Mark

goldnsx
05-07-2010, 10:12 PM
The RHD NSX has quite a lot of weight on the right side (engine) compared to a LHD where the balance is much better.
I also have a 10 mm difference at the rear on a LHD with the right side being lower. The worst thing is that it was perfect before some suspension swaps. When I went back to the 'balanced' (means equal height) suspension I had the difference. I can't explain it. The worst thing would be if I hit something and the chassis bent or second the suspension bent in some way.

NSX100
06-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the valuable input.

I am in the queue for Kaz's expert handiwork so I may just wait - btw Kaz it has 37,000 miles and drives perfectly. I had not noticed this before and I have just come back from a flawless 1,000 mile, 4 day trip. Perhaps coincidence.