PDA

View Full Version : Switzerland & Nurburgring

nobby
28-06-2010, 04:03 PM
hi folks

planning my hols for this year and thinking of taking in Switzerland for a few days before heading onto Germany for a couple of days (the ring) before heading home circa round end of july/early august.

This will probably be the biggest drive the NSX I have bought (still with Sudesh and his refresh work) has ever done in its life :eek:.

Anyways just wanted to find out anywhere you would recommend in going, and any potential runs with the NSX. I am heading to the Bernese Oberland region of Switzerland; it appears reasonably central and can take in a number of passes within the vacinity, but wondering has any one else any experiences here and in that area?

Also what was the overall impression of Switzerland - fantastic, good, bad, rubbish? from the pics etc i have seen it looks amazing and some of the roads look fab

any info greatly appreciated

regards

Ewan
28-06-2010, 04:46 PM
My wife & I did a road trip in Sept last year, taking in Switzerland en-route to Italy - http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=6884 - the trip was magic :)

There's also markc's trip report on http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/index.php?categoryid=26&p2_articleid=34. There are a few other threads (from Kevin - http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=5455, or sassthathoopie - http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=6111

In truth, I found Switzerland was a bit anaesthetised, and it was very much a "place to drive through on the way to Italy". But maybe that's what I was using it for, therefore it was never going to be as good.

Ewan

goldnsx
28-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Are you heading for Interlaken? That's where we repair our cars. :)

If the weather is sunny the best passes in every aspect are: Susten (from the east side, Wassen), Nufenen (from the west side, Ulrichen), Grimsel, Realp, Furka. Gotthard and Bernadino are nice but a little bit boring (ok, to me) Nufenen is my favorite of all. Don't ask me how I know. A lot of British motoring-loving tourists takes these passes with their fun-cars.
http://www.gaskrank.tv/tv/paesse/nufenenpass-483.htm
Just bring good thread on the tires with you and good brakes. Depending on how fast you drive them some rubber gets lost but you get what you've paid for. ;)

If you really have the balls then head for the Stilfserjoch in the north of Italy right after the Swiss border: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stilfser_Joch 2757m.

Just beware of speeding, it's expensive.
During holidays expect some traffic jam from Wassen to Göschenen to Gotthard. A lot of German travel this way south.

nobby
28-06-2010, 07:04 PM
yes mate

heading to either Interlaken or Brienz as potential bases to stay and use it to commute about and take the train if necessary!

well at least i know where to go if something happens my NSX! LOL!

I will take on board what you have said for sure

thanks

:cool:

Are you heading for Interlaken? That's where we repair our cars. :)

If the weather is sunny the best passes in every aspect are: Susten (from the east side, Wassen), Nufenen (from the west side, Ulrichen), Grimsel, Realp, Furka. Gotthard and Bernadino are nice but a little bit boring (ok, to me) Nufenen is my favorite of all. Don't ask me how I know. A lot of British motoring-loving tourists takes these passes with their fun-cars.
http://www.gaskrank.tv/tv/paesse/nufenenpass-483.htm
Just bring good thread on the tires with you and good brakes. Depending on how fast you drive them some rubber gets lost but you get what you've paid for. ;)

If you really have the balls then head for the Stilfserjoch in the north of Italy right after the Swiss border: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stilfser_Joch 2757m.

Just beware of speeding, it's expensive.
During holidays expect some traffic jam from Wassen to Göschenen to Gotthard. A lot of German travel this way south.

nobby
28-06-2010, 07:14 PM
thank you for the links MUCH appreciated

will have a gander at the links

My wife & I did a road trip in Sept last year, taking in Switzerland en-route to Italy - http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=6884 - the trip was magic :)

There's also markc's trip report on http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/index.php?categoryid=26&p2_articleid=34. There are a few other threads (from Kevin - http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=5455, or sassthathoopie - http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=6111

In truth, I found Switzerland was a bit anaesthetised, and it was very much a "place to drive through on the way to Italy". But maybe that's what I was using it for, therefore it was never going to be as good.

Ewan

JQD84983
29-06-2010, 09:27 PM

I agree entirely. Having spent the last year on the German/French/Swiss border I have found Switzerland a pain in the ass for most things. Different currency, speed cameras everywhere with ridiculous limits jumping around all over the place. Some very scenic bits but Italy is better. They appreciate their cars there.

Cheers

John

markc
30-06-2010, 09:03 AM
I agree entirely. Having spent the last year on the German/French/Swiss border I have found Switzerland a pain in the ass for most things. Different currency, speed cameras everywhere with ridiculous limits jumping around all over the place. Some very scenic bits but Italy is better. They appreciate their cars there.

Without wishing to gang up on the Swiss, it's not a place I love. The towns I've stayed in are nice enough but there something about the place that feels a bit aloof. I've driven through it several times now and the main roads always seem to be very slow and the standard of driving poor, even worse than here despite a lighter traffic density. Once up in the mountains if the passes are clear it's wonderful.

Note, goldnsx refers to the "Stilfser Joch" which we Brits know as the "Stelvio Pass" :)

Have you worked out which way you're going i.e. Nurburgring on the way or way back? For even more motoring delights you could try to take in the The Schlumpf collection in Mulhouse which is home to one of the largest car collections in the world... http://www.collection-schlumpf.com/en/schlumpf/

Cheers

Mark

nobby
30-06-2010, 10:49 AM
You guys know how to put people off! ;)

Good friends of mine went last year and they loved it ... from what i have seen and read it appears nice ... never been so willing to give it a go. been to italy a couple of times now, so something different. if i don't like it i will leave early and head elsewhere! :)

Cheers

John

nobby
30-06-2010, 10:54 AM
cheers mark for the info

i plan to spend a good bit of my time in the alps driving round and going to various passes etc ... i will no doubt make avail of some train journeys i.e. Geneva etc to check out the great transport system. at least i have the car and can be flexible if needs be. as stated good friends went and they really enjoyed it so thats comfort for me. just see what pans out

Heading to Nurburg on the way back mate, as wifey is with me! :) dont want to spend too much time around there when she is with me, not fair on her as she is not a Petrolhead like me. only planning to do a few laps nothing mental/balls out ... its towards the end of my hol and towards end of week so hopefully not too busy

will try to check out the museum for share

keep the advice coming folks

much appreciated :cool:

Without wishing to gang up on the Swiss, it's not a place I love. The towns I've stayed in are nice enough but there something about the place that feels a bit aloof. I've driven through it several times now and the main roads always seem to be very slow and the standard of driving poor, even worse than here despite a lighter traffic density. Once up in the mountains if the passes are clear it's wonderful.

Note, goldnsx refers to the "Stilfser Joch" which we Brits know as the "Stelvio Pass" :)

Have you worked out which way you're going i.e. Nurburgring on the way or way back? For even more motoring delights you could try to take in the The Schlumpf collection in Mulhouse which is home to one of the largest car collections in the world... http://www.collection-schlumpf.com/en/schlumpf/

Cheers

Mark

havoc
30-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Having just returned from SE France, I'd suggest that many of the famous Col's and passes will be rather tight and very twisty for the NSX, and while it'll be good to do one or two, I'd search for some more open sweepers in the mountains too - my favourite roads in France were mainly the more open mountain roads:-
- from Grenoble to Briancon
- there to Savines-le-Lac
- on to Digne-les-Bains
- N85 from Digne down towards Grasse (except for trucks)
- oh, and some of the stuff near Dijon-Prenois was good, too.

before Briancon and from there to Savines was the best, and was part of the Route des Grande Alpes. I know you won't end up here, but just to give you an idea NOT to look for the twistiest possible road on the map.

The Eiffel mountains are also very good for roads, so you'll have fun there too.

nobby
30-06-2010, 06:23 PM
hi mate

thanks for the advice, i have looked at decent routes with good roads and plenty of visibility, i will do the likes of St Bernards pass mainly because of the history etc surrounding it i.e. italian job etc . i dont want to spend all my time seeking out hairpin bends etc

cheers

Having just returned from SE France, I'd suggest that many of the famous Col's and passes will be rather tight and very twisty for the NSX, and while it'll be good to do one or two, I'd search for some more open sweepers in the mountains too - my favourite roads in France were mainly the more open mountain roads:-
- from Grenoble to Briancon
- there to Savines-le-Lac
- on to Digne-les-Bains
- oh, and some of the stuff near Dijon-Prenois was good, too.

before Briancon and from there to Savines was the best, and was part of the Route des Grande Alpes. I know you won't end up here, but just to give you an idea NOT to look for the twistiest possible road on the map.

The Eiffel mountains are also very good for roads, so you'll have fun there too.

markc
30-06-2010, 06:34 PM

a.k.a the Route Napoleon :)

The Route des Grande Alpes from lake Geneva to Monte Carlo, followed by a return leg up the Route Napoleon back to my second home base in Burgundy is planned as my next epic NSX trip :)

Cheers

Mark

Sudesh
30-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Anyone ever organised a NSX Euro trip? Some members getting together and heading off the routes mentioned?

havoc
30-06-2010, 09:14 PM
a.k.a the Route Napoleon :)

The Route des Grande Alpes from lake Geneva to Monte Carlo, followed by a return leg up the Route Napoleon back to my second home base in Burgundy is planned as my next epic NSX trip :)

Cheers

Mark

Lucky b'gger (& nice trip, too...missed the Col du Galibier due to time and a wife who'd probably have got car-sick)! Wherabouts in Bourgogne - we had 2 days in Beaune on the way back...

Nobby - history was why I did the Col de Turini, despite it suiting an Elise or Caterfield a lot better than the NSX, so I fully understand that rationale. Very glad I did it, too...

markc
30-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Wherabouts in Bourgogne - we had 2 days in Beaune on the way back...

Nr Pouilly en Auxois about 30mins form Beaune... and the Dijon Prenois circuit :)

Actually there's a top road (D970) between Pouilly and Beaune, shame I've never been there in the NSX.

We talked about taking in the Swiss NSX club track weekend at Dijon this September (16th-17th) but I can't make the dates. Not sure if anyone else is still planning to go... Paul, Noel?

Cheers

Mark

NSX 2000
30-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Nr Pouilly en Auxois about 30mins form Beaune... and the Dijon Prenois circuit :)

Actually there's a top road (D970) between Pouilly and Beaune, shame I've never been there in the NSX.

We talked about talking in the Swiss NSX club track weekend at Dijon this September (16th-17th) but I can't make the dates. Not sure if anyone else is still planning to go... Paul, Noel?

Cheers

Mark

I know Noel still wants to go but he wants to go in something french :no:

dan the man
01-07-2010, 03:51 AM
Straight to the ring- 30 laps- straight home. Job Done. :P

nobby
01-07-2010, 08:27 AM
i'd be up for this!

perhaps needs a separate thread to guage interest

Anyone ever organised a NSX Euro trip? Some members getting together and heading off the routes mentioned?

NSX 2000
01-07-2010, 09:50 AM

Now your talking Sudesh:D When do you want to go.

Paul

NSX100
01-07-2010, 10:35 AM
I am just back from Bourgogne but had not time to get as far as Dijon and Beaune unfortunately. I thought it worth a comment.

Having owned my NSX for 6 months now and driven it rarely – a few hundred miles in that time – it has taken a long weekend in France driving 1,000 miles in 4 days to finally fully appreciate the car. All the superlatives used to describe the NSX were evident in spades. Whether on gloriously empty, twisty, hilly D roads in the Burgundy countryside or powering back up the autoroute to Calais the experience was breathtaking. It was the combination of sheer driving pleasure with comfort that impressed the most. My old E Type gave me the former but in no way would it ever be described as comfortable..

And the admiration the car received wherever it went. The French are not shy about expressing their approval of a car – flashing lights, waves, cheering and in almost every car park coming up to ask questions and admire it. None knew what it was and all were amazed that it was a Honda – the most common misconception was that it was a Ferrari (which is a bit embarrassing). Of course there would always be some banker tail-gaiting you in his plastic French pedal-car but drop it into 5th and he became the speck in your rear-view mirror that he is in reality.

Downsides – luggage space and interior storage space. But that is a very small price to pay and compared to the three English couples I met in their Lotus 7s on their way to Italy for 2 weeks, I was laughing. And trying to keep the speed down. The flic are ferocious especially in the villages with radars and cameras so keeping below 50kph is essential and not easy.

Now for next trip - the Route Napolean would be perfect but detouring via Briancon, my favourite town in France - on the N94

nobby
01-07-2010, 11:06 AM
hi

great to hear you had a great time with the NSX, this will be the 1st time i reckon in my car's history it will have done something like what i am planning :eek:. its great to hear she is a great GT car. Really great to hear about the positive reactions from people albeit the Ferrari comparisons :no:

yes planning the luggage is something my wife has issues with, but of late we have done some touring on the motorbike, so guessing it should have a bit more space compared to panniers! here is hoping! ...

speed cameras are interesting, will have to be very mindful of that especially in the NSX!

get a few pics up mate

I am just back from Bourgogne but had not time to get as far as Dijon and Beaune unfortunately. I thought it worth a comment.

Having owned my NSX for 6 months now and driven it rarely – a few hundred miles in that time – it has taken a long weekend in France driving 1,000 miles in 4 days to finally fully appreciate the car. All the superlatives used to describe the NSX were evident in spades. Whether on gloriously empty, twisty, hilly D roads in the Burgundy countryside or powering back up the autoroute to Calais the experience was breathtaking. It was the combination of sheer driving pleasure with comfort that impressed the most. My old E Type gave me the former but in no way would it ever be described as comfortable..

And the admiration the car received wherever it went. The French are not shy about expressing their approval of a car – flashing lights, waves, cheering and in almost every car park coming up to ask questions and admire it. None knew what it was and all were amazed that it was a Honda – the most common misconception was that it was a Ferrari (which is a bit embarrassing). Of course there would always be some banker tail-gaiting you in his plastic French pedal-car but drop it into 5th and he became the speck in your rear-view mirror that he is in reality.

Downsides – luggage space and interior storage space. But that is a very small price to pay and compared to the three English couples I met in their Lotus 7s on their way to Italy for 2 weeks, I was laughing. And trying to keep the speed down. The flic are ferocious especially in the villages with radars and cameras so keeping below 50kph is essential and not easy.

Now for next trip - the Route Napolean would be perfect but detouring via Briancon, my favourite town in France - on the N94

JQD84983
01-07-2010, 08:54 PM
hi
yes planning the luggage is something my wife has issues with, but of late we have done some touring on the motorbike, so guessing it should have a bit more space compared to panniers! here is hoping! ...

Well I just packed for Classic Le Mans at the weekend and managed to get in a 4 man tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 folding chairs, umbrella, two bed rolls, spare bulb kit, rain jacket and clothes for two people with room to spare.

Very impressed with the capacity for a sports car.

havoc
01-07-2010, 09:14 PM

Downsides – luggage space and interior storage space. ... And trying to keep the speed down. The flic are ferocious especially in the villages with radars and cameras so keeping below 50kph is essential and not easy.

Echo all of that, although the admiration for Nessie* was 'sporadic' (got a Mexican wave from some teenage schoolgirls in Digne-les-Bains, and a really enthusiastic Dutch 911 owner was waxing lyrical at the first hotel, yet also got a lot of blank looks which were somewhere between "what on earth?" and "rich bastard").

We were lucky and didn't see that many police on traffic duties - did see one just before/after we picked up the A26 (it was north of Reims) on the way back though - bottom of a steep Autoroute hill, parked-up, laser pointing back up the hill to pick up those careless enough to let the speed rise...very glad for cruise-control!

PS - the front boot got rather hot, so perhaps not a good long-term idea.

* Becs nicknamed the Integra Tessie, so...

nobby
02-07-2010, 02:26 PM
hi foks

once i arrive in Calais from the channel tunnel do you have a great route in mind that would bring me into Switzerland, and be an interesting drive through the french countryside and also be a good place to stay and stop over in for something to eat and sleep?

thanks

andrew

markc
02-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Well I just packed for Classic Le Mans at the weekend and managed to get in a 4 man tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 folding chairs, umbrella, two bed rolls, spare bulb kit, rain jacket and clothes for two people with room to spare.

Very impressed with the capacity for a sports car.

Lightweight zip-up Suit/Dress covers with a cunning strap between the hangers and headrest, so that the coat hanger hook doesn't damage your leather seat, provides extra storage behind the seats for clothes that you rather not stuff into the small suitcases required to fit in the boot.

If you're traveling with a lady companion on your Euro jaunt or like to look smart'ish once in a while, this will also keep her dresses and your shirts and smoking jacket wrinkle free :) It also makes it easier to carry several items (in one cover) at a time between your carriage and each lodging establishment.

Cheers

Mark

NSX 2000
02-07-2010, 09:08 PM
hi foks

once i arrive in Calais from the channel tunnel do you have a great route in mind that would bring me into Switzerland, and be an interesting drive through the french countryside and also be a good place to stay and stop over in for something to eat and sleep?

thanks

andrew

IMO that part of northern France is pretty bad, so when we did it we headed towards Lille then cross the border into Belgium then back into france for bit then into Germany and just follow the french german border but on the german side and IIRC this should bring you into Switzerland at Basel.

Or it's take the Paeage to Reims spend a night there then head towards Switzerland.

Paul

havoc
02-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Peage to Reims then cross-country isn't a bad idea - some decent roads between there and Dijon for starters, plus some nice restaurants in the area south of Reims.

Depending on which part of Switzerland you want to get to, the run East from Grenoble (e.g. towards Briancon) is rather good if you avoid/pass the trucks, and you can turn north at a couple of points there towards Geneva. It's a very scenic route, admittedly, but scenic for all the RIGHT reasons - roads, scenery, the whole 'making a real trip of it'.

Depends how much time you've got - I'd suggest it'll be 2 days to get from UK to ~Lyon (how much cross-country depends on where in the UK you start from - we got a 7.50am tunnel crossing, took our time after Reims, took the scenic route and were at Lyon by 6.30pm, although I'd suggest thoroughly avoiding Dijon or Lyon centres anywhere near rush-hour!) and then day-2 from Lyon - Switzerland (from a 7.15am start we hit Briancon about 12-ish).