PDA

View Full Version : Should I replace my water pump?

richmills
15-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Hi

I've got my 2003 NSX booked in for its timing belt service in July (I'll also have the crank pully replaced as a precaution while it's in).

I was wondering whether to get the water pump changed as well or just leave it as an item for inspection as listed on the service schedule? Norton Way have quoted £721.10 to replace the pump so it's not a trivial decision :(

What do people think?

Cheers, Rich.

WhyOne?
15-06-2010, 09:39 AM
First and foremost, order the water pump from the US.

Secondly, if they are changing the timing belt, my understanding is that changing the water pump adds very little to the job time (read ££££'s!)

Edit: I think the water pump is ~$200 from the US (+ shipping etc) vs. ~£390 Honda UK. Honda quoted fitting for the water pump, during a cambelt service, is 0.75hr. So I would estimate total cost going this route to be less than £250.

nobby
15-06-2010, 09:57 AM
i believe when they are in that far, they might as well replace the water pump. they should not stick the arm too much in for this as they are already well into the engine re the belts so its more of a take original out and replace with new one

When i purchased my car, sudesh and i were specific that the pump was to be replaced as it was not much more effort to do. the garage was a bit picky however ... in the end when the pump was taken out it was evident that the pump needed to be replaced ... but this is a 94 car not an 03

but as stated when in that far you might as well do it

check gcon45's post re timing belt service, there are other bits n bobs to consider when in at the belts

regards

First and foremost, order the water pump from the US.

Secondly, if they are changing the timing belt, my understanding is that changing the water pump adds very little to the job time (read ££££'s!)

Edit: I think the water pump is ~$200 from the US (+ shipping etc) vs. ~£390 Honda UK. Honda quoted fitting for the water pump, during a cambelt service, is 0.75hr. So I would estimate total cost going this route to be less than £250.

Sudesh
15-06-2010, 10:13 AM
If this is the first timing belt change then its 7years now, so peronally I would change it for all thats involved when they are already doing the belts. Please also make sure if ordering from the US that the seal and the timing belt adjuster spring/bolt is included.

When you buy this from the UK it come as a kit, might be the same case for the US but I havent checked.

Water Pump: 19200-PR7-305 £353.11 plus VAT

AR
15-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Just do it I would, saves headaches.

richmills
15-06-2010, 10:44 AM
If this is the first timing belt change then its 7years now, so peronally I would change it for all thats involved when they are already doing the belts. Please also make sure if ordering from the US that the seal and the timing belt adjuster spring/bolt is included.

When you buy this from the UK it come as a kit, might be the same case for the US but I havent checked.

Water Pump: 19200-PR7-305 £353.11 plus VAT

What about this from VTEC direct:

Product code: 19200-PR7-A01

http://www.vtecdirect.com/online/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?seo=item--Honda-OEM-Water-Pump-Assy--19200-PR7-A01

Is that the correct item? It comes from Japan apparently.

Cheers, Rich.

Sudesh
15-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Hi,

Yes same item, part number has been superseeded to the one above

What about this from VTEC direct:

Product code: 19200-PR7-A01

http://www.vtecdirect.com/online/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?seo=item--Honda-OEM-Water-Pump-Assy--19200-PR7-A01

Is that the correct item? It comes from Japan apparently.

Cheers, Rich.

TheQuietOne
15-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi,

Yes replace it!!

This is a link to my 72,000 mile service bill on my old NA2. I provided the service pack from Dali and the Water Pump which cost an extra 0.75 on the labour. This bill was the total cost plus the service kit, i.e belts and wp I supplied.

The 10% at the bottom was what I agreed I would have deducted for being a club member with Brian. I hope this helps in your negotiations and costings :-)

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=3428&d=1201255145

Cheers,

Matt.

richmills
15-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks everyone, looks like I'm going to get the crank pulley and water pump from VTEC direct (total cost £391, as opposed to the £1200 quoted by Honda :eek:) and just have Norton way do the fitting.

Hopefully I can swing the 10% members discount as well :)

Cheers, Rich.

nobby
15-06-2010, 04:58 PM
lots of crank pulley's being ordered up of Andy @ vtec direct

he'll be puttin his prices up after all this on this item! ;)

Thanks everyone, looks like I'm going to get the crank pulley and water pump from VTEC direct (total cost £391, as opposed to the £1200 quoted by Honda :eek:) and just have Norton way do the fitting.

Hopefully I can swing the 10% members discount as well :)

Cheers, Rich.

eclipse1501
15-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Just do it I would, saves headaches.

..........+1

gcon45
15-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Hi mate. My 02 is up for it's big service next month.

Have a look at what I went for in terms of parts in this thread:

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=7471&page=3