PDA

View Full Version : Main relay question

rocco1
14-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Hi guys,as you are aware i am having problems with starting my car.I have located the main relay and about to order a new main relay,but before i do this, the relay thats already not working(we assume) is still making a clicking noise,but no hiss.Shall i order a new relay anyway or is there anyone kind enough in the Manchester area with a NA2 relay that they use as a spare for an emergency that i can try,before i order,thanks.

WhyOne?
14-06-2010, 05:39 PM
The other thing you could try is to open up your relay, and just re-solder each of the joints on the circuit board.

I am sure there is a proper way to do this cleaning the old joints, using new solder etc. etc, but all I did was touch each joint with the soldering iron, wait for the old solder to melt & move in to the next one.

This technique got my 100% not functioning Main Relay working perfectly for the week it took for a new one to arrive.

rocco1
14-06-2010, 05:55 PM
The other thing you could try is to open up your relay, and just re-solder each of the joints on the circuit board.

I am sure there is a proper way to do this cleaning the old joints, using new solder etc. etc, but all I did was touch each joint with the soldering iron, wait for the old solder to melt & move in to the next one.

This technique got my 100% not functioning Main Relay working perfectly for the week it took for a new one to arrive.
Did youre relay make a clicking noise when it broke down?

WhyOne?
14-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Did youre relay make a clicking noise when it broke down?

No, I cant say that it was.

I just noticed the lack of noise from the fuel pump priming.

rocco1
14-06-2010, 10:14 PM

Thanks for that,will have go tomorrow.

rsevo6
15-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Just wondering: as you are writing about testing with a Na2 relay, isn't the main relay the same for all years NSX??

NSXGB
15-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Just wondering: as you are writing about testing with a Na2 relay, isn't the main relay the same for all years NSX??

There are two types. I believe the dbw models have a different relay.

WhyOne?
15-06-2010, 08:49 PM
There are two types. I believe the dbw models have a different relay.

This is basically correct-ish! :)

There are 2 different parts for DBW / non-DBW cars, but the main relay 'box' is the same, it is the mounting bracket which differs.

rocco1
15-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Will have a new main relay on Thursday,i hope!

rsevo6
17-06-2010, 06:23 AM
This is basically correct-ish! :)

There are 2 different parts for DBW / non-DBW cars, but the main relay 'box' is the same, it is the mounting bracket which differs.

What is DBW-non-DBW??
I tried looking up the part number and as far as I could find, the main relay numbers on a '91 Na1 and a '98 Na2 car are the same.

Just got me a new main relay as a spare, as they seen to fail on quite a lot of cars lately and this one was offered brand new with a bit of discount :rolleyes: Always handy to have one laying around as exchange item in case of a malfunction search ;)

WhyOne?
17-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Drive by wire and non-drive by wire.

As noted above, I believe the main relay unit is the same for both variants, however the mounting bracket attached to it isn't. Hence there are different Honda parts numbers (I think).