PDA

View Full Version : Top end power

NoelWatson
29-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Popped down to Surrey Rolling Road as my friend was putting his Coxster on the runners. Put my car on and power was tailing off rapidly after 7250rpm - completely different to previous runs where it remains pretty flat all the way to the limiter. I'm not worried as I have a few ideas of what it might be, but would be interested to hear what others think. Is it

a). Dirty air filter - have Detlef special on and it hasn't been changed since it was fitted
b). ECU is curtailing things due to ECU light being on - even though warning is to do with efficiency of cats
c). Hi flow Cats don't get on with car
d). Something else

I have the shrouding plugs for the O2 sensor and will order a new air filter - will see what the outcome is.

NSX 2000
29-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Popped down to Surrey Rolling Road as my friend was putting his Coxster on the runners. Put my car on and power was tailing off rapidly after 7250rpm - completely different to previous runs where it remains pretty flat all the way to the limiter. I'm not worried as I have a few ideas of what it might be, but would be interested to hear what others think. Is it

a). Dirty air filter - have Detlef special on and it hasn't been changed since it was fitted
b). ECU is curtailing things due to ECU light being on - even though warning is to do with efficiency of cats
c). Hi flow Cats don't get on with car
d). Something else

I have the shrouding plugs for the O2 sensor and will order a new air filter - will see what the outcome is.

My gut feeling and worry is that it's c :(

Or did we damage the O2 sensors during the change over?

NoelWatson
29-05-2010, 06:40 PM
My gut feeling and worry is that it's c :(

Or did we damage the O2 sensors during the change over?

I think O2 sensors are fine - you can see the voltage fluctuating. But as for the cats - that could be a problem if they aren't putting enough flow through at high revs.

NSX 2000
29-05-2010, 06:51 PM
I think O2 sensors are fine - you can see the voltage fluctuating. But as for the cats - that could be a problem if they aren't putting enough flow through at high revs.

I think they (the cats) can cope with the flow of exhaust gases, but it wouldn't surprise me if due to the ECU light being on that the engine management is limiting the engine.