PDA

View Full Version : NXs NSX

Nick Graves
28-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Hello,

It's had a bit of a steam and a scrub and a few zits attended to, so I thought a few crappy phone pics would utterly fail to do it justice:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/DSC00067.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/DSC00069.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/DSC00071.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/DSC00074.jpg

I made some bolts for the FRED on the throttle body, painted the wipers and did a few such tiny TLC thingies.

It really attracts attention and many neighbours have asked about it. I was also given a discount on the MTF because I turned up in an NSX. Which is quite cool.

So I've not done much work this week, been late for dinner most nights and having a whale of a time.

Might even try driving it.

Nick Graves
28-05-2010, 08:02 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/DSC00072.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/DSC00073.jpg

nakamichi
28-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Nice!:thumbsup:

TheSebringOne
28-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Looks fab, great & very shiny! All the hard polishing was worth it. :)

Sudesh
28-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Looks great! Love the 02+ seats and door cards, if it was mine the fogs would be the next to go.

Noticed you dont have the rear cross bar? Can anyone confirm when this was deleted by Honda?

I'm thinking it was from 3.2 engine on but was standard on NSX-R to production end, even noticed the Type-S didnt have it.

TheSebringOne
28-05-2010, 11:07 PM
I didn't think the 3.2 has a rear cross bar at all, may be its just on the Type R? You are talking about a strut brace type bar and not the bar/frame for Targas?

Sudesh
28-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Sorry my reply may not be that clear

I was saying/thinking that the cross bar or "Strut Brace" was deleted from 3.2 models onwards, except for the NSX-R.

Forgot about the Targa car, guess they retained the rear engine frame?

I didn't think the 3.2 has a rear cross bar at all, may be its just on the Type R? You are talking about a strut brace type bar and not the bar/frame for Targas?

jaytip
29-05-2010, 02:05 AM
Looks great! Love the 02+ seats and door cards,
Unless i'm mistaken i believe those seats and door cards became standard at about 99/2000.

TheQuietOne
29-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Looking absolutely great Nick!

The interior is 100% original chaps, I think the perforated seats were on the 2000 and 2001 pop up cars. It's one of the things I loved about that car.

Have you sorted that thread yet? :D

WhyOne?
29-05-2010, 12:34 PM
I was saying/thinking that the cross bar or "Strut Brace" was deleted from 3.2 models onwards, except for the NSX-R.

Looking good Nick!

It is a nice feeling to get the car home and give it a proper going over isn't it? Always an important part of the 'getting to know you' process for me!

Sudesh - yes, the strut-brace across the back of the engine bay was deleted from the later pop-up coupes - I was discussing this with Simon (NSXCB) a week or so ago.

Also, the interior (perforated leather) as seen in Nicks car, was I believe an NA2 spec. change. Certainly my 2001 car has the same interior as Nick's.

Nick Graves
29-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Looking absolutely great Nick!

The interior is 100% original chaps, I think the perforated seats were on the 2000 and 2001 pop up cars. It's one of the things I loved about that car.

Have you sorted that thread yet? :D

It's not actually clear from that photo, but yes, I can sew and I've stitched that! It'll probably take a few weeks for the escaine to re-adopt the properly 'pinched' shape.

Yes, the car does have an 'interim' interior; the perforated cow & brushed unobtainium instrument panel finish were clearly inspired by the then-new S2000 also built in Tochigi. So was the NFR paint colour, come to that.

I didn't want to go too mad with the rabid orbital sander at the first attempt, so there are still the inevitable swirl marks on the wing crowns; they're merely 'softened'. The trick is not to take off all the paint.

A more manic grind later on will have it even glassier yet!

Nick Graves
29-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Sudesh,

I don't really have an issue with the fog lights; they're as "dated" as the rest of the front and whilst a set of RX-8 style projectors would be more contemporary, it'd be a bit of an anachronism.

Mind you, I do have the JDMs on the Prelude, for the total 'waterfall' effect:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/Picture012.jpg

IIRC, the 3.2 coupes had the 6mm middle sill from the NSX-T and a few other reinforcements so the engine brace was considered superfluous. Except for the -R.

WhyOne?
29-05-2010, 07:34 PM
I don't really have an issue with the fog lights; they're as "dated" as the rest of the front .

My view entirely.

They are 'of the car / time' and as such, should remain!

TheSebringOne
30-05-2010, 12:03 AM
I know some people have removed the front fog lamps, but it was how the car was intended and as I'm keeping the car oem, they are staying on mine.

Thunder
30-05-2010, 01:23 AM
I know some people have removed the front fog lamps, but it was how the car was intended and as I'm keeping the car oem, they are staying on mine.

no, the front fogs lamps were placed for the cars sold in Europe, even thing for the system to clean the headlights, these options were not obligatory on the cars sold in the United States and Japan, the NSX is more beautiful without these useless accessories typically Européan

NSXGB
30-05-2010, 10:53 AM

The car was also intended to be driven too! :)

Nick Graves
31-05-2010, 12:20 PM
When I grew up the Citroën SM was the most impressivist car in the known universe and I'm still of the opinion one can never have too many front lights! The headlamp squirters are the perfect excuse for an HID kit. Oddly, Brian Long states the cars have those already, but I think he must've meant JDM-only.

jaytip
31-05-2010, 07:30 PM
The headlamp squirters are the perfect excuse for an HID kit. Oddly, Brian Long states the cars have those already, but I think he must've meant JDM-only.
I believe thay were available(not sure if standard or not)on 02+ in the states as well,but to be honest,the facelift version doesn't need them.They were among the best lights i have had on any car.

Nick Graves
01-06-2010, 10:46 AM
The facelifts did have HIDs. Again, borrowed from the S2000 and widely acknowledged to be amongst the very best projectors anywhere at any price.

NSX100
01-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Maybe the photos are not clear but this interor looks identical to the one on my 1999 targa. Or I am missing something? As for the fogs, I agree that they are part of the car and I would never get rid of them. Better still I use them as driving lights thus avoiding having to flip up the main beams. Not for the purists perhaps but great for me. I agree - you cannot have too much light.

Rob_Fenn
01-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Looks like a lovely example. I'd get rid of the fogs too!

Papalazarou
01-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Maybe the photos are not clear but this interor looks identical to the one on my 1999 targa. Or I am missing something? As for the fogs, I agree that they are part of the car and I would never get rid of them. Better still I use them as driving lights thus avoiding having to flip up the main beams. Not for the purists perhaps but great for me. I agree - you cannot have too much light.

If your seats are perforated and not ruffled leather then you're not missing anything.
On a different note, did you do a track day at Castle Combe a while back?

Cheers,

James.

havoc
01-06-2010, 04:42 PM
The facelifts did have HIDs. Again, borrowed from the S2000 and widely acknowledged to be amongst the very best projectors anywhere at any price.

:yes:

Do miss my S2000's headlights...made nighttime hoons a pleasure not a risk!

How much is a proper HID conversion for the NA1???

Papalazarou
01-06-2010, 05:40 PM
:yes:

Do miss my S2000's headlights...made nighttime hoons a pleasure not a risk!

How much is a proper HID conversion for the NA1???

About £120 ish from DTA motorsport.

Cheers.

James

Nick Graves
01-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Just make sure you get the 4300K blubs like the S.

Many have 6000K for the 'blue' look (recommended for some reason by most websites - I suspect pose value) and you can't see **** with them. I made that mistake with the Prelude; it's the projector lens that makes proper ones look slightly blue.

Nick Graves
01-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Back to the NSX; a small piece of plastic paint's suddenly fallen off the driver's interior door handle and it's white underneath. Bit annoying.

Anyone know where to buy plastic paint, or shall I mix up some Tamiya Acrylic?

nakamichi
01-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Back to the NSX; a small piece of plastic paint's suddenly fallen off the driver's interior door handle and it's white underneath. Bit annoying.

Anyone know where to buy plastic paint, or shall I mix up some Tamiya Acrylic?
Airfix paint??

Nick Graves
02-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Wash yer mouth out! It's enamel.

NSXGB
02-06-2010, 01:21 PM
A good excuse to buy the super sleek SOS billet ali ones...After all, the plastic ones fail after time anyway....

Nick Graves
02-06-2010, 03:27 PM
It's the surround, not the handle.

My model-building skills are not a wasted talent - now touched in!

The car is black, black, BLACK, BLAAACKKK!!! inside. Doesn't even have the funny pewter paint around the console/armrests. So any shiny bling would look wrong, I think.

Nick Graves
02-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Progress is actually so far, so good. I've been dotting paint like Matisse over the last week.

Still got the DAB kit to try out, calipers to tidy up and the big one; sort the handling out.

Getting an alignment will make it more symmetrical (it turns keener left than right at the mo. - oddly my S2000 tends to go the same way when it gets wonky) and see how it goes. I suspect the stickier 255/40-section rear Kumhos are tending to out-vote the 215/40 fronts and therefore the sidewall flex feels more noticeable than it ought. Still, good opportunity then to assess those Mugen/Bridgestones from the S2000.

NSXGB
02-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Nick, if you want a top job done on your alignment, I would recommend JPS Motorsport in Milton Keynes. I doubt you'll find better on the NSX in this country as he's been trained by the main man.
Probably an hours drive from you but well worth it. About £100 all in too which is reasonable.

Progress is actually so far, so good. I've been dotting paint like Matisse over the last week.

Still got the DAB kit to try out, calipers to tidy up and the big one; sort the handling out.

Getting an alignment will make it more symmetrical (it turns keener left than right at the mo. - oddly my S2000 tends to go the same way when it gets wonky) and see how it goes. I suspect the stickier 255/40-section rear Kumhos are tending to out-vote the 215/40 fronts and therefore the sidewall flex feels more noticeable than it ought. Still, good opportunity then to assess those Mugen/Bridgestones from the S2000.

NSXGB
02-06-2010, 06:35 PM
It's the surround, not the handle.

My model-building skills are not a wasted talent - now touched in!

The car is black, black, BLACK, BLAAACKKK!!! inside. Doesn't even have the funny pewter paint around the console/armrests. So any shiny bling would look wrong, I think.

....you can get black handles by the way (although more shiny than OEM), but didn't realise it was the surround.....so carry on as you were!

Nick Graves
02-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Nick, if you want a top job done on your alignment, I would recommend JPS Motorsport in Milton Keynes. I doubt you'll find better on the NSX in this country as he's been trained by the main man.
Probably an hours drive from you but well worth it. About £100 all in too which is reasonable.

Thanks for that! Is he any good at unseizing Honda camber/castor adjusters? The usual Honda bugbear...

NSXGB
02-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks for that! Is he any good at unseizing Honda camber/castor adjusters? The usual Honda bugbear...

He couldn't shift my front castor adjusters but my car is a lot older than yours and they need a bit of extra attention...He'll see you right though.

I believe Kaz is going to post the unseizing procedure for the compliance pivot\castor adjuster in the health check thread soon for those of us who may need it...

jaytip
02-06-2010, 11:09 PM
The facelifts did not have HID's.They are illegal in this country without headlight washers,and the facelift cars have no headlight washer system fitted.If you have seen them on a facelift car they were aftermarket.

Hagasan
03-06-2010, 12:19 AM
The facelifts did not have HID's.They are illegal in this country without headlight washers,and the facelift cars have no headlight washer system fitted.If you have seen them on a facelift car they were aftermarket.

Do Xenons/HID's not require an auto levelling system as well?

Ewan
03-06-2010, 05:29 AM
Correct. Needs to have auto-levelleing either in the light assembly or in the car's suspension, needs a washing mechanism, and also the whole headlamp unit needs type approval.

See http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=6346&highlight=ewan&page=2 for previous discussion...

That said, I've been through 2 MOTs with HIDs and never been pulled, in this country or abroad, because of them...

markc
03-06-2010, 09:04 AM
I believe thay were available(not sure if standard or not)on 02+ in the states as well,but to be honest,the facelift version doesn't need them.They were among the best lights i have had on any car.

HID's were fitted as standard to 1998MY JDM Targas and the Type S. The JDM regulations didn't require either headlamp washers or hight adjustment so they have niether.

Cheers

Mark

Nick Graves
03-06-2010, 09:06 AM
He couldn't shift my front castor adjusters but my car is a lot older than yours and they need a bit of extra attention...He'll see you right though.

I believe Kaz is going to post the unseizing procedure for the compliance pivot\castor adjuster in the health check thread soon for those of us who may need it...

Damn' thing's so low to the ground! I'm used to sticking an arm & tube of Plus Gas under the S2000 and squirting at its adjusters. Apparently only one is seized & the others crack OK. I'm gonna use the same regular soaking technique on the NSX. I don't think it's ever been aligned, so I'm expecting a few problems.

jaytip
04-06-2010, 08:10 PM
HID's were fitted as standard to 1998MY JDM Targas and the Type S. The JDM regulations didn't require either headlamp washers or hight adjustment so they have niether.

Cheers

Mark
It doesn't make them legal in the UK though.If an MOT station wanted to be arsey he would be within his rights to fail you,just as a cop could book you.Just because they are on the car,it doesn't make it legal in the UK.

TheQuietOne
04-06-2010, 08:40 PM
It doesn't make them legal in the UK though.If an MOT station wanted to be arsey he would be within his rights to fail you,just as a cop could book you.Just because they are on the car,it doesn't make it legal in the UK.

Where did Mark say it did, and how do you know an MOT station is masculine?!

NSX 2000
06-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Still, good opportunity then to assess those Mugen/Bridgestones from the S2000.

Nick, are these the MUGEN's you have?

Nick Graves
07-06-2010, 06:11 PM

Blimey; you're right! The car in my much-thumbed brochure (CARM 0865 issue date 06/02) must be JDM.

Nick Graves
07-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Nick, are these the MUGEN's you have?

Indeed; well, bronze ones:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/Picture007.jpg

Also fit Preludes, too.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/Picture043.jpg

You can see how the extra rim width affects the sidewall in that one.

Nick Graves
07-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Slightly better pics of the beastie:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/2009-09-09001.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/2009-09-09002.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/2009-09-09003.jpg

Nick Graves
07-06-2010, 06:36 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/2009-09-09004.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/2009-09-09005.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/2009-09-09006.jpg

The calipers are now painted cadmium gold. The Smartenna now works and I lashed-up the DAB converter & decoder to prove it works. Need to install it properly now.

TheSebringOne
07-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Nick, nice pictures. Is cadmium gold the official gold colour for the NA2 02+ callipers?

Also I noted you have slotted disc brakes, which ones are these?

Lankstarr
08-06-2010, 06:08 AM
no, the front fogs lamps were placed for the cars sold in Europe, even thing for the system to clean the headlights, these options were not obligatory on the cars sold in the United States and Japan, the NSX is more beautiful without these useless accessories typically Européan

Here here - those nasty headlight washers are one of the worst parts on an NSX and as for the fogs if you see the car with and without side by side nobody can argue they're not ugly as sin. Forget all this "it's how Honda intended" cr@p, you're just too lazy to take them off!

JDM cars have no fogs, no headlight washers and no silly Euro smile... I'll still pick up a JDM rear bumper if I can and that's a lot of work to change a minor asthetic issue!

Car looks great btw Nick!

L*

WhyOne?
08-06-2010, 07:53 AM
.........as for the fogs if you see the car with and without side by side nobody can argue they're not ugly as sin. Forget all this "it's how Honda intended" cr@p, you're just too lazy to take them off!

Forgive me, I must have missed the announcement that you had become the official arbiter of taste for the whole UK NSX community!

Nick Graves
08-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Nick, nice pictures. Is cadmium gold the official gold colour for the NA2 02+ callipers?

Also I noted you have slotted disc brakes, which ones are these?

All our Hondas had cadmium-plated (silvery-gold) calipers when brand new. In the words of the song, they soon fade to grey. The Savage paint is the closest thing I've found to the origenal. Except it came out bronze on the Prelude??

Dixcel disks and Project Mu pads. Might handle a bit odd, but it stops well!

havoc
08-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Dixcel disks and Project Mu pads. Might handle a bit odd, but it stops well!:D

Just slotted, or heat-treated too?

And which spec Mu pads, if you don't mind me asking...and how's the dust/feel/retardation mix?

Sudesh
08-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Here here - those nasty headlight washers are one of the worst parts on an NSX and as for the fogs if you see the car with and without side by side nobody can argue they're not ugly as sin. Forget all this "it's how Honda intended" cr@p, you're just too lazy to take them off!

JDM cars have no fogs, no headlight washers and no silly Euro smile... I'll still pick up a JDM rear bumper if I can and that's a lot of work to change a minor asthetic issue!

Car looks great btw Nick!

L*

JDM cars DID have front fogs as standard on all models except Type-S, NSX-R and face obviously.

TheSebringOne
08-06-2010, 11:06 PM
I have standard Dixcels on front with oem pads, not too much dusting to report. Rears are all oem.

Papalazarou
09-06-2010, 07:33 AM
I had the slotted Dixcells with Project Mu pads on my last car and they were very good. Over the short time I had them I had no fading and no excessive brake dust.
Was trying to get some for my current car, but couldn't source them, so hopefully going for some SOS racing brake BBK today.....if they reply to my email!

Cheers,

James.

Nick Graves
09-06-2010, 09:05 AM
:D

Just slotted, or heat-treated too?

And which spec Mu pads, if you don't mind me asking...and how's the dust/feel/retardation mix?

I believe they're just the standard discs and road-spec pads.

The feel is superb with lightness and good iniotial bite and makes those on the S2000 feel a tad worn. Which the discs are. There's no particular issues at all with the pads; they're fine cold and not too dusty.

I'll know better when the car's tyres & geo. are sorted - there's a slight 'wiggle' under heavy braking which I suspect may be cross-castor at the front. Probably cross-toe at the rear too. But obviously, this only reveals itself under quite 'dynamic' braking conditions...

NSXGB
09-06-2010, 12:22 PM
I had the slotted Dixcells with Project Mu pads on my last car and they were very good. Over the short time I had them I had no fading and no excessive brake dust.
Was trying to get some for my current car, but couldn't source them, so hopefully going for some SOS racing brake BBK today.....if they reply to my email!
Cheers,
James.

James, are you actually going for the 324/330mm or the 298/303mm kit? The smaller discs are out of stock at the moment. I've been trying to get a set of the 298mm fronts for a while now. Can you please let me know if you hear that they are finally in stock?

Papalazarou
09-06-2010, 01:15 PM
James, are you actually going for the 324/330mm or the 298/303mm kit? The smaller discs are out of stock at the moment. I've been trying to get a set of the 298mm fronts for a while now. Can you please let me know if you hear that they are finally in stock?

I originally ordered a set of Dixcells but after two months decided to cancel as there was still no firm date for delivery.
I'm going to call SOS tonight ref the 324/330mm brakes. They said they can usually get them in 2/3 days, so if all goes well, I could have them in a couple of weeks. Looks promising anyway.
I'll let you know what they say about the 298's.

Also, Have you got the Type S suspension set-up on your car? If so, just wondered how it differed from standard.

Cheers,

James.

markc
09-06-2010, 03:23 PM
JCan you please let me know if you hear that they are finally in stock? [/SIZE][/FONT]

You can also get them directly from Racing Brake. http://www.racingbrake.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=nsx&Extensive_Search=Y

Still saving my pennies for these as IMHO they are the most cost effective route to significantly better stopping power for our steeds.

Cheers

Mark

Nick Graves
09-06-2010, 04:00 PM
:D

Good find - even if it's just for the management twuntspeak strapline "Braking Solutions Provider"

Cannot stop chuckling at that!

NSXGB
09-06-2010, 06:53 PM
I originally ordered a set of Dixcells but after two months decided to cancel as there was still no firm date for delivery.
I'm going to call SOS tonight ref the 324/330mm brakes. They said they can usually get them in 2/3 days, so if all goes well, I could have them in a couple of weeks. Looks promising anyway.
I'll let you know what they say about the 298's.

Also, Have you got the Type S suspension set-up on your car? If so, just wondered how it differed from standard.
Cheers,
James.

Thanks James.
Yes, got the Type-S setup. Think we discussed it on another thread somewhere. Just got the 'S' rear roll bar fitted and it completes the setup perfectly IMO.
Discussions here: http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=4189&highlight=suspension
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showth...ght=suspension (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=4862&highlight=suspension)
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showth...pension&page=2 (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=5041&highlight=suspension&page=2)

You can also get them directly from Racing Brake. http://www.racingbrake.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=nsx&Extensive_Search=Y

Still saving my pennies for these as IMHO they are the most cost effective route to significantly better stopping power for our steeds.
Cheers
Mark

The whole of the US was out of stock when I went there a few weeks ago, typical!
I just need the outer rings as I've managed to warp the fronts. :angry:

markc
09-06-2010, 07:57 PM
I just need the outer rings as I've managed to warp the fronts. :angry:

They're not that good then!

Do you have the "oversized" (324mm) versions James is after? What do you think caused the warping?

Cheers

Mark

NSXGB
09-06-2010, 08:37 PM
They're not that good then!

Do you have the "oversized" (324mm) versions James is after? What do you think caused the warping?

Cheers

Mark

I have the 298mmm ones, not the oversized.
Technically I don't think they have actually warped, they have 'hot spots', I get wobble through the steering after spirited driving. There is no wobble under normal driving conditions.
I have no clue why they went bad, my poor driving style probably!
The rears seriously overheated when I first fitted them (long story) and they are fine.

markc
09-06-2010, 08:53 PM
I have the 298mmm ones, not the oversized.
Technically I don't think they have actually warped, they have 'hot spots', I get wobble through the steering after spirited driving. There is no wobble under normal driving conditions.
I have no clue why they went bad, my poor driving style probably!
The rears seriously overheated when I first fitted them (long story) and they are fine.

Oh OK, that's not uncommon. My OEM Honda discs go through a warming up phase where they're HORRIBLY shakey but if you keep going i.e, get them hotter, it calms down. Only on circuit though as I don't drive hard enough on the road to get them that hot. Strange all the same :?

Cheers

Mark

NSXGB
09-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Oh OK, that's not uncommon. My OEM Honda discs go through a warming up phase where they're HORRIBLY shakey but if you keep going i.e, get them hotter, it calms down. Only on circuit though as I don't drive hard enough on the road to get them that hot. Strange all the same :?

Cheers

Mark

Interesting. Mine seem to get even worse if they get hotter??
I fitted OEM pads with mine if that's of any consequence. Will try Red stuff or Project µ next.....and remove splash guards and fit the 993 deflectors that I bought about 3 years ago....

Nick Graves
10-06-2010, 09:10 AM
This all sounds remarkably similar to the 298s on Karen's Civic VTi.

The LHS front warped some years ago. Had them re-skimmed, they both warped. Had replacements a year or so back, LHS front was very juddery warming up when I drove it the other day.

Although it's a car one must drive like one stole it, we've had no issues with the other Hondas.

Actually, not true - I've had judder caused by cementation on the S2000 following a trackday, which I removed with glasspaper! You could always try a 'home skim' if you have traces of cementation :blerrgghh: on your discs.

markc
10-06-2010, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=NSXGB;72882]Interesting. Mine seem to get even worse if they get hotter??/QUOTE]

Is this on track or exclusively road use?

On the road mine can start to grumble and shudder a bit after a big long stop such as from a motorway exit but other than that they don't really complain other than go slightly soft after continued hard use such as on my circuits of the Isle of Man (no speed limits) a year or so ago. I'd argue that you're highly unlikely to ever get them REALLY hot on the public road as your average speed will be relatively low and there is always something in the way (corner/traffic/self preservation) to keep your speed and therefore big braking efforts down. Not that I drive my car on the road in this sort of maximum attack way these days.

On track as they warm up my brakes go through a phase where they REALLY shudder, it's quite dramatic! I'm always careful to warm them up gradually, and of course warm them down again, but it seems unavoidable in my car, you just have to drive through this phase before normal service is resumed. Thereafter the pedal does go a bit longer and less firm but the brakes stay with me for lap after lap with only modest shudder... assuming they're not 10/10th's laps which will kill them.

My current brake set-up is OEM discs (possibly the original ones), Project Mu pads (NS Street), Dali Cooling Deflectors and Castrol 4.1 fluid. Fluid is renewed for every track event.

I plan to upgrade to the Racing Brake oversize (324mm/330mm) discs as soon as I have sufficient spare pennies and can justify it to myself.

Cheers

Mark

NSXGB
10-06-2010, 06:30 PM
plan to upgrade to the Racing Brake oversize (324mm/330mm) discs as soon as I have sufficient spare pennies and can justify it to myself.

Cheers

Mark

Do the oversize discs fit under the 16/17 & 17/17 wheel combo's?

markc
10-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Do the oversize discs fit under the 16/17 & 17/17 wheel combo's?

They recommend that you need 17" front wheels so >02 OEM wheels will be fine.

Cheers

Mark

havoc
10-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Actually, not true - I've had judder caused by cementation on the S2000 following a trackday, which I removed with glasspaper! You could always try a 'home skim' if you have traces of cementation :blerrgghh: on your discs.

I've just had (yet again) some pad material left on the front discs of the 'teg - I love the power of the DS2500's, but they can get quite tiresome. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when/why they decide to crap on the discs, either...

Nick Graves
11-06-2010, 10:18 AM
I've heard similar, which is why I (usually) stick to OEM. Many S2000 users have come to the same conclusion.

There again, it clearly can happen with OEM in extremis.

One thing I would say; the Civic VTi feels severely under-braked. I know the DC2 has Accord uprights & brakes, but the damn' thing's got a stroker engine too. I should imagine it's a bit of an ongoing problem.

Got a big thumbs up in the NSX from a girl in a CW DC2 on the A10 t'other night!

havoc
11-06-2010, 01:04 PM
One thing I would say; the Civic VTi feels severely under-braked. I know the DC2 has Accord uprights & brakes, but the damn' thing's got a stroker engine too. I should imagine it's a bit of an ongoing problem.

The JDM '96 DC2 is under-braked too - 260mm fronts not 282mm. 282mm discs can only JUST fit under the UK-style alloys, so I'd expect the EK (I assume it's an EK) to have 260mm fronts as well.

The UKDM car, as standard, has plenty good-enough brakes for road use (need upgrading for proper track use), I just like being able to stop like I've caught an arrestor-hook! :D