PDA

View Full Version : Very hard goodbye...

TheQuietOne
23-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Dear All,

It was with a very heavy heart I watched my NSX drive away with it's new owner this afternoon. Once I feel a bit better about it I will write about the 4 years, 11 months and 54,000 miles I had her for. I know it has gone to a very good home and I'm sure the new owner will pop along later when he's home and has gotten the smile off his face!

I always knew today would be hard if it ever came, although I never thought it would be so hard letting a big chunk of aluminium leave my life. I'm sure becoming a Dad will fill the void and then some come the end of September!

Cheers,

Matt.

havoc
23-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Sorry to hear that Matt, but you got more use out of her in 5 years than half the people get on here in a lifetime, so I'm sure you've got some great memories.

...and if it's any consolation, from seeing friends with babies/youngsters, you wouldn't have had a huge amount of time to enjoy the NSX post-Sept anyway (to quote my best friend: "your priorities and your outlook change completely")...it's one thing that's crossing my mind as we hope to be in your position in the next year or two...

All the best for September, and maybe post a photo up of your new arrival then???

Martin

Sudesh
23-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi Matt,

So the deed was done:(

Its sad times now, but I think becoming a Dad will ease the pain. Hopefully you'll be back at a later date with another NSX?

Senninha
23-05-2010, 09:02 PM
The NSX may be off to a new caring and knowledgeable keeper but I'm sure you'll be able to keep tabs on it.

All the very best to you and Donna for September my friend!

Regards, Paul

TheSebringOne
24-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Matt, sorry to hear that mate. I'm sure those 54K miles were unforgettable.

I want to wish you & your soon to be extended family all the very best for September & the future.

Keep in touch.

James

Hairy_Potr
24-05-2010, 03:56 AM
It's the person, not the car. ;)

Best wishes, Matt.

:)

24-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Hey mate...for the short time I have known you...and being one of the local midlanders....it will be sad to see you go :(

I wish you all the very best to you and your family...and hopefully see you at the events or maybe the NEC..if your exhibiting!! :)

Take care mate

Andy

simonprelude
24-05-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm sure becoming a Dad will fill the void and then some come the end of September!

It's the best feeling ever :)

Congratulations, there'll always be the chance of another NSX in the future, grasp fatherhood like it's your new NSX as the feeling will be better than chasing a Gallardo down the M40.

So.............. who's going to organise the first Father and baby estate car meet :)

Lankstarr
24-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Tis a sad day in the world of NSX :o(

I'll get you insured on mine in August and you can look after it for me when I'm off on my travels:) It'll be in safer hands than if I left it in my garage!

L*

TheQuietOne
24-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks guys, a day at work has put it in perspective slightly. Not much moping allowed - various comments about it only being a car etc...

An evening of snooker, football and Whisky with a certain tall club member later and a red NSX on the drive once more will keep me smiling. :)

Boomin33
24-05-2010, 01:54 PM
damn dude, didn't hear about this one. I Don't know the why's and what for's.... but a bummer.

Did you shift the Tubi with it? ;)

Nick Graves
24-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Hello guys,

Thought I'd better sign on; after about five years and zero miles, a large aluminium hole in my life has now been filled. This may sound daft, but I'd forgotten how unbelievably good these things are. A few miles has rectified that.

Most importantly, a big thanks to Matt and Donna for looking after us yesterday, and especially big one to Matt for making it possible, looking after the car so well and for being such a thoroughly decent chap throughout the whole thing.

I am aware how painful it can be parting with these things and I think this one's (another) keeper. I remember this excitement from when I when I drove the then-new S2000 back from Brussels and that's not really worn off after a decade. After all the tribulations of trying to buy an NSX in the past, it's even more poignant.

I must now go out & make a ramp for it so I can get it back OUT of the garage. At least it's only slightly scuffed the underside of the spoiler, but that's annoying nonetheless. Another little job for me to put right, which is all part of the fun. Actually, I might just go back into the garage and do some more staring...

simonprelude
24-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Congratulations Nick, the start of a very deserved ownership.
I had my suspicions it would be you.

WhyOne?
24-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Oh, excellent!!!!

Well done Nick!

Like Simon, when I saw Matt had parted with his P&J, I wondered if you had bought it.

:)

TheQuietOne
24-05-2010, 03:37 PM
damn dude, didn't hear about this one. I Don't know the why's and what for's.... but a bummer.

Did you shift the Tubi with it? ;)

The Tubi was re-homed pre-sale and will be on a 54 plate very soon :).

TheQuietOne
24-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Hello guys,

Thought I'd better sign on; after about five years and zero miles, a large aluminium hole in my life has now been filled. This may sound daft, but I'd forgotten how unbelievably good these things are. A few miles has rectified that.

Most importantly, a big thanks to Matt and Donna for looking after us yesterday, and especially big one to Matt for making it possible, looking after the car so well and for being such a thoroughly decent chap throughout the whole thing.

I am aware how painful it can be parting with these things and I think this one's (another) keeper. I remember this excitement from when I when I drove the then-new S2000 back from Brussels and that's not really worn off after a decade. After all the tribulations of trying to buy an NSX in the past, it's even more poignant.

I must now go out & make a ramp for it so I can get it back OUT of the garage. At least it's only slightly scuffed the underside of the spoiler, but that's annoying nonetheless. Another little job for me to put right, which is all part of the fun. Actually, I might just go back into the garage and do some more staring...

Hi Nick,

Selling the car to you was as good as it could have got for me. Reading your post however is pretty hard! It probably goes without saying but should you ever be in the position of letting her go please let me know! I'm sure you are going to have many happy hours doing the little things that needed just a little more TLC than I had time for. I'm sure you'll do the car proud, starting with such a good one gives you the best possible chance of ending up with perfection! I think the fact the car was never officially put up for sale speaks volumes about the way the transaction went through and the quality of the car!

The staring never stops, wait until you park it somewhere...I bet you will look back before you walk too far away from it, I was still doing that after all those years. When they penned the NSX they drew something with such beautiful lines, I think the red really shows those off too with the shadows highlighting certain bits that are lost on the darker colours. I look forward to some pictures once you have worked your detailing magic! :)

Take care and drive safely whilst those front tires are wearing down a little :D.

Cheers,

Matt.

Boomin33
24-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Ahhh.. I was going to say.. hopefully will see you in a NA2 at somepoint, but wasn't sure of the your circumstances.

So here it goes. Look forward to seeing you in a NA2 within a year or so!!? The Tubi sounds awesome on it ;)

markc
24-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Ahhh.. I was going to say.. hopefully will see you in a NA2 at somepoint, but wasn't sure of the your circumstances.

So here it goes. Look forward to seeing you in a NA2 within a year or so!!? The Tubi sounds awesome on it ;)

He already had the best looking NA2 (pop-up), albeit in a inferior colour, why would he ever go backward ;)

You've got a peach there Nick, look after it but know that a thoroughbred needs to be exercised properly to retain it's performance edge... don't be a stranger to the redline :)

Cheers

Mark

havoc
24-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Glad you've finally got one Nick, and sounds like you've got a very good one too!

Also very glad that it's staying "within the family" so-to-speak, and not going abroad like so many others...

simonprelude
24-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Also Nick, try the Mugen GP's for size, you'll be amazed at the transformation in the handling.

TheSebringOne
24-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Nick, congratulations at last on getting a NSX, abeit a lovely one and well known one from a club member. I like it when its kept within the club or family! Many happy years of VTEC heaven!

Nick Graves
24-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Freedom for the Tochigi One! I've been out making ramps and repainting wipers (they weren't actually that bad!) and lubricating seals and stuff...

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I can have hours of occupational therapy without even driving it and I'll try to do Matt proud.

Simon; I'd already thought about that! I think the Kumhos are a little 'floaty' (bit like an NSX-T) at the moment, and you have to dial out the understeer with a little mid-corner lift. If the Mugens transform the turn-in bite as well as they do on the S2000, so much the better! Not that there's anything actually wrong with it at present.

Must sign off and do something else NSX-related...

markc
24-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Also Nick, try the Mugen GP's for size, you'll be amazed at the transformation in the handling.

Simon; I'd already thought about that! I think the Kumhos are a little 'floaty' (bit like an NSX-T) at the moment, and you have to dial out the understeer with a little mid-corner lift. If the Mugens transform the turn-in bite as well as they do on the S2000, so much the better! Not that there's anything actually wrong with it at present.

Must sign off and do something else NSX-related...

Sorry chaps I'm a bit confused, Simon is talking wheels and Nick tyres, right?

Just saying wheels will transform the handling without discussing sizes is misleading at best. Same size but fractionally lighter and using the same tyre will make no disernable difference.

Same goes for tyres but, same size different make, they're far more likely to have noticeable effect on feel and handling.

Let's have all the info please :)

Cheers

Mark

Nick Graves
25-05-2010, 12:03 AM
No, the Mugens are critically 1/2" wider at the front, pulling out the sidewalls and giving a far more rigid feel. To add to the confusion, mine are also wearing Brigestone RE050s, with the notoriously stiff sidewall. There might be a slight deterioration in ride quality, but the turn-in ought to be superb and with more ultimate front-end grip.

17x7.5, +52, 5x114.3, 15.8 lbs each
S2000 (2000-2003) Front Wheel
S2000 (2004-2006) Front Wheel

17x8.5, +59, 5x114.3, 16.5 lbs each
S2000 (2000-2003) Rear Wheel
S2000 (2004-2006) Rear Wheel

1994 - 2001 Front 16" 7" 16.75 lbs.
1994 - 2001 Rear 17" 8.5" 20.85 lbs.

The reduction in unsprung mass ought in effect to 'stiffen' the damping, resulting in even better control.

havoc
25-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Surprised at how heavy the NSX alloys are.

Have you thought about a front ARB? Will improve turn-in at the risk of more on-the-limit understeer...

Nick Graves
25-05-2010, 09:13 AM
No; I'd dial-out some of the castor first. Although that germanesque castor is part of the NSX's appeal. ARBs are after all a bit of a fudge which can ruin the ride.

TBH, I'd leave the car standard, except that Mr. Prelude has got me thinking about those damnably heavy wheels already...

markc
25-05-2010, 09:18 PM
TBH, I'd leave the car standard, except that Mr. Prelude has got me thinking about those damnably heavy wheels already...

I'm not sure where you got those S2000 figures, there are lots of other web sources that all give heavier numbers, but the NSX "Blade" wheels aren't heavy per se.

That being said you can get lighter aftermarket wheels ones which will help (the suspension) a bit, and wider ones which might also help BUT depending on the tyre size/construction/characteristics you could just as easily make it worse.

IMHO you're talking about small amounts here and wouldn't expect the transformation you've seen on the S2000.

You might consider fitting a 350mm steering wheel in place of the 367mm stock item as this will likely effect a similar differance to the steering feel than wider or lighter front wheels.

Cheers

Mark

Nick Graves
26-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Those are Mugen GP specs. They are the same for the S2000 or NSX and only hubcentric rings at the front are required.

The NSX and S2000 facelift OEM also conveniently use the same tyre and wheel size! Even the geometry is surprisingly similar, so the effect of unsprung mass and a wider front rim are the only variables, which is why I do not doubt Simon's claims.

Admittedly the difference with the original S2000 is a lot more marked, since the wheels and tyres were narrower. The JDM BBS wheel option however kept the size but reduced the unsprung mass and made a big difference to the S2000's originally lumpy damping.