PDA

View Full Version : Boot lid spring dampers

Graham
21-05-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm in the process of removing the spring dampers for the boot lid on my 1993 NSX, to send them off for re-gassing. When I undid the nut at the bottom of the damper it got very wobbly and it felt like the nut inside the wing was free. It occurred to me that if I took it out completely, the nut in the wing might drop off and I wouldn't be able to get at it again without some serious dismantling.

Anyone know if the nut is captive? Tack welded maybe?

Kaz-kzukNA1
21-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi, Graham.

It will feel wobbly as soon as you loosen it but it is safe to remove the stud bolt without any worries unless there was un-known damage caused in the past.

Please make sure to get someone to hold the boot lid for you.
Although your gas damper is already weak, if you undo even just one side of the damper, the boot lid will drop down at fairly high speed...

If you don't mind, please let us know the latest price and turn around time for the re-gas of dampers once you have received them back from the company you are using.

Thank you.

Regards,
Kaz

Midnight Blue
21-05-2010, 01:03 PM
I had mine done about a year ago at SGS. The pressure they put in is supposedly OEM but it is really not enough and in the slightest breeze the boot will come down. I moaned to them put they didn't do the decent thing and offer to pump in some extra pressure.

If you go to them ask for 5 to 10 % extra on OEM value.

On the grounds that if you want a job done well, do if yourself, would I be right to assume that the fitting on the rod end unscrews and there is a Schraeder valve inside?

Regards,

Andy

Sudesh
21-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Agree with Kaz!

Would also like to know what the rebuild cost is as, your local Honda dealer price for new dampers are £39.08 including vat each, thats before discount if your are a good customer, which isnt bad.

Dali do them for $97 dollors for the pair plus shipping, so I think you local dealers price will be cheaper, as $97 dollors is around £70GBP depending on exchange rate, and then you have postage.

Hi, Graham.

It will feel wobbly as soon as you loosen it but it is safe to remove the stud bolt without any worries unless there was un-known damage caused in the past.

Please make sure to get someone to hold the boot lid for you.
Although your gas damper is already weak, if you undo even just one side of the damper, the boot lid will drop down at fairly high speed...

If you don't mind, please let us know the latest price and turn around time for the re-gas of dampers once you have received them back from the company you are using.

Thank you.

Regards,
Kaz

Graham
22-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Dampers are now off, (thanks Kaz) and ready to send to SGS.

They quoted £104 per pair new (£100 plus vat each from Honda) and £48 per pair re-gassed. I mentioned a little more gas than standard pressure (thanks Midnight Blue) and they said no extra charge.

I'm getting a pair from SOS for the engine glass hood, as they have the slightly longer stroke. They are $134 per pair delivered to a colleague of mine in Connecticut. He'll bring them over when he visits my work in June.

Thanks for the help

Regards

Graham

Graham
22-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Forgot to add that turn round time is quoted at 3 days

G

Sudesh
22-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Graham the struts new from honda are £33.26 each plus vat, total £39.08

Where did you get quoted £100 plus vat each?

Part number: 74872-SL0-023

If you replace the stud ball at the same time they are £10.89 plus vat, total £12.80 each

Part number: 90102-SL0-003

So still wouldnt be the £100 plus vat each you were quoted?

They quoted £104 per pair new (£100 plus vat each from Honda) and £48 per pair re-gassed. I mentioned a little more gas than standard pressure (thanks Midnight Blue) and they said no extra charge.

Graham
22-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Hi Sudesh,

It was my local Honda dealer (Harold Honda). Proabably for the Enigne hood dampers though. Maybe I'll ring them again on Monday. Thanks for the part numbers.

It won't change much though as I want the SOS ones for the engine hood, and for the boot the re-gas is still cheaper.

Regards

Graham

Chris B N
25-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Just had the boot gas struts regassed by SGS in Derby
around £4 to post them to Derby, £17.50 + VAT for the regas + around
£4 return postage.
Asked about over pressurising, before sending them to SGS the boot lid almost stayed up
SGS said that they were at 350 Newtons and Satandard is 500had them done to 500 and job is a good un as they say

Graham
11-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Well, I got some struts back from SGS, for about £47, but.......they weren't mine. These had yellow paint on them and my car is red. Apparently they were doing two NSXs on the same day but got them muddled up. Doh. Luckily both sets had an extra 10% gas pressure.

I'l just paint them black and live with it. The ball joints are a lot wobblier than my old ones but I guess that's less resistance, so more push !?! They're on the car now and the boot stays up, so I'll settle for that.

Graham