PDA

View Full Version : Range Rover... a nice way to travel.

Boomin33
05-05-2010, 05:05 PM
A friend of mine loaned me his Range Rover for my 10 day journey into and around France. What a car, or should I say truck?

It was a 2009 VogueSE V8TD ( think twin turbo).

For a long distance journey, I doubt you could do much better. IT shifts, as well.

Going to be a bit broke this year, but figure I'll look at getting one next... or should I say the wife will be looking to get one. hopefully not in Pamela Anderson 'White' :)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o136/boomin33/firends/ParisRange-1.jpg

NoelWatson
05-05-2010, 05:28 PM
A friend of mine loaned me his Range Rover for my 10 day journey into and around France. What a car, or should I say truck?

It was a 2009 VogueSE V8TD ( think twin turbo).

For a long distance journey, I doubt you could do much better. IT shifts, as well.

Going to be a bit broke this year, but figure I'll look at getting one next... or should I say the wife will be looking to get one. hopefully not in Pamela Anderson 'White' :)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o136/boomin33/firends/ParisRange-1.jpg

Did it not break down?

Boomin33
05-05-2010, 06:10 PM
not at all. it was golden. Maybe I had the "non" lemon. they must produce 1 of these special editions a year?

Did my bit to tarnish the image of British drivers by doing 120 mph+ pretty much the whole way from Paris to the Tunnel in a bid to catch my train.
all the locals, very courteously got out of my way as I menacingly approached, but don't think they were amused.

** speaking of which, tickets don't catch up with you in the UK do they? We recon we got flashed about 5 times in those 10 days ...

highlandsaf
05-05-2010, 06:19 PM
I had 4.2 supercharged for 14 months 7 of them spent in the garage they even managed to dent door and botch repairs. of all the cars I've owned the Range Rover has been the worst .The only thing that was worse than it's constant breaking down was the idiot of a dealer principle who kept trying to fob me off with botched repairs a feeble excuses .Crap cars arrogant dealers vertical depreciation !!!!!!

NSXGB
05-05-2010, 07:23 PM
** speaking of which, tickets don't catch up with you in the UK do they? We recon we got flashed about 5 times in those 10 days ...

No they don't.

JQD84983
05-05-2010, 08:10 PM
not at all. it was golden. Maybe I had the "non" lemon. they must produce 1 of these special editions a year?

Did my bit to tarnish the image of British drivers by doing 120 mph+ pretty much the whole way from Paris to the Tunnel in a bid to catch my train.
all the locals, very courteously got out of my way as I menacingly approached, but don't think they were amused.

My indiscretion in Germany did. Though it was in a hire car. No points though. Just 15 Euro fine.

TheSebringOne
05-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Neighbour got a top of the range Range Rover (not Sport), its shocking to see how the lower half of all the doors seems wavey rather than smooth/straight! Why pay for this poor quality in a 60-70k car! Image!!

Raj.p
05-05-2010, 08:34 PM
You mean the paint finish has orange peal effect or the panels aint stright? I though they coat the lower half in paint protector stuff, and paint over that, to save it from stone chips and rot

NoelWatson
05-05-2010, 08:37 PM

If you get caught at high enough speed they tend to take car away from you and impound it

Boomin33
05-05-2010, 08:42 PM
well... I'm glad he let me borrow it, just the same. £150 for temp cover insurance and it made the journey very comfy :)

depreciation - true : He buys a new one every other year... and loses £30K on each transaction... says he's going lease route this year. £650 month + vat. (claim it back) = only about £8K/year loss ?? or am I missing something.

Boomin33
05-05-2010, 08:45 PM
If you get caught at high enough speed they tend to take car away from you and impound it

I got caught at 105 mph a couple years ago. interestingly by a suped up Blue Impreza Police-mobile.

All they wanted was Cash. Didn't even care that I couldn't speak a word of French & them not a word of English... just got the ticket out.. showed me the fine, motioned for money - end of transaction.

but 130 might have generated a different response, I imagine.

NSX 2000
05-05-2010, 09:42 PM

It could do Rob.

Like here it's all about luck, the cameras may or may not have film in or be working etc, or they decide not to send out the paper work. But their fines (Fench) are much bigger than ours so if you were just over the limit they might not bother, but if you were well over the limit it might be woth their while giving you the ticket.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

mutley
06-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Funny that this topic appeared, lately I have been pondering what to get to replace my trusty 5 Series BM, and after a scout about, I have decided on a Range Rover Sport, although not until next year when I get back from my sunshine tour of that sandy s**thole.

I'll be looking for the petrol 4.2 or 4.4 Supercharged version. (of course it goes without saying that geting the NSX back on the road is top priority)

Jim

Sudesh
06-05-2010, 01:13 PM
I've drove both range rover sport petrols and diesels, but have to say the BMW X5 4.6is/4/8is is a far better vehicle, hence why I've had 3 of them! The 4.6is/4.8is drives like an M3/M5 suspension setup is fantastic, build guality in my opinion is better and its more reliable.

I even fitted the SMG setup to mine which gives you a paddle shift gear change at the wheel

Heres my old one,

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/BMWX5/LOWDSC00920.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/BMWX5/DSC00922.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/BMWX5/DSC00578.jpg

NSXGB
06-05-2010, 02:26 PM
I must just be lucky. Last two trips, flashed more than 10 times (not my car :)), nothing received.
Getting physically pulled over there is a different story, the French cops are pretty corrupt from what I hear. My buddy got pulled over in his GTR by two cops and not only did they make him pay 110 euros they made him change notes with his mate so they could each pocket 55 euros. . . They split the money in front of them, stuck it in their pockets and let them go.
Heard plenty of stories similar.

It could do Rob.

Like here it's all about luck, the cameras may or may not have film in or be working etc, or they decide not to send out the paper work. But their fines (Fench) are much bigger than ours so if you were just over the limit they might not bother, but if you were well over the limit it might be woth their while giving you the ticket.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

markc
06-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Funny that this topic appeared, lately I have been pondering what to get to replace my trusty 5 Series BM, and after a scout about, I have decided on a Range Rover Sport, although not until next year when I get back from my sunshine tour of that sandy s**thole.

I'll be looking for the petrol 4.2 or 4.4 Supercharged version. (of course it goes without saying that geting the NSX back on the road is top priority)

I've drove both range rover sport petrols and diesels, but have to say the BMW X5 4.6is/4/8is is a far better vehicle, hence why I've had 3 of them! The 4.6is/4.8is drives like an M3/M5 suspension setup is fantastic, build guality in my opinion is better and its more reliable.

I even fitted the SMG setup to mine which gives you a paddle shift gear change at the wheel

Guys, have you actually tried one of the proper large saloon, or if you need the room estate, cars lately. I can't believe you'd consider one of these big soft roaders if comfort was any sort of priority???

A few of my friends and colleagues have RR Sport's or X5's and the ride in them is truly appalling! An empty Transit (van) is better and I'm not joking :(

Sorry Sudesh, the X5 might handle well enough (for a 4x4) but it isn't in the same league as an M5 (E62) for ride quality let alone handling.

Jim, if you're going from a 5 Series saloon to an RR Sport or X5 you'd better get your back and fillings checked first!

Cheers

Mark

Sudesh
06-05-2010, 02:37 PM
E53 X5 wouldnt be compared to E62 M5 to begin with, it would be compared to E39 M5! Which I also owned and prefer the X5

If you want to compare E62 M5 to an X5 then it would be the NEW X5 M! :)

If I was going down the estate route it would be the new RS4 AVANT or RS6

Sorry Sudesh, the X5 might handle well enough (for a 4x4) but it isn't in the same league as an M5 (E62) for ride quality let alone handling.

Jim, if you're going from a 5 Series saloon to an RR Sport or X5 you'd better get your back and fillings checked first!

Cheers

Mark

markc
06-05-2010, 04:40 PM
E53 X5 wouldnt be compared to E62 M5 to begin with, it would be compared to E39 M5! Which I also owned and prefer the X5

REALLY, you preferred an X5 to an E39 M5!!! The E39 M5 is one of my all time favs and an absolutely fabulous car. Pretty comfortable as well, unlike the X5.

I have a vivid memory of following another friends Black 2002 M5 on a French D road across what looked like a field at 140+ err KPH on the way back from Le Mans in 2006. My NSX had it's work cut out to stay with that car.

A couple years ago I owned an E39 540i (4.4Ltr V8) Touring, which cost me a fortune to run, but it had a MUCH better ride than the X5 4.4, the latter was awful.

If you want to compare E62 M5 to an X5 then it would be the NEW X5 M! :)

Indeed... no comparison in my book, M5 every time even with it's silly gearbox.

If I was going down the estate route it would be the new RS4 AVANT or RS6

To be honest I'm not sure why you need all that performance in such big cars as their size and weight precludes them from being properly fast in anything other than a straight line, but having said that a big powerful estate car can make better use of that power than a big powerful soft roader.

Cheers

Mark

m666 edd
06-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Clearly the idea of these big powerful 4x4s is so you can offroad at 100mph+ :D

TheSebringOne
06-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Raj, I mean its not straight, may be its the protection coating over the lacquer?

AR
06-05-2010, 11:06 PM
My buddy got pulled over in his GTR by two cops and not only did they make him pay 110 euros they made him change notes with his mate so they could each pocket 55 euros. . . They split the money in front of them, stuck it in their pockets and let them go.
Heard plenty of stories similar.

Having lived in a few third world countries that suits me fine, some times is just a phone call to a buddy and you are off the hook. Try that in the US and the taser comes out LOL!

mutley
07-05-2010, 08:23 AM
As much as I love the 5 Series (E39) this is my second one and I fancied something different. Why mot X5? well because I am currently stationed at RAF Lossiemouth WAYYYYY up north, and I struggled to get anywhere last winter, so I would rather have a "real" off-roader (RR) rather than a pretend one (X5)
Also I'm looking at getting another big dog!

I would love an M5, but I just fancy a change

Jim

markc
07-05-2010, 11:04 AM
As much as I love the 5 Series (E39) this is my second one and I fancied something different. Why mot X5? well because I am currently stationed at RAF Lossiemouth WAYYYYY up north, and I struggled to get anywhere last winter, so I would rather have a "real" off-roader (RR) rather than a pretend one (X5)
Also I'm looking at getting another big dog!

I would love an M5, but I just fancy a change

Jim

Fair point Jim :)

You'll need to make sure the RR Sport is fitted with winter or cold weather tyres though or it'll be just as useless in the snow and ice as an M5, or any car fitted with summer tyres, would be.

Most of these soft roaders run on summer tyres which are hopeless in snow and ice. 4wd helps very little in these conditions without the correct rubber.

Check out this article for the effectiveness of winter/cold weather tyres and how 4wd doesn't really help... http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/248524/winter_tyres_tested.html

Cheers

Mark

mutley
07-05-2010, 01:18 PM
yeah I know exactly what you mean, even out military landrovers get winterised tyres for harsh conditions, and another reason, I just like the look of it compared to other off roaders.

Jim

jaytip
07-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Fair point Jim :)

You'll need to make sure the RR Sport is fitted with winter or cold weather tyres though or it'll be just as useless in the snow and ice as an M5, or any car fitted with summer tyres, would be.

Most of these soft roaders run on summer tyres which are hopeless in snow and ice. 4wd helps very little in these conditions without the correct rubber.

Check out this article for the effectiveness of winter/cold weather tyres and how 4wd doesn't really help... http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/248524/winter_tyres_tested.html

Cheers

Mark
That's when low range comes in.

dan the man
08-05-2010, 06:15 AM
After being here in Whistler for 5 months i hankering for something mosnterous... like this. Yank brutality but so good for sled and dog carrying capability :)

http://image.4wheeloffroad.com/f/9612877/131_0703_03_z+2008_ford_f450_super_duty+front_pass enger_side_view.jpg

Boomin33
08-05-2010, 06:27 AM
hell yeah... get a gun rack, a cowboy hat and a real hot girlfriend in cowboy boots.

You'll fit right in and they'll never guess you for a euro-zone gay boy who wears italian style very-pointed-toe shoes :)

--more importantly you can tow your sled around & take your dog with you!!

simonprelude
08-05-2010, 10:30 AM
http://www.globalautolease.com/uploads/images/specials/rover.jpg

Yes please ;)

JQD84983
08-05-2010, 03:11 PM
http://www.globalautolease.com/uploads/images/specials/rover.jpg

Yes please ;)

Its a Discovery in drag

TheSebringOne
08-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Dan, do you need a six wheeler and those doors mirrors could knock over a moose pal! :D

dan the man
09-05-2010, 09:24 PM
hell yeah... get a gun rack, a cowboy hat and a real hot girlfriend in cowboy boots.

You'll fit right in and they'll never guess you for a euro-zone gay boy who wears italian style very-pointed-toe shoes :)

--more importantly you can tow your sled around & take your dog with you!!

Hang on this aint texas...its BC! No cowboy hat or guns in sight. Hot girls about tho for sure....

and James the pic is pretty extreme. Wont be going that large but whatever i get ill be jacking up! whereas i used to go low now i wana go high as possible!

Sudesh
09-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Best to give up and go hardcore

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/10916512/Argo_Conquest_1998_8_Wheel_Amphibious_ATV_39_9_Hrs .jpg

TheSebringOne
09-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Wheres the remote control Sudesh! :laugh:

markc
09-05-2010, 11:28 PM
That's when low range comes in.

It doesn't matter what range (gearing) you use if the tyres can't grip the surface.

Think of the problem in reverse i.e. braking, 4wd never helps with that it's all down to the grip the tyre has on the road surface and if that surface is cold or snowy you need Winter tyres.

Cheers

Mark

jaytip
10-05-2010, 11:42 PM
It doesn't matter what range (gearing) you use if the tyres can't grip the surface.

Cheers

Mark
...And oh so often it's people's lack of abilty to drive in the snow.I will give you an example.Many years ago i used to have an E30 325 and i just could not get it up an incline toward my fathers house in the snow,so ended up parking it at the side of the road and walking to his house.I told him i couldn't get the car up the hill,and he asked me for the keys.He did it first attempt.All to often people use too many revs and just start to spin the tyres,low range prevents that,so on a normal road(snow and ice) yes it does make a difference.
Another example.I owned an Audi Quattro Coupe and i got everywhere in the snow in it.In fact i used to feel quite smug (wrong i know :) ) driving past cars that were slipping and sliding at the side of the road.I'm not sure about new Audi's but the old Quattros had diff locks on them.

markc
11-05-2010, 03:33 AM
...And oh so often it's people's lack of abilty to drive in the snow.I will give you an example.Many years ago i used to have an E30 325 and i just could not get it up an incline toward my fathers house in the snow,so ended up parking it at the side of the road and walking to his house.I told him i couldn't get the car up the hill,and he asked me for the keys.He did it first attempt.All to often people use too many revs and just start to spin the tyres,low range prevents that,so on a normal road(snow and ice) yes it does make a difference.
Another example.I owned an Audi Quattro Coupe and i got everywhere in the snow in it.In fact i used to feel quite smug (wrong i know :) ) driving past cars that were slipping and sliding at the side of the road.I'm not sure about new Audi's but the old Quattros had diff locks on them.

Granted bringing on the torque reeeeeeeeaaaaallly gradually, by way of super short gearing and therefore extremely slow acceleration, will help to avoid the tyres breaking traction but ultimately said traction is derived from the tyre/s ability to grip the surface they're trying drive up.
So given the exact same tyres, 4wd will give you twice as much traction, for acceleration but not braking, as 2wd but, and it's a HUGE but, if the tyres are wrong for the conditions this will be much, much less than less than a 2wd vehicle on the correct tyres will provide. No amount of fancy "hill decent" or diff locks will overcome this fundamental shortcoming.

Between August 1997 and April 2000 I owned and ran a Subaru Imprezza Turbo 2000 with the Prodrive engine and 17" Superturismos shod with Goodyear Eagle F1 rubber (215x45x17). I loved that car and somehow the 4wd system gave you (me) a sense of safety and security in normal and even wet road conditions but, as I discovered on more than one occasion, it was useless in the snow and really cold conditions.

Yes driving technique can help but it cannot overcome the finite limitations of the grip between tyre and surface.

Cheers

Mark

Rob_Fenn
28-05-2010, 11:18 AM

Heres my old one,

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/BMWX5/LOWDSC00920.jpg

Don't get me wrong, for an off roader the old X5 was a great steer, but it is shockingly packaged. The rear seats are pathetic! Whereas in the Range Rover being in the back is arguably a better experience than being in the front.

As in the first post, i use a TDV8 and it was probably the best car i've driven, period. I know early ones have had issues, but this has been fine. The interior is exceptional and much, much better than a Range Rover Sport (although the facelift is improved).

Can't say i've tried the new X5, i like the look of them, but they are a bit 'drug dealer.'

NSX 2000
28-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Can't say i've tried the new X5, i like the look of them, but they are a bit 'drug dealer.'

I think that's a problem with most 4x4's (except volvo's :laugh: but wouldn't class them as a 4x4), thats why I'm looking at an Overfinch, more footballer than drug dealer :laugh:

TheSebringOne
28-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Talking about Overfinch, how about this Holland & Holland edition!

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/26/holland-and-holland-range-rover-by-overfinch-gun-and-booze-haulin/

It comes with a never ending supply of expensive tipple! I expect it would be chaffeur driven to take advantage!

NSX 2000
29-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Talking about Overfinch, how about this Holland & Holland edition!

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/26/holland-and-holland-range-rover-by-overfinch-gun-and-booze-haulin/

It comes with a never ending supply of expensive tipple! I expect it would be chaffeur driven to take advantage!

The only thing is it's not cheap :eek: