PDA

View Full Version : need brakes

Papalazarou
05-05-2010, 08:54 AM
I need to get some performance disks and pads before JF. Any ideas?

cheers,

James

AR
05-05-2010, 09:12 AM
How about just switching the pads for Mu B Spec or Honda Red and taking the heatshields off?

Also if you haven't, take the spare, tool kit and engine cover off.

Cheers,

AR

NSX 2000
05-05-2010, 09:27 AM
I would recommend Dixon

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=4499

Paul

markc
05-05-2010, 09:37 AM
I need to get some performance disks and pads before JF. Any ideas?

cheers,

James

James, you won't be out there long enough to need performance stuff :) A single 15min session won't stress the brakes, especially at Coombe which doesn't have any BIG stops.

As long as your standard stuff is in good order you'll be fine. Just make sure you have plenty of meat on the pads and bleed some fresh fluid through the system.

If you do go for new pads I'd also recommend the Project MU Spec B or Ferodo DS2500.

Cheers

Mark

Papalazarou
05-05-2010, 10:59 AM
I was hoping to do a few sessions next week. The last time I did sessions at CC the brakes faded about three laps in. I'd ordered a set of disks and pads a couple of months ago, but they haven't turned up, so I was looking for an alternative. At least my exhaust should be here by next week.

Cheers,

James.

Raj.p
05-05-2010, 11:08 AM
I was hoping to do a few sessions next week. The last time I did sessions at CC the brakes faded about three laps in. I'd ordered a set of disks and pads a couple of months ago, but they haven't turned up, so I was looking for an alternative. At least my exhaust should be here by next week.

Cheers,

James.

do the brakes fade that quick? Also what exhast system you putting on?

NoelWatson
05-05-2010, 11:32 AM
do the brakes fade that quick? Also what exhast system you putting on?

When my disks/pads were worn, my brakes were unhappy after a couple of hard stop at VMax.

simonprelude
05-05-2010, 11:58 AM
1 1/2 laps at Donington Park were enough to stop me taking the NSX out again before changing the brakes, thankfully I had the S2000 there as well.

If you can't get new discs and pads before next week then try stainless lines and new fluid.

Papalazarou
05-05-2010, 12:22 PM
1 1/2 laps at Donington Park were enough to stop me taking the NSX out again before changing the brakes, thankfully I had the S2000 there as well.

If you can't get new discs and pads before next week then try stainless lines and new fluid.

That's probably the best option.

Raj, the standard brakes are pretty reasonable when the disks and pads and calipers are in good shape, but they will still fade in a track environment. This is why I was ideally after an upgrade.
The silencer is a Tubi. I had one on my last NSX and really liked the sound. It's an exhaust you can easily live with but still sound great.

Cheers,

James

vtecdirect
05-05-2010, 12:34 PM
I can easily supply DS2500 pads and peformance pads and very probably stainless lines within 3-4 days.
Well fronts DS2500 anyway, there is no DS2500 rear pad, but reckon oem are ok on rear with decent stoppers on front.

markc
05-05-2010, 12:55 PM
do the brakes fade that quick?

No. However it does depends how good/fast you are on a circuit :)

You should warm them up on a track session rather than just go balls out straight away. In this way the disks and pads come up to temp smoothly rather than get "shocked" with a huge temperature input. The tyres will come to you as well by doing this as they won't have full grip until properly warm. One of our members found this last point out at Japfest a couple of years ago :(

When my disks/pads were worn, my brakes were unhappy after a couple of hard stop at VMax.

Relates to above really. One big stop puts a massive temperature shock into the system and is not the same as track driving. A grumbling sound and slightly soft or long pedal is quite normal after a single BIG stop like Bruntingthorpe.

There was something wrong with them though, glazed pads if I remember rightly?, OR you didn't bring them up to temp carefully ;)

Raj, the standard brakes are pretty reasonable when the disks and pads and calipers are in good shape, but they will still fade in a track environment. This is why I was ideally after an upgrade.

There's no question that the standard NSX brakes aren't up to lap after lap of 10/10ths attack BUT if they're in good shape with fresh pads and fluid you only have to back off a bit (say 10-20%) in the braking areas and they will stay with you for many many laps.

If you're doing a full or half day event where you will be on track for several hours, uprated disks, pads, lines and fluid would be a good idea.

A single 15min session is just not going to kill standard, well maintained, NSX brakes if you're half sensible.

I've done 30min+ sessions at Silverstone on the full GP circuit and the standard brakes (Project MU pads and Castrol SuperDot 4.1 fluid) were still with me. It does get a bit frustrating having to let other "slower" cars past because you're preserving your brakes/tyres but it teaches you how to drive to the limits of the car as it changes under you :)

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
06-05-2010, 04:16 PM
As Mark rightly says, warm up and then cool down at the start/finish of the session(s). Adopting this approach has not caused issue on track for me, and this was before I had Kaz work his magic and overhaul the whole system.

Project Mu's get my vote too, as does a fluid refresh if you do nothing else.

And dont forget, on track days there are no trophies so why push it right upto the limit anyway?

regards, Paul

markc
06-05-2010, 07:07 PM
And dont forget, on track days there are no trophies so why push it right upto the limit anyway?

Ahh but this is the place to push to the limit though, you certainly can't do it on any public road.

Track days are the place to learn how your car behaves at the limit, how that limit changes as the brakes and tyres warm up and then go "off" and also practice and hone your own technique behind the wheel :)

A single 15-20min session on track isn't really going to help with the above but could be a good introduction to proper track days.

Cheers

Mark

jaytip
07-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Ahh but this is the place to push to the limit though, you certainly can't do it on any public road.

Track days are the place to learn how your car behaves at the limit, how that limit changes as the brakes and tyres warm up and then go "off" and also practice and hone your own technique behind the wheel :)

A single 15-20min session on track isn't really going to help with the above but could be a good introduction to proper track days.

Cheers

Mark
I would agree with you if it was an airfield based circuit with wide run off areas but certainly not a good idea to "push it to the limit" at CC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88QT5JD46NE

Senninha
07-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Hi James,

Have the new discs arrived or you having to go the fluid route?

regards, Paul

Papalazarou
08-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Hi James,

Have the new discs arrived or you having to go the fluid route?

regards, Paul

Hi Paul,

Looks like new fluid as the disks never turned up. I'm now looking at alternative set-ups for the future. I like the bb kits, but it'll probably be disks and pads. However, the Ap kit at SOS looks good, if it fits the standard 17's.

Cheers,

James

amo
09-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Hi Paul,

Looks like new fluid as the disks never turned up. I'm now looking at alternative set-ups for the future. I like the bb kits, but it'll probably be disks and pads. However, the Ap kit at SOS looks good, if it fits the standard 17's.

Cheers,

James

mate is that 6 pots if yes you can try one of your wheels on mine to see if they fit mine are i think 9j 17's

thx amo

Papalazarou
09-05-2010, 08:47 PM
mate is that 6 pots if yes you can try one of your wheels on mine to see if they fit mine are i think 9j 17's

thx amo

Thanks Amo. Really appreciate the offer.

Cheers,

James

amo
09-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks Amo. Really appreciate the offer.

Cheers,

James

never said its free lol cost u a T lol
no worries mate

thx amo