PDA

View Full Version : Just plain greedy

Senninha
04-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Having worked in the motor trade many years ago I still find it hard to a) find a decent salesman and b) believe how stupid some of the smaller dealers can be.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1685426.htm

Fairway Trading (questionable choice of name IMO) is most definately in catergory B.

Not only has he/she loaded £6k onto what he paid a few weeks ago, but the add from which he/she bought it is still on PH showing the original price.

So for anyone looking for what is a nice car with 2 previous owners both forum members, you now know how much room you have to negotiate with!

Go get a deal boys'n'girls!

havoc
04-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Jesus! :shakeshead:

I'm always a little disappointed with how many people sell them to the trade...surely something like an NSX should sell itself, if it's even reasonably looked-after?!?

NSX100
05-05-2010, 04:14 AM
I posted a message on this March 30 entitled Coincidence.

This is BlueNSX's old car which I almost bought in December 2008 and it sold then for about 21,000 then with 38,000 miles after 6 weeks on the market. Excellent car in superb condition and until I bought mine I regretted not buying this one. It was then sold for 19,000 very quickly with a further 10,000 miles on the clock a month ago obviously to this dealer. As I said, just how stupid / desperate do these people think prospective NSX buyers are and why did the seller let it go so cheaply?

havoc
05-05-2010, 07:03 AM
As I said, just how stupid / desperate do these people think prospective NSX buyers are and why did the seller let it go so cheaply?
1) Given the lack of supply I'd guess if someone wants a good one quickly they'll pay for it (or have to wait). Dealers know a scarce resource when they see one, although this one IS taking the p;
2) Who knows...that is probably the real question.

markc
05-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Lovely car in lovely condition, when I last saw it (in Marks ownership). Well worth the asking price particularly when backed by trade terms and warranty.

As I said, just how stupid / desperate do these people think prospective NSX buyers are and why did the seller let it go so cheaply?

No desperation about it for prospective buyers. If you want either this colour combo OR a Targa OR just a lovely example of a late model 3.0Ltr NSX how many cars do you have to chose from?

Sometimes people need the money tied up in their vehicle very quickly so they take it to the trade and take what they're offered. To the motor trade ANY vehicle is a commodity, one to be bought as cheaply as possible and to sell on for as much profit as possible, it's the way the business works.

These emergency sales don't set the normal market price for a vehicle but they happen all the time. If you just happen to be in the right place at the right time with enough cash in your pocket all manor of bargains can be had... never happens to me though :(

Cheers

Mark

WhyOne?
05-05-2010, 09:39 AM

WhyOne?
05-05-2010, 09:40 AM
To the motor trade ANY vehicle is a commodity, one to be bought as cheaply as possible and to sell on for as much profit as possible, it's the way the business works.

I agree with Mark.

In the cold, harsh light of day, business is business.

No-one will be forced to pay £25k for that car. A prospective buyer will view it and, assuming they like it, will decide how much they want it and are willing to pay for the privelige. If what they are prepared to pay is too little for the seller, it will remain unsold.

At the end of the day, that is all that matters - what an individual is prepared to pay for a particular car.

Nick Graves
05-05-2010, 02:03 PM
I remember a similar car up for well over a year at 30K. It was quite a leggy example and I think an F-matic. I suppose it must have sold in the end.

eclipse1501
05-05-2010, 02:21 PM
I dont know this dealer but if somebody (even a trader) actually stumps up the $$$$ IMHO they have the right to ask just what they want. Plenty of wise folk (usually dreamers who dont have the money in the first place or building society types) sit with their nest egg safely in the bank and choose to talk a good game instead. Where would that leave the rest of us punters if all the forecourts were empty. In the end the guy will probably make a grand and meanwhile have a chunk of his capital tied up for a year.

nobby
05-05-2010, 08:17 PM
i was on the blower to the owner of the car shortly after he had posted the car up for sale on PH (probably < hr) ... he was a lovely man, acquired the car due to unfortunate/difficult circumstances ... i had asked for a list of the service history but it was all down with his neice in Wales, so he was getting it posted up ... just wanted to check details etc before i made the island hop over the following week, but over that w'end, that dealer just came down and purchased the car without the history :( ... and bought it for 19k cause the previous owner told me. it was a few wks that had went past when i spotted this car on autotrader and i was completely floored at the asking price :eek:... the guy has done squat to that car and is looking nearly 6k extra on it MAD! ... obviously he knows he can get it cause the same company had a silver targa with red leather interior before this one at a fairly hefty price, so obviously he has made a few bob on that one and fancied another punt ... but the balls on this guy then listing the same motor on PH with the old advert there ... what a plonker :laugh: ... totally caught out, see the ad has been removed anyway from PH. If you are reading this SHAME ON YOU, people like you give traders a bad name ... 6k markup ... disgusting :angry:

WhyOne?
05-05-2010, 08:36 PM
..... If you are reading this SHAME ON YOU, people like you give traders a bad name ... 6k markup ... disgusting :angry:

Sorry, I really don't get this.

The guy bought the car fair and square.

He is now asking ~£6k more for the car. If someone is willing to pay this, far-do's, good luck to the trader. If know-one will pay the asking price / a lower price, the trader will be stuck with the car indefinitely until he lowers his sights.

A car is worth what someone is willing to pay. No more, no less.

nobby
05-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Personally i think its unfair ... the seller obviously does too as he has removed his ad from PH ... as it is embarassing to even ask that sort of money when the original ad is still in place

i understand that business is business but a dealer has a reputation to maintain and i dont think he has done himself any favours ... everyone is entitled to an opinion ... i just think this is a very unfair asking price ... no doubt he will get a victim ... obviously made a mint on his last one hence the punt on this one too

Yes i am disappointed in not being able to secure this car, at the time of posting on PH but not too a degree that i am slagging the dealer off or have any malice towards them but just think its not right to hike such a price

Sorry, I really don't get this.

The guy bought the car fair and square.

He is now asking ~£6k more for the car. If someone is willing to pay this, far-do's, good luck to the trader. If know-one will pay the asking price / a lower price, the trader will be stuck with the car indefinitely until he lowers his sights.

A car is worth what someone is willing to pay. No more, no less.

Sudesh
05-05-2010, 09:01 PM
I think it depends on how much the dealer spends on the car if it needed anything ie,

Will come with a fresh service?
What about timing belts, plugs, water pump?
Coolant Hose service?
Will there be a warranty?
Profesionally detailed and nose cone etc done for chips?
Alloys refurb?
Did he have to put new tyre on it?
What about fresh mot and tax?

List could go on, personally if it was coming with all the work done then its not a bad price I guess, car looks very clean also.

Interesting that the add has disappeared

nobby
05-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Wheels were recently refurbed on the car and everyone spotless and all tyres were as new too, so no expenditure for the dealer on that one

the ad has disappeared cause he has realised the old ad is still there with a 19k asking price :no:... no wonder they were reluctant to put up pics ... but check autotrader the same car is there with different pics ... at least he done that much

I think it depends on how much the dealer spends on the car if it needed anything ie,

Will come with a fresh service?
What about timing belts, plugs, water pump?
Coolant Hose service?
Will there be a warranty?
Profesionally detailed and nose cone etc done for chips?
Alloys refurb?
Did he have to put new tyre on it?
What about fresh mot and tax?

List could go on, personally if it was coming with all the work done then its not a bad price I guess, car looks very clean also.

Interesting that the add has disappeared

Sudesh
05-05-2010, 09:15 PM
I see the link Paul posted still works!

Also found it on ebay, have to say, the add is disappointing, very little wording, no detailed info about history, tax or mot or anything intersting, nothing about the aftermarket exhaust and just 4 pics.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-NSX-Convertible-TARGA-LOW-MILES-/250605348046?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a593e24ce#ht_1131wt_1165

markc
05-05-2010, 09:20 PM
It's a lovely clean car in a great colour combo so should attract a lot of interest :)

Regardless of the "distress" nature of the sale by it's last owner this seems to me a fair price for the car coming as it does with trade backup and reflects the strengthening of prices for nice NSXs.

I really do wish you the best of luck with your search Nobby but you will probably have to pay this sort of money to get into a really nice NSX.

Cheers

Mark

amo
05-05-2010, 09:25 PM
sorry but i cant see the prob
man buys car 19k
man sells car 25k

6k nice sell sure we all would have done it if we bought it to sell

thx amo

nobby
05-05-2010, 09:33 PM
thanks mate

appreciate your thoughts on my purchase blues

totally understand that low to mid 20's is the likely asking price for a good example NSX of that era ... just a tad shocked at the bumping price

It's a lovely clean car in a great colour combo so should attract a lot of interest :)

Regardless of the "distress" nature of the sale by it's last owner this seems to me a fair price for the car coming as it does with trade backup and reflects the strengthening of prices for nice NSXs.

I really do wish you the best of luck with your search Nobby but you will probably have to pay this sort of money to get into a really nice NSX.

Cheers

Mark

AR
05-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Guys is all about capitalism, that is the way it works.

NSX100
06-05-2010, 02:33 AM
When Mark was selling the car in December 2008 (after 6 weeks on the market for 21,000) it was in superb, unmarked condition with a full service history hence my regrets at not buying it at the time. The guy who sold it to this trader took a 2,000 hit in 1 year.

Interestingly the silver one that is referred to was a similar spec but less good condion and on the market for 6 months with this dealer at 22,500 before disappearing. I would not be too sure that he made a "killing". It was originally listed at 24,000 as well.

But as Ari says, it is all about capitalism - the car will sell for what someone is willing to pay, no more.

gumball
06-05-2010, 09:10 AM
He wouldn't be a dealer for long if he sold for less than he paid. :doh:

Nick Graves
06-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Indeed; by the time you take overheads, advertising, repairs etc into account, a stealer HAS to look towards that sort of mark-up on a car in order to make a living.

Like I said earlier, it makes a car SEEM expensive, which is why I prefer private purchases. But an NSX is so rare, you have to get them where you can.

WhyOne?
06-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Personally i think its unfair ... ... i just think this is a very unfair asking price ...

OK, take another example.

Do you on occasion eat and drink wine in restaurants?

Mark up on wine is typically 300-400% (and quite often even more).

Is this unfair? Is this greedy?

Possibly on both counts, but nobody is compelled to buy wine in restaurants, and not too many people complain about the mark-ups which as a % are much greater than that being applied to the NSX in question here.

gumball
06-05-2010, 12:30 PM
On the contrary(to OP), most NSXs go for far too little considering supply and reputation.

Senninha
06-05-2010, 04:07 PM
All,

Just for information, the selling of this NSX to the trade was sadly due to the passing of the wonderful Gent who purshased it from Mark.

It gave its last owner 2,000 very happy miles of motoring who realised his dream of NSX ownership. £1 per mile of happiness ... great value.

The sale was made by a family member that I spoke with several times, who had been left the car but did not wish to keep it. The dealer did not make his business known and approached the purchase as a private buyer.

The point of my original post was to highlight the all to often lack of professionalism displayed by members of the motor trade.

regards, Paul

AR
06-05-2010, 04:15 PM
The dealer did not make his business known and approached the purchase as a private buyer.

The point of my original post was to highlight the all to often lack of professionalism displayed by members of the motor trade.

regards, Paul

Then Paul that is deception and the buyer/dealer is a C**T.

JQD84983
06-05-2010, 04:19 PM
sorry but i cant see the prob
man buys car 19k
man sells car 25k

6k nice sell sure we all would have done it if we bought it to sell

I agree totally. Also being a dealer he maybe beat the guy down below 19K? Who knows.

Its not life and death. Too much -> dont buy. Simple.

AR
06-05-2010, 05:54 PM
I agree totally. Also being a dealer he maybe beat the guy down below 19K? Who knows.

Its not life and death. Too much -> dont buy. Simple.

Yes but to say is a private buyer when he is a dealer is wrong.

nobby
06-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Paul

the seller was an absolute gentleman and very courteous to me at all times. When he informed me that the car was sold he was taken aback as he knew I was very keen but under the circumstances he had to sell and I totally respected his actions. He did want the car to go to another NSX enthusiast as his brother was ... It's just a pity the car is available again in the manner currently but hey he had the flexibility to buy I did not due to my location. Icould not act quickly enuff

Paul if your speaking to him again pass on my best wishes. A true GENT

All,

Just for information, the selling of this NSX to the trade was sadly due to the passing of the wonderful Gent who purshased it from Mark.

It gave its last owner 2,000 very happy miles of motoring who realised his dream of NSX ownership. £1 per mile of happiness ... great value.

The sale was made by a family member that I spoke with several times, who had been left the car but did not wish to keep it. The dealer did not make his business known and approached the purchase as a private buyer.

regards, Paul

gcon45
06-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Hmmm...

So this trader preyed on a grieving relative of the deceased owner of a NSX posing as a private buyer purely for financial gain?

Pretty low in my book.

TheSebringOne
06-05-2010, 07:56 PM
I know its greedy, but the trader is only doing what he does, buying cars as cheap as possible and selling at the highest price possible. He may have to lower it to secure a sale.