PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs - service interval on 02+

Ewan
04-05-2010, 02:01 PM
hi all - I am pretty sure that the service schedule for my 03 car said the sparks needed changing at 84 months or 63,000 miles. So I ordered a set and called to book the car in for the service, and they've just said the plugs don't need doing until 96 months...

I've seen another generic Honda service schedule that says platinum tipped plugs (such as these - I have 6x NGK Double Platinum (PFR6L-11) from Opie Oils) don't need replacing until 105,000 miles...

Can anyone confirm/deny? I guess if I can avoid doing the plugs now, then I might as well wait until the cambelt service and get the lot done...

cheers
Ewan

Sudesh
04-05-2010, 03:20 PM
I prefer to do this service at my own intervals and with visual inspection, especially the rear bank where water can enter easily if the seal is perished.

See here from post #205

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=6702&page=21

AR
04-05-2010, 06:32 PM
I woulkd do it if I was you. It is really easy, that is unless you have big hands!

Ewan
04-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks guys - now I'm home, I've checked both my service book (6883) and the service manual (6881which will has, I think, international service schedules rather than Euro-specific ones). Since I can't find anything definitive online, and it's not unusual to see questions about what other peoples' service schedules say, I figured I'd post them online here.

84 months - sparks it is then! The Service Manual says 84 months is also the time for timing belt/water pump inspection, but I'm going to wait until next year as per the Euro service schedule.

rgds
Ewan

NoelWatson
04-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks guys - now I'm home, I've checked both my service book (6883) and the service manual (6881which will has, I think, international service schedules rather than Euro-specific ones). Since I can't find anything definitive online, and it's not unusual to see questions about what other peoples' service schedules say, I figured I'd post them online here.

84 months - sparks it is then! The Service Manual says 84 months is also the time for timing belt/water pump inspection, but I'm going to wait until next year as per the Euro service schedule.

rgds
Ewan

I had the 72k/96 months service done, and have the euro service schedule in front of me. They did the spark plugs - iridium apparently.

markc
04-05-2010, 07:52 PM
I woulkd do it if I was you. It is really easy, that is unless you have big hands!

Honda are even thoughtful enough to supply you with a spark plug socket wrench in the NSX tool kit :)

You do need it mind as the front 3 spark plugs require a socket extension exactly between the standard lengths supplied with your socket set.

Cheers

Mark

AR
04-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Honda are even thoughtful enough to supply you with a spark plug socket wrench in the NSX tool kit :)

You do need it mind as the front 3 spark plugs require a socket extension exactly between the standard lengths supplied with your socket set.

Cheers

Mark

Mark is not the extension, as I used my own tools, is the size of my fingers. The coil pack are a pain as you need both hands to undo the clip.

Cheers,

Ary

goldnsx
04-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Changing spark plugs due to miles is much more indicated than on time. What goes bad with a spark plug over time if the car doesn't get driven? Nothing!;)

Kaz-kzukNA1
05-05-2010, 10:42 AM
It’s always interesting to learn something new regarding the difference on the maintenance schedule between UK, US and Japan.
I knew there were quite big difference on the timing belt schedule but interested to learn that the spark plug was included in the time/age related maintenance schedule for UK and US models.

For JDM, apart from the change in the heat range of the spark plug for later models, the maintenance schedule was always 100K km (about 63K miles) without any time related condition. Lots of NSX owners in Japan never experienced any issues with OEM spark plugs well over 10 years.

For me, I’ll follow the 63K miles condition plus the visual inspection.

Most of the time, the fatigue on this specific spark plug will occur at the area where the metal housing and the insulator meets before the centre tip and GND electrode start to show the sign of decay.

I tried several different aftermarket ones, looked at many NSX engines and after talking to the NSX tuners, as a personal view, there is not much point in using any aftermarket spark plugs than using the OEM specified ones considering the balance between the cost and durability for our engine even with lightly tuned ones.

Kaz