PDA

View Full Version : Is this Porsche any good.......??

simonprelude
03-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I know a lot on here keep mentioning a certain Porsche and I can't remember what it is, I had a play with this the other day and it sounded lovely.

NoelWatson
03-05-2010, 07:57 PM
i know a lot on here keep mentioning a certain porsche and i can't remember what it is, i had a play with this the other day and it sounded lovely.

1973 2.7 rs?

Dragonlady
03-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Love the numberplate:)

Raj.p
04-05-2010, 08:43 AM
1973 2.7 rs?

Yup, thats what it looks like to me too, the porsche carrera rs

PeteM
04-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Love the numberplate:)

Got to love the use of a felt tip pen, cardboard and gaffer tape !

markc
07-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Legendary car the 2.7RS, only 210hp but under 1000kgs in Lightweight trim.

Yes they do sound fantastic :) They often have centre exit exhausts which can be blocked off in favour of the normal side exit when you need to be quiet for trackdays.

There are a lot of replicas about, built up from lesser same age cars (2.2 or 2.4 E or T or S models), so it may or may not be a genuine original. The replicas often use genuine RS parts or more modern (better) ones and are faster BUT not worth anything like as much. It's ALL about the chassis number.

Similar to a genuine NSX-R really, no amount of R parts will turn a NSX into a genuine NSX-R... or indeed Type S ;)

Genuine 2.7 RS's change hands for between £150K and £250K, depending on spec and provenance, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was taking it fairly easy on the public road.

Cheers

Mark

dan the man
08-05-2010, 05:58 AM
I love the shape and the new 997 that echos it

NoelWatson
08-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Legendary car the 2.7RS, only 210hp but under 1000kgs in Lightweight trim.

Yes they do sound fantastic :) They often have centre exit exhausts which can be blocked off in favour of the normal side exit when you need to be quiet for trackdays.

There are a lot of replicas about, built up from lesser same age cars (2.2 or 2.4 E or T or S models), so it may or may not be a genuine original. The replicas often use genuine RS parts or more modern (better) ones and are faster BUT not worth anything like as much. It's ALL about the chassis number.

Similar to a genuine NSX-R really, no amount of R parts will turn a NSX into a genuine NSX-R... or indeed Type S ;)

Genuine 2.7 RS's change hands for between £150K and £250K, depending on spec and provenance, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was taking it fairly easy on the public road.

Cheers

Mark

I have been in one - it was a number of years back. Think it was genuine.

TheSebringOne
08-05-2010, 06:35 PM
If its geniune, then they are really rare, think around 1500 were made between 1972-1973 and mint ones are going for £300k+ :eek:

NoelWatson
08-05-2010, 07:07 PM
If its geniune, then they are really rare, think around 1500 were made between 1972-1973 and mint ones are going for £300k+ :eek:

It had leather door straps - not sure if that means anything.

markc
09-05-2010, 07:31 PM

Not THAT rare really, more than twice as common as the NSX-R (5 times as common as the Type S :))

The model has fantastic racing, and rallying, credentials though and was driven by some of the great drivers which at least partially accounts for their value today.

The RS Lightweights (code M471) fetch a lot more than the RS Tourings (M472) primarily because they made a lot less of them. The former was the basis for the race cars and the latter the one aimed at normal road users. Same engine gearbox and suspension though just no luxuries like carpets etc.

Cheers

Mark

simonprelude
09-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Just had a look on the DVLA website and it is a 1973 2.7, also by where it was going I'd say it wasn't a replica.

markc
11-05-2010, 03:57 AM
J... also by where it was going I'd say it wasn't a replica.

What on earth does that mean :)

Is it a top secret genuine chassis number only Porsche venue? If it was headed to the Porsche Club GB HQ at Cornbury House in Gloucestershire, is just as likely to be a replica as anywhere else as these excellent replicas/recreations are accepted by the as such by the club for what they are i.e. better than RS RS's but still not the real, original thing.

Cheers

Mark

simonprelude
11-05-2010, 10:36 AM
What on earth does that mean :)

It's not the sort of area where someone would say for instance buy an NSX and put NSX-R badges on it.

I think the average house price is greater than £500k, then again I guess it means nothing. However, if it was who I think it could have been then there are far more exotica in the garage than that.

TheQuietOne
11-05-2010, 01:34 PM
However, if it was who I think it could have been then there are far more exotica in the garage than that.

From one cryptic comment to another....:D

Hagasan
11-05-2010, 02:13 PM

A certain JK?

JQD84983
11-05-2010, 04:54 PM
A certain JK?

If it is his hand writing is crap judging by the numberplate

simonprelude
11-05-2010, 05:11 PM

Just someone who's known locally.

markc
13-05-2010, 05:31 PM
It's not the sort of area where someone would say for instance buy an NSX and put NSX-R badges on it.

I think the average house price is greater than £500k, then again I guess it means nothing. However, if it was who I think it could have been then there are far more exotica in the garage than that.

Reet posh round your neck of the woods ehh Simon ;)

Just someone who's known locally.

Chris Evans lives just up the road from me but it's easy to spot his cars :)

Cheers

Mark

simonprelude
13-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Reet posh round your neck of the woods ehh Simon ;)

Far removed from my neck of the woods, I'd be classed as riff raff there, then again as I've just changed the exhaust on the S2000 I'm probably that again around here.

Chris Evans lives just up the road from me but it's easy to spot his cars :)

From my experience they're the ones with big clouds of white smoke coming out of the back.

markc
14-05-2010, 04:15 AM
From my experience they're the ones with big clouds of white smoke coming out of the back.

He's so obsessed with white Ferrari's I think he does that on purpose so that the exhaust emissions match the paintwork :)

Cheers

Mark