PDA

View Full Version : RCA Leads question

nakamichi
01-05-2010, 10:56 PM
hi
I want to replace the bose speakers with component speakers and an amplifier.
Can I splice rca leads into the existing harness and if so,which wires should I use?
I know I can get a adaptor harness but I am thinking it must be possible to use the existing harness.
Anyone done it?
cheers
Tony

Sudesh
02-05-2010, 09:22 AM
When you take the stereo out, you should find a little pic showing the pin outs

hi
I want to replace the bose speakers with component speakers and an amplifier.
Can I splice rca leads into the existing harness and if so,which wires should I use?
I know I can get a adaptor harness but I am thinking it must be possible to use the existing harness.
Anyone done it?
cheers
Tony

nakamichi
02-05-2010, 09:26 AM
searched Prime and found this:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68814&highlight=harness
seems easy enough
cheers

Sudesh
02-05-2010, 09:30 AM
just be careful with the color codes of the wires, I noticed the US one was different from my car, and found it better to use the pic on the stereo itself.

searched Prime and found this:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68814&highlight=harness
seems easy enough
cheers

nakamichi
02-05-2010, 06:47 PM
managed to work it out:)
fitted component speakers and an amplifier today.Cheaper than getting the Bose amps repaired and sound a hell of a lot better.
thanks for the help

Raj.p
04-05-2010, 08:36 AM
managed to work it out:)
fitted component speakers and an amplifier today.Cheaper than getting the Bose amps repaired and sound a hell of a lot better.
thanks for the help

What amp and speakers did you use if you dont mind me asking?

nobby
04-05-2010, 09:55 AM
is it possible to just buy a new headunit and run the speakers of the internal amp on the headunit or do u have to buy a separate amp?

this is the route i would like to follow once i lay my hands on a car first off! ;)

where did you mount the amp as space is limited on an NSX?

Sudesh
04-05-2010, 10:08 AM
There are a few very neat ways of doing an after market install, my favourite is removing the OEM speakers from there cases, replacing with something better and adding an amp. I retain all the OEM wiring and bridge the OEM speaker sockets so the signal travels to the new speakers.

If you want to go bigger and louder then the speaker cases wont be of much use, so you can either make up your own door support or buy one from SOS. Personally I dont see why anyone wants to put a big loud system in the NSX, with such an "acoustic" cabin, you dont need anything too loud.

I have basically got no sound system in my car, no radio, no door speakers or base etc. What I have done though is add a hidden system, nothing over the top and quite simple. I installed a mini amp, and have 3 small light weight speakers in the car. The mini amp is in the arm rest and I can basically connect any form of player to the amp, even my phone.

To install the AMP I basically turned the base of the arm rest upside down as I wanted to use the metal surface so I could use velcro strips to attach the amp and not to damage or drill into anything. I then covered the top half in black leather.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/SAM_0800.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/SAM_0802.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/SAM_0804.jpg

The amp is powered by the OEM plug so works like the radio and power on and off via ignition. I just use a jack to phono lead and plug in my ipod, if I need to listen to the radio I can plug in my phone as it has radio function!

Sudesh
04-05-2010, 10:14 AM
If your installing a new head unit, you can just work with that and speakers, If you want big sound then add an amp.

If working with an OEM head unit and after market speakers you need an amp

Depending on year of car and size of amp, you can do an install with the AMP behind the bass box on the floor. Some also put it in the boot and Ive seen amps behind the seats [dont like that method]

is it possible to just buy a new headunit and run the speakers of the internal amp on the headunit or do u have to buy a separate amp?

this is the route i would like to follow once i lay my hands on a car first off! ;)

where did you mount the amp as space is limited on an NSX?

Nick Graves
04-05-2010, 11:12 AM
I have to say Sudesh, that is brilliant in its simplicity!

I've looked at loads of ICE head units and have come to the conclusion that most are overpriced toot. I have a double DIN hole in the Prelude, but nothing is offered with adequate functionality, merely gimmicks.

If only I had a phone with DAB radio. Ok, the antenna might look a bit rude, I'll admit...

nobby
05-05-2010, 04:10 PM
errr mate!!!

YOU WILL BE DOING THE INSTALLING FOR ME BTW! :) ;) :cool: :laugh:

most head units have a pretty decent amp internally now anyway, so hoping this should power the standard speakers in the car anyway. I do have an external amp but she is a big pro audio amp with 4x100 ... not sure if i want to put this beast into an NSX though!

If your installing a new head unit, you can just work with that and speakers, If you want big sound then add an amp.

If working with an OEM head unit and after market speakers you need an amp

Depending on year of car and size of amp, you can do an install with the AMP behind the bass box on the floor. Some also put it in the boot and Ive seen amps behind the seats [dont like that method]

Kaz-kzukNA1
05-05-2010, 07:18 PM
I believe you are going to use the aftermarket headunit with built-in amp to drive the aftermarket speakers so following information won’t be any use for you.

However, in case someone here may consider driving the Bose speakers by bypassing the Bose amp and use the aftermarket amp or the aftermarket headunit with built-in amp, please refer to the following information.

OEM Bose speaker has very low impedance. It’s about 0.9ohm over the frequency range.
Most of the aftermarket speakers have impedance of 4ohm so majority of the aftermarket amp/headunit are designed to match this impedance.

Therefore, if you try to drive the Bose speakers with the aftermarket amp/headunit, you’ll get some audio but the quality won’t be good and at higher volume, some of the headunits will shut down the amp output to protect itself from overdriving.

If you want to use the OEM Bose speaker, it is best to keep using the Bose amp from the impedance matching point of view.

There are several ways to match the impedance if you insist in using the aftermarket amp/headunit with Bose speakers but these methods are not really the best solutions.

When all of the Bose amps are working fine, for me, I'm happy with the OEM sound system using the iPod adaptor.

Regards,
Kaz

nobby
05-05-2010, 08:28 PM
BUMMER!

why is nothing simple re this CAR! :angry:

i was actually hoping to keep the standard speakers in the car and just bypass :(

what are the speaker sizes that you need to purchase to fit into the original housings?

dont want to start cutting etc. just want a simple solution and a nice new head unit in the car that is 2010 and not early 90's with a blasted tape deck

howver the car i am looking at has an aftermarket single DIN already in place so not sure what mess is lurking behind that ... something else no doubt that will reduce my savings balance i would guess :no:

thanks for the info Kaz, your a star, but at a guess I'm sure Sudesh knew most of this and at some point he would have said to me anyways

just typical of Honda to make life difficult ... and Bose are as bad ... their products are a PAIN to match up too

I believe you are going to use the aftermarket headunit with built-in amp to drive the aftermarket speakers so following information won’t be any use for you.

However, in case someone here may consider driving the Bose speakers by bypassing the Bose amp and use the aftermarket amp or the aftermarket headunit with built-in amp, please refer to the following information.

OEM Bose speaker has very low impedance. It’s about 0.9ohm over the frequency range.
Most of the aftermarket speakers have impedance of 4ohm so majority of the aftermarket amp/headunit are designed to match this impedance.

Therefore, if you try to drive the Bose speakers with the aftermarket amp/headunit, you’ll get some audio but the quality won’t be good and at higher volume, some of the headunits will shut down the amp output to protect itself from overdriving.

If you want to use the OEM Bose speaker, it is best to keep using the Bose amp from the impedance matching point of view.

There are several ways to match the impedance if you insist in using the aftermarket amp/headunit with Bose speakers but these methods are not really the best solutions.

When all of the Bose amps are working fine, for me, I'm happy with the OEM sound system using the iPod adaptor.

Regards,
Kaz

Sudesh
05-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Dont you worry about it lol

Already have plans on what to do to your car:)

BUMMER!

why is nothing simple re this CAR! :angry:

i was actually hoping to keep the standard speakers in the car and just bypass :(

what are the speaker sizes that you need to purchase to fit into the original housings?

dont want to start cutting etc. just want a simple solution and a nice new head unit in the car that is 2010 and not early 90's with a blasted tape deck

howver the car i am looking at has an aftermarket single DIN already in place so not sure what mess is lurking behind that ... something else no doubt that will reduce my savings balance i would guess :no:

thanks for the info Kaz, your a star, but at a guess I'm sure Sudesh knew most of this and at some point he would have said to me anyways

just typical of Honda to make life difficult ... and Bose are as bad ... their products are a PAIN to match up too

nobby
05-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Never said I was worried mate! ;)

Know you have me back covered and sorted! :D :cool:

SWEEEETTTTT!

Its an interesting thread though and something as you know i have been thinking off

Dont you worry about it lol

Already have plans on what to do to your car:)

nakamichi
06-05-2010, 03:07 PM
I used a Fli 2 channel amplifier mounted on the panel behind the passenger seat.I installed 6.5 inch component speakers
mounted in the stock speaker position with the tweeters in the door panell just above the air vents.My pc is down at the moment so can't post pictures but it is a very neat install even though I say so myself.