PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl wrapping roof

gcon45
29-04-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm thinking of having my roof and pillars vinyl wrapped in black.

Has anyone else done this?

What is generally involved and is it easy to remove if I don't like it or get bored with it over time?

The car would look exactly like this:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1804/nsx05.jpg (http://img26.imageshack.us/i/nsx05.jpg/)

Opinions and advice welcome!

jaytip
29-04-2010, 10:34 PM
You will have plenty of different opinions on this one!!! Personaly i think the 02+ looks better colour coded.

Sudesh
29-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Love the black top!

I spoke to a company here that quoted me £80.00 do do a vinyl wrap on the top half. If you dont like the look then they can remove it very easily.

gcon45
29-04-2010, 10:42 PM
You will have plenty of different opinions on this one!!! Personaly i think the 02+ looks better colour coded.

Thought as much mate!

I'm undecided really but there's something about the black roof that defines the lines of the car better (or something!).

Quite hard to describe.

gcon45
29-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Love the black top!

I spoke to a company here that quoted me £80.00 do do a vinyl wrap on the top half. If you dont like the look then they can remove it very easily.

That's quite good value for money Sudesh.

Do the firm come to you or vice-versa?

Also - how durable is the vinyl and how do you clean it / protect it?

Sudesh
29-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Think you have to take the car to them Connor; cant really comment on the durability or how to clean as I havent had it done, but Paul, [Senninha] might be able to advise better.

That's quite good value for money Sudesh.

Do the firm come to you or vice-versa?

Also - how durable is the vinyl and how do you clean it / protect it?

Sudesh
29-04-2010, 11:00 PM
There's something about the black roof that defines the lines of the car better (or something!).

Quite hard to describe.

Because its how the car began an based on fighter jet look lol

http://www.irquick.net/jahani/car%20photos/F-15_NSX%20008%208x6.jpg

gcon45
29-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Because its how the car began an based on fighter jet look lol

Hammer > Nail > Head!

Lol!

TheSebringOne
29-04-2010, 11:26 PM
I prefer the roof to be the same colour as the rest of the car, but its all down to personal preference. Also I think a black roof looks better on a NA1 rather than a NA2 02+.

It has been discussed before that a black roof can make the car look lower & sleeker?

Senninha
30-04-2010, 07:24 AM
Hi Connor,

Once the material has fully dried it can be treated jsut as per paintwork, ie washed, waxed and even jet washed if so inclined!

The one thing to accept is that it will not have the depth of shine of paintwork.

As for durablility, mines over a year old now and apart from a couple of stone chips from the winter driving, its as good as the day it was applied.

On your car I think it will look great!

regards, Paul

WhyOne?
30-04-2010, 08:20 AM
This is something I have mused over once or twice in the past and would be interested to hear peoples views on using a satin finish black wrap, rather than gloss, for the roof section

Good, bad or indifferent?!

:)

Sudesh
30-04-2010, 08:32 AM
I almost had this done a few months back! Still undecided on what it would look like.

This is something I have mused over once or twice in the past and would be interested to hear peoples views on using a satin finish black wrap, rather than gloss, for the roof section

Senninha
30-04-2010, 08:36 AM
I like the idea of a satin roof ... I think you may need to do the mirrors as well?

Ian, Raccoon are just down the road from you so you could pick up a sample of material and offer it up ...

regards, Paul

markc
30-04-2010, 08:40 AM

Personally I don't think a satin finish would work.

Now I might put a England flag on the roof of mine just for the summer :)

Cheers

Mark

WhyOne?
30-04-2010, 08:46 AM

Chavtastic!

;)

NSXGB
30-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Personally I don't think a satin finish would work.

Cheers

Mark

Now there's an idea for our German trip!

rocco1
30-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Hello all,i too am thinking of of my roof wrapped in black.so let me know how it goes,good luck.To tell you the truth i was thinking of having the whole top half wrapped in black inc mirrors!

gumball
30-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Vinyl wrap looks really good and hard to tell it's done nowadays. And black cockpit roof is definitely the way to go.
The second gen R went back to how the NSX should be. :thumbsup:

markc
30-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Now there's an idea for our German trip!

Several NSXs adorned with them and "flying" in formation into Germany would look great :)

These could be trimmed to fit...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Roof-St-Georges-Cross-England-Flag-decal-/320523157633?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa0ab4081

Vinyl wrap looks really good and hard to tell it's done nowadays. And black cockpit roof is definitely the way to go.
The second gen R went back to how the NSX should be. :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure the NA2 NSX-R could, just like the NA1 version, be had in any colour combo. It was just the white/black ones that were used in the brochure and for the press.

Cheers

Mark

NSXGB
30-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Several NSXs adorned with them and "flying" in formation into Germany would look great :)

These could be trimmed to fit...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Roof-St-Georges-Cross-England-Flag-decal-/320523157633?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa0ab4081

Can't get onto ebay at work...is that the England flag in shades of grey or RW & B? Was thinking the grey & black version on my black roof could look cool for the trip...

WhyOne?
30-04-2010, 07:32 PM
That is a R & W cross of St. George Simon.

NSXGB
30-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks Ian.

markc
30-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Can't get onto ebay at work...is that the England flag in shades of grey or RW & B? Was thinking the grey & black version on my black roof could look cool for the trip...

Yes a monochrome version would work quite well on a silver car in an artistic sort of way but Red & White would be properly pinning your colours to the mast for our World Cup campaign... just 41 days to go! :)

Cheers

Mark

Nick Graves
01-05-2010, 10:17 AM
The irony of you lot wanting black roofs and me wanting a body-colour one isn't wasted!

If only they bolted-on, like a Triumph Herald of a Borgward Arabella!

jeanlee411
09-05-2010, 03:13 AM
I prefer the roof to be the same colour as the rest of the car, but its all down to personal preference. Also I think a black roof looks better on a NA1 rather than a NA2 02+.

It has been discussed before that a black roof can make the car look lower & sleeker?
Once the material has fully dried it can be treated jsut as per paintwork, ie washed, waxed and even jet washed if so inclined!

The one thing to accept is that it will not have the depth of shine of paintwork.

As for durablility, mines over a year old now and apart from a couple of stone chips from the winter driving, its as good as the day it was applied.

On your car I think it will look great!

Sudesh
13-05-2010, 09:22 AM
So did you decided to go for it yet connor? Noticed you Avatar has changed to the red/black:)

gcon45
14-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Hey Sudesh.

Yeah I had it done on Tuesday.

Great job I have to say.

I had the roof and pillars wrapped in 3M laminated vinyl.

The actual outer lamination takes a week or so to settle then I can polish it and wax it so it comes up like a mirror.

Looks a bit dull until then but here's a quick pic for you to get an idea:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3958/p1020909t.jpg (http://img404.imageshack.us/i/p1020909t.jpg/)

The chap that did it made a great job of the door handle cavities where the vinyl had to be heated and moulded round the contours of the door.

Having this done has just made me want to have the roof and pillars professionally painted permanently but I'm going to leave it like that for a few months just to be 100% sure.

I'll get some proper pics up once the lamination layer has settled and it's looking glossy!

Sudesh
14-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Stunning already!

Look forward to seeing the other pics! That will be unique combo you have now.

nobby
14-05-2010, 09:35 PM
hi connor

i think it looks really well too mate ... the black roof is nice on these cars ... and i am not just being biased either :rolleyes:

nice job mate, be good to see what it looks like when you are able to polish up too

PeteM
14-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Love it, can't wait to see more pics.

Cheers

Pete

Thunder
15-05-2010, 08:58 PM
a good thing has to know, the color black absorbs the infra red rays , in summer, heat in the cockpit will become very high, system A/C must be operational if not the weather will be very hot has interior, it's for that i have a red car!
best the colors against the heat of the sun is the white, silver, yellow and red

gumball
16-05-2010, 08:28 AM
a good thing has to know, the color black absorbs the infra red rays , in summer, heat in the cockpit will become very high, system A/C must be operational if not the weather will be very hot has interior, it's for that i have a red car!
best the colors against the heat of the sun is the white, silver, yellow and red

they decided to setup a white and black car and answer another viewer's question, which color of car gets hotter in the sun?

Results: after four hours into experiment the black car was 135 degrees, the white car was 126 degrees.

Still looks the best. :D