PDA

View Full Version : Centre console modification

Paul
03-10-2005, 08:05 PM
I took my original centre console to a company in Andover who do re-trims, audio installs, alarms, etc. etc.

They are nearing the end of the work to blank out the two slot OEM tape and radio installation to fit a single aftermarket DIN slot which will house my Alpine system (touch screen Sat Nav jobbie). This afternoon I took the airvent section that sits atop the centre console section so that when they finish the centre console off they can finish both in the same colour.

It's taken a little while and has included inserting a couple of aliminium strips to strenghten the sides of the main centre console ... held in by some fibre glass ... to help keep things nice and strong and prevent it cracking up or breaking in the future.

When I dropped off the air vent section today I got a quick glimpse of the work so far and it's looking very good all in all. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to post anything about it for a couple of weeks at least, but anyone thinking of getting a replacement made up for an after market stereo should, if they can hold fire for a couple of weeks till I pick up the finished article and post some pictures.

My main reasons for going down this route were to regain use of the cigarette lighter for phone charging and tyre compressor etc. but more importantly to get the air conditioning sensor back in place so I can use the air conditioning properly, rather than either freezing, or cooking, myself silly! Oh yes, iot also means my switch gear behind the gear sick will no longer sag down into the centre console, but will sit nicely back where it should, being held in place by the appropriate mounting screws and clips :-)

So, rather than go rushing off to get someone to bodge it for you, wait till I can post some pictures of a professional job.

Greybloke
03-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Sounds like a good plan. Look forward to seeing how it works out.

I took the decision to buy a dali racing rh console from his initial batch, so I could keep the stock item, and revert if neccessary in the future. This enabled me to incorporate my new standard din head unit (this one also has a cable feed to my ipod in the central glove box and thus eliminates the need for a CD multi changer)
As I dont smoke I lost the ashtray, and installed the S2000 power socket and starter ! ( Both available from your friendly dealer or ebay!) This work was done by Chelmersound car audio, who were very helpful and even made a very neat job incorporating the a/c sensor. Overall I'm pleased that I now have a practical solution, which can be removed and converted to stock in the future. Just an alternative approach.