PDA

View Full Version : MOT Failure

Mark N
27-04-2010, 10:28 AM
I have just had an MOT carried out by a Honda main dealer and my car failed on the exhaust emmissions.:( This is due to it being a 95 car which originally had cats fitted.
When i brought the car it had a DC sports system and aftermarket headers already fitted.The car also had a recent MOT so i decided to take it back to the same place for a second opion.It passed with flying colours:DGo figure.
My question is has anyone else had this problem and how did they resolve it.I would like to keep the exhaust system as it sounds great but i do not want the hasle every year when a MOT is due.Is fitting high flow cats an option with this exhaust and would that pass an MOT?
Any advice would be appreciated
Mark

jaytip
27-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Just take it the place that passes it.Job done!!

AR
27-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Just take it the place that passes it.Job done!!

In the words of of Alexander the Meerkat...Simples! :)

simonprelude
27-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Does the place that passes it do an emissions test, if so and it passes then what is the reasoning behind Honda failing it?

The MOT has an emissions test, not a visual check to see if there are CATs fitted.
There is a check for the state of the exhaust system, that checks for leaks etc, not the configuration or make up of the exhaust. Just tell them the test pipes are CATs and get them to prove otherwise.

If the MOT station that passes the car isn't do an emissions test then they are very naughty, however as above......... simples.

NSX 2000
27-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Does the place that passes it do an emissions test, if so and it passes then what is the reasoning behind Honda failing it?

The MOT has an emissions test, not a visual check to see if there are CATs fitted.
There is a check for the state of the exhaust system, that checks for leaks etc, not the configuration or make up of the exhaust. Just tell them the test pipes are CATs and get them to prove otherwise.

If the MOT station that passes the car isn't do an emissions test then they are very naughty, however as above......... simples.

The MOT station next to where I work said something about changes to the MOT and that they have failed a lot of cars that passed last year on CAT/emissions thing.

Mark N
28-04-2010, 07:45 AM

The way I understood it is if it has cats fitted the readings should be within a certain reading (post 92 cars).
If cats were not fitted by manufactures (Pre 92 cars) the exhaust emmissions are read using a different scale so higher values pass.
I think the second MOT was carried out using the no cat scale hence it passed.
But Honda being Honda took the view it should have cats so that the scale it works to.

NoelWatson
28-04-2010, 09:22 AM
I have just had an MOT carried out by a Honda main dealer and my car failed on the exhaust emmissions.:( This is due to it being a 95 car which originally had cats fitted.
When i brought the car it had a DC sports system and aftermarket headers already fitted.The car also had a recent MOT so i decided to take it back to the same place for a second opion.It passed with flying colours:DGo figure.
My question is has anyone else had this problem and how did they resolve it.I would like to keep the exhaust system as it sounds great but i do not want the hasle every year when a MOT is due.Is fitting high flow cats an option with this exhaust and would that pass an MOT?
Any advice would be appreciated
Mark

Mine has hi flow cats and Taitec exhaust and it passed MOT at Chiswick (I also checked at a test centre beforehand)

Senninha
28-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Mine also passed with the high flow CATs at Honda dealer on Saturday :)