View Full Version : Gallardo or 550

AR
07-04-2010, 10:53 PM
So lets assume you wanted to changed the NSX for X, Y or Z reasons and you had shorlisted this two.

Say your budget was around 55K. Let say as well that you wanted to use it as a third car racking up between 3500 to 5000 miles per year including trips to the Continent.

For arguments sake we will say that both are manual gearbox versions. You do not intend to modify them further than an Exhaust, You do not want ultimate power or a trackday tool.

Which one of these two and why?

Senninha
07-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Hi Ary,

Without hesitation it would be the 550 from those two and without the handling pack as it reduces it mile eating ability IMO. The Gallardo is just a fat NSX and will give you the same issues you are looking to move away from.

Personally I would look at a DB9 or if you've got a thing for Italian motors going on then a Maserati could be worth consideration.

Whichever way you go it will be fun testing them :)

regards, Paul

simonprelude
08-04-2010, 07:01 AM
I'm thinking along the same lines at the moment, however it's between the 550 and the Murcielago or Diablo, the servicing of the Bulls just scare me still.

If you're looking at the Gallardo then try the R8 also, personally I hated it, then again I don't like the Gallardo either.

I've thought about a Maserati also or even an Aston, both 4 seat variants and I'm not convinced. The S2000 has shown me that I still prefer M/R or R/R, F/R just doesn't cut it. The only other real contender is a 911, which I'm still trying to convince myself is a mistake. However on the M3 / M4 this last week it seems to be take your pre 996 to work day in the abundance of examples around.

So............. to sum it up, 550 (575 prices aren't that bad either) all the way, however they're a little old now (as is the Diablo of course)

Papalazarou
08-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Simon,

just like you said I would. you will hate the 911 after the NSX. It won't feel special and the forums are pretty weak. The 996/7 also had a number of issues.
The problem is, that although there appears to be a lot of choice, there actually isn't.

Cheers,

James.

AR
08-04-2010, 09:26 AM
550 (575 prices aren't that bad either) all the way, however they're a little old now (as is the Diablo of course)

Simon,

The thing is I am pretty sure I would prefer a manual gearbox, and for the 575 they are pretty rare. Or the ones that are available are weird colour specs.

As for the R8 V8 performance wise it just does not cut it.

Cheers,

AR

AR
08-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Hi Ary,

Without hesitation it would be the 550 from those two and without the handling pack as it reduces it mile eating ability

regards, Paul

Cheers Paul, mainly thinking along the lines of a GT, something comfier than the NSX. I have tried the 3200 and the 4200 and found the steering not to my liking. I sure hope the 550 or 575 will not feel the same.

AR
08-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Simon,

just like you said I would. you will hate the 911 after the NSX.

Cheers,

James.

I would not mind a PS interpretation of a 1973 RS, but really looking at proper GT cars at the moment.

gumball
08-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Between those two I'd definitely have to go for the F430.

TheSebringOne
08-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Ary, the fact that you want a GT car then its the 550/575. This must be one of the great GT cars of all time and even though we think EVO mag is a bit hit & miss, they rate this car as one of the greatest. The lambo is simply a more updated version of the NSX with 4wd, more bhp & Audi parts, especially the early ones. Early Gallardo clutches cost a fortune to change £4-5K?, but replacements clutch last alot longer.

Rob_Fenn
09-04-2010, 08:46 AM
What is the Maserati that is a 4 seater but doesn't look it, Gran Turismo? I believe there is a new S version which rectifies the slight lack of power issue.

Either model has an amazing exhaust note, probably better than any current road going Ferrari with the loud switch engaged. I get to hear one most days as an owner lives closeby to my office.

I'm also opposite a Lamborghini dealership so get to witness a lot of them too, nice sounding but had a couple of Gallardo owning mates who found them a bit underwhelming. Didn't quite meet the dream car expectations.

We have a Vanquish S which is a fantastic tourer and is good value at the moment. It is a pre facelift though so the interior is a bit average compared to the latest Astons, and the gearbox is annoying. It really does eat the miles though!

Sometimes i like the 500, sometimes i don't. Can't help feel it looks a little bit like a Supra without the rear spoiler...

Sudesh
09-04-2010, 09:27 AM
My friend has a Granturismo S, its a stunning machine, proper 4 seater and sounds amazing, drowns out his Ferrari and at a couple of shows we did, pulled a bigger crowd too!

What is the Maserati that is a 4 seater but doesn't look it, Gran Turismo? I believe there is a new S version which rectifies the slight lack of power issue.

Either model has an amazing exhaust note, probably better than any current road going Ferrari with the loud switch engaged. I get to hear one most days as an owner lives closeby to my office.

I'm also opposite a Lamborghini dealership so get to witness a lot of them too, nice sounding but had a couple of Gallardo owning mates who found them a bit underwhelming. Didn't quite meet the dream car expectations.

We have a Vanquish S which is a fantastic tourer and is good value at the moment. It is a pre facelift though so the interior is a bit average compared to the latest Astons, and the gearbox is annoying. It really does eat the miles though!

Sometimes i like the 500, sometimes i don't. Can't help feel it looks a little bit like a Supra without the rear spoiler...

AR
09-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks a lot for all the input guys. I am start to lean more into the 550/575 direction. Now I only need work hard this summer anb sometime between here and September sell the NSX and start hunting.

Cheers,

AR

Senninha
09-04-2010, 10:27 AM
........sell the NSX .............

Cheers,

AR

Someone is going to get a well sorted NSX ... shame you cant be at Japfest as you would have a great audience of potential buyers.

Anyway you can get the NSX there even if you're working elsewhere Ary?

Just a thought.

regards, Paul

simonprelude
09-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Anyway you can get the NSX there even if you're working elsewhere

Give us a shout, I'll pick it up ;)

Senninha
09-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Give us a shout, I'll pick it up ;)

Where have you been ... that took you over 3 hours to follow up ... :)

Senninha
09-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Back on topic.......

http://cdn.images.pistonheads.com/aimg/1498/1498063-1.jpg (http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/largepic.asp?i=1498063&noPics=5&make=BMW&model=M6&imgsrv=1&current=2)

What about one of these?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1498063.htm

Incredible value now, will eat the miles and probably a lot less tempremental and costly to own?

Regards,

Paul

AR
09-04-2010, 07:39 PM
I look at them too paul, but I have an itch to scratch. :)

NoelWatson
09-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Back on topic.......

http://cdn.images.pistonheads.com/aimg/1498/1498063-1.jpg (http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/largepic.asp?i=1498063&noPics=5&make=BMW&model=M6&imgsrv=1&current=2)

What about one of these?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1498063.htm

Incredible value now, will eat the miles and probably a lot less tempremental and costly to own?

Regards,

Paul

I reckon they will cost a bomb to run, especially out of warranty

Senninha
09-04-2010, 09:09 PM
I reckon they will cost a bomb to run, especially out of warranty

There speaks the man who should have bought the 335d not the i ...

NoelWatson
10-04-2010, 08:51 AM
There speaks the man who should have bought the 335d not the i ...

Our friends had a 335d - turbos went when it was six weeks out of warranty. Paul's time will come!!

Rob_Fenn
10-04-2010, 11:45 AM
BMW extended warranty is more reasonable these days though, you can pay monthly too. My second year with an M3 CSL was a lot cheaper.

The M6 is a good shout, bit ugly though, hence the price i guess! However, do a search on YouTube for one with a Kreissieg or similar and you may be swung away from a Ferrari (the 550 sounds very underwhelming as standard!).

AR
10-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Rob,

I got my own design for a 550/575. They are extremelly quiet by my NSX standards. :)

NSX 2000
10-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Our friends had a 335d - turbos went when it was six weeks out of warranty. Paul's time will come!!

No it won't as we will sell it before then! Plus sometimes it helps if you drive the car, 22k miles and it's not even a year old yet!

NSX 2000
10-04-2010, 09:15 PM
So lets assume you wanted to changed the NSX for X, Y or Z reasons and you had shorlisted this two.

Say your budget was around 55K. Let say as well that you wanted to use it as a third car racking up between 3500 to 5000 miles per year including trips to the Continent.

For arguments sake we will say that both are manual gearbox versions. You do not intend to modify them further than an Exhaust, You do not want ultimate power or a trackday tool.

Which one of these two and why?

I would go for the 550, along with 575 it's the only Ferrari I like. But I think you would end up doing this:-

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/50158/ferrari_550lm.html

So instead I would recommend this as you would be less inclined to mod it

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1628460.htm

Lankstarr
11-04-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm thinking orange gallardo every day of the week... what have you guys got against gallardos... are you all too old for them?

I thought Maseratis were meant to be shocking and certainly they don't get the blood pumping like a Fez or bull... unless you're old and want to be careful how fast the blood pumps;)

Surprised to see all of the gallardo haters, I thought it would be well ranked above the 550.

L*

Senninha
11-04-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm thinking orange gallardo every day of the week... what have you guys got against gallardos... are you all too old for them?

Surprised to see all of the gallardo haters, I thought it would be well ranked above the 550.

L*

Not sure about the Orange, but make it a Supperlaggaro just to get hold of that interior ....

The trouble with it is that I just dont see the performance advantage is worth the ££ over a well sorted NSX .... oh, it also looks like it needs to go on a diet next to an NSX. I also see 2 or 3 everyday so they are no longer a rare sight.

regards, Paul

Lankstarr
11-04-2010, 09:43 PM
If it was all about performance we'd all be driving GTRs!

I think a well sorted Gallardo would show up a well sorted NSX, even yours mate:laugh: useable power, on the back roads, in the real world...blah blah blah:rolleyes:

Superlegerras are so awesome... but so still over £100k!

L*

Senninha
11-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Dont get me wrong, I'm not pretending it wont beat mine, its just the margin by which it does ot that doesn;t for me justify the investment.

And at over £100k I wont be owning a Superlegerras anytime soon either. Guess I'll just have to create my own interior ....

regards,

markc
13-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Neither the 550 or Gallardo floats my boat but if forced to chose I'd go 550. I've driven one and it felt BIG and "meaty". Steering, clutch, throttle, gearshift are all on the heavy side.

I'n my case very probably :) Actually Lambo owners are traditionally of the older generation, complete with chest wig, heavy gold chain and East european "niece" in tow.

I'm not a fan of the Gallardo styling and have an unreasonable dislike of V10 engines (they moan). On the plus side they are fairly compact by modern supercar standards and you gotta love the Orange :) [/QUOTE]

I thought Maseratis were meant to be shocking and certainly they don't get the blood pumping like a Fez or bull... unless you're old and want to be careful how fast the blood pumps;)

Maserati seem to be hitting the right formula of late. The shoddy old product has given way to stylish, fairly discrete and capable kit. They're not a full on sports/super car though, more of an Aston competitor. I'd go for the Masser (GT) over the Aston (DB9) to avoid the Bond wannabe connotations. They're 2 a penny here in Miami though!

If I had that sort of money I'd be spending it on a 997 GT3 or R8 (V8).

Cheers

Mark