PDA

View Full Version : My first MoT failure!

mutley
31-03-2010, 06:02 PM
HI all,

Well I put the car in for MoT today, only concern I could see was my now de-cat'd exhaust.
However, the exhaust passed with flying colours (was told as it's a 1992, then cat's aren't an issue), but the fail on the car was front lower ball joint and an upper wishbone bush (trying to locate the correct one in the manual). Both of these on the drivers side.

So fingers crossed I can source these parts "easily" and get back on the road.

Any ideas for parts guys?
Jim

A.S. Motorsport
31-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Luckily those parts aren't super expensive although the upper bush might be.

Is this the first time ever the car failed mot?

mutley
31-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Luckily those parts aren't super expensive although the upper bush might be.

Is this the first time ever the car failed mot?

I was the first failure teh car has had in my years of ownership. I hope to have a closer look at the parts needed tomorow and hopefully can get them soon.

Cheers
Jim

AR
31-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Well I hope you get it sorted soon Jim.

mutley
31-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Cheers Ary,

Well at least it answered my question about your old exhaust!!

Will be going to HUK tomorrow as I need these 2 parts pretty sharpish and I can't think of anyone else that would have them.

Jim

NSXGB
31-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Will be going to HUK tomorrow as I need these 2 parts pretty sharpish and I can't think of anyone else that would have them.

Make sure you sit down....

Does this help you?

http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/online/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=8&productID=5&yearID=13&doorID=2&gradeID=93&areaID=1&transmissionID=4&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=6&idAndImageID=1323%20223427&isBigPicture=True

nigel
31-03-2010, 08:01 PM
James,
I know it's been a long time, Kevin might know, maybe Dirk has some parts left from before when he was active.
He did have a pile of front end forks and bits.?
Maybe Detlef at ProCar has them as well.
Has to be cheaper than HUK.
Can't hurt to make inquiries.

Cheers
nigel

Kaz-kzukNA1
31-03-2010, 08:56 PM
HI all,
.... but the fail on the car was front lower ball joint and an upper wishbone bush (trying to locate the correct one in the manual). Both of these on the drivers side......

Hi, Jim. If it is the front lower ball joint and the bush for the upper wishbone/A-arm/Control arm, then I'm afraid it's not going to be cheap...

The front lower ball joint is located on the knuckle which is about GBP800+VAT from HUK.
The bush (not the upper ball joint at the knuckle, nor the ball joint connection to the compliance pivot) for the upper A-arm is located on the cross bracket which is about GBP830+VAT....

Even if you managed to source the used parts, I'm afraid you will be spending long hours replacing them even at your nice facility... I don't want to deal with the upper/lower ball joint on the knuckle...

I know an emergency fix at least for the lower ball joint but I'll PM you on this as it is only for emergency case.

Regards,
Kaz

mutley
31-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Hi KAZ,

I have answered your PM, but done that before reading this post.

JEEEEEEEZ if that is the price then I may be off the road for a while, unless I can source from somewhere.!

Jim

NSXGB
31-03-2010, 09:30 PM
There is a guy on ebay selling these parts second hand but I think he wants top dollar for them (and who knows if there is play in them). Might be better biting the bullet and getting new from the USA. :cantlook:

mutley
31-03-2010, 09:39 PM
There is a guy on ebay selling these parts second hand but I think he wants top dollar for them (and who knows if there is play in them). Might be better biting the bullet and getting new from the USA. :cantlook:

Yup, that seems to be the sensible option.

Jim

AR
31-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Perhaps in the meantime find a less savvy tester???

Silver Surfer
31-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Try NSX-Care...http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=12

Email him and see what he has for offer.

SS

AR
31-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Amo had some bits for sale IIRC.

A.S. Motorsport
31-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Anyway i might have those parts in stock.

mutley
01-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Anyway i might have those parts in stock.

later this afternoon, I will get teh car up on ramps, wheel off and take photos of what was pointed out to me as the failing parts.

If you have them in stock, what price?

Jim

A.S. Motorsport
01-04-2010, 10:39 AM
later this afternoon, I will get teh car up on ramps, wheel off and take photos of what was pointed out to me as the failing parts.

If you have them in stock, what price?

Jim
sent you the prices

here is a diagram

http://nsxpartsdb.com/img/parts/13SL00_009_8.png

mutley
01-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi all,

Here are the offending parts I need:

NSXGB
01-04-2010, 09:44 PM
I presume you'd need part 12 here too:

http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/online/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=8&productID=5&yearID=13&doorID=2&gradeID=93&areaID=1&transmissionID=4&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=8&idAndImageID=1359%20223463&isBigPicture=True

I don't think the bushes are available separately.

Are you 100% sure there is play in both?

mutley
02-04-2010, 09:56 PM
I presume you'd need part 12 here too:

http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/online/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=8&productID=5&yearID=13&doorID=2&gradeID=93&areaID=1&transmissionID=4&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=8&idAndImageID=1359%20223463&isBigPicture=True

I don't think the bushes are available separately.

Are you 100% sure there is play in both?

Yeah it looks like that part ( well number 8 as it's te right hand side).

Yes there is play in both on that side. I haven't managed to get any closer to HUK as I'm way up north and the new snow isn't helping!

Cheers
Jim