gumball
27-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Yes an old clip, but always makes me smile. :bigsmile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU4xD7-SUa4&feature=related

jaytip
27-03-2010, 12:34 PM
You do know that it is the S-Zero though,and not a standard NSX,don't you?

gumball
27-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Still 100hp down on the Ferrari.

Silver Surfer
27-03-2010, 03:31 PM
In a straight line...Is there much difference between the S-Zero and standard NSX?

SS

gumball
27-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Theoretically the standard one might be a match due to softer suspension allowing increased rearward weight transfer.

DamianW
27-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Still 100hp down on the Ferrari.

Yeah, that's accurate Honda horses versus complete-fabrication Italian horses though.

NoelWatson
27-03-2010, 07:01 PM

At how biased the Japanese are?

gumball
28-03-2010, 11:23 AM

As above, the 355 makes nowhere near the power that Ferrari say, and the NSX generally makes more, added to that is the 355 being generally rubbish :bigsmile:

gumball
31-03-2010, 09:10 AM

And how much better the 360 is,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn20TOXwNco&NR=1

markc
31-03-2010, 11:56 AM
As above, the 355 makes nowhere near the power that Ferrari say, and the NSX generally makes more, added to that is the 355 being generally rubbish :bigsmile:

Harsh. They might not make all 380hp that Ferrari claimed but in reality they are faster than any standard NSX. IMO they are still the best looking mid engined Ferrari so far :)

And how much better the 360 is,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn20TOXwNco&NR=1

Differant car, differant driver, differant day loooots of variables. Look at the times, the Blue Type S records a quicker time than the theoretically faster IOP S Zero.

No question the 360 is a "better" car than the 355 but it's regarded by many Ferraristi as a bit of a duffer in the usual good (430, 355, 328) then bad (360, 348, 308) Ferrari cycle.

Cheers

Mark

gumball
31-03-2010, 12:35 PM
The 355 looks a bit bland to me, but that's just taste, the general "saggyness" of them is the worst bit. For me (and know I'm in the minority) I prefer the look of the 360 as well as it being a better car(even though the interiors on those don't age well either, thats why Honda went with with plastic)
Ask Flemke over on PH which is better NSX or 355. ;)

markc
31-03-2010, 01:55 PM
The 355 looks a bit bland to me, but that's just taste, the general "saggyness" of them is the worst bit. For me (and know I'm in the minority) I prefer the look of the 360 as well as it being a better car(even though the interiors on those don't age well either, thats why Honda went with with plastic)
Ask Flemke over on PH which is better NSX or 355. ;)

Ahh, I never said the 355 was better than the NSX... but it is faster, at least in a straight line.

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no desire to own a Ferrari but that's more from the image thing, and the d*ckheads that drive them, rather the the cars themselves.

I know that Mr Flemke has had some bad experiences with Ferrari build quality and reliability and I can't speak from personal experience like he can. I'm more of Porsche fan as he is but still have a problem with the image, especially since they started making SUVs and supersaloons.

Cheers

Mark

AR
31-03-2010, 02:49 PM
I find it annoying when they stay stuck in first or second gear, specially if on a standard exhaust.

As for the 355 it is not faster in a staright line than a 1210 KG 296 BHP NSX.

At least not to 70 MPH :)

For me Ferrari = V12

markc
31-03-2010, 05:32 PM
As for the 355 it is not faster in a staright line than a 1210 KG 296 BHP NSX.

You mean a modified NSX then. Neither is a 1210Kg 296hp NSX as fast as a 1250Kg 360hp F355... which is probably easier to achieve. Gotta compare apples with apples :)

Cheers

Mark

AR
31-03-2010, 06:22 PM
I am still to find out how it behaves against a 377 BHP 1210 kg nsx lol.

Rob_Fenn
10-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Personally love the 355. For me it's quite a tempting purchase as i think prices will sky rocket as it is the last of the old school.

NSX 2000
10-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Personally love the 355. For me it's quite a tempting purchase as i think prices will sky rocket as it is the last of the old school.

I can see where your coming from, but with all the press reports in the last decade slating it, I think this will stick, a bit like the Porche 996, again due to bad press I don't think this will ever be a sort after 911.

Just my opinion of course.

havoc
10-04-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm with Rob on the 355...I think it'll prove a better investment than the NSX!

Why?
- It's a 'pretty' Ferrari (IMHO the 360 = 996 (i.e. arguably a better car but aesthetically challenging and 'lost' some character in the transition) and the 355 = 993)

- It's in the right place in the "bad/good/bad/good" 8-pot lineage (288 = good, 308 = OK, 328 = good, 348 = dire, 355 = good, 360 = maligned but actually rather good, 430 = very good (but too techno-fest for me))

- It's at the right age...people will be buying them now because of what they ARE, not because it's a fashionable machine nor 'just' because it's a Ferrari.

Is it nearly 2x the car the NSX is (looking at prices)? No...I'm not convinced it's any better an overall package than the NSX - it's a little better looking, it's a little quicker and it sounds better. But dynamically it's not supposed to be any better, ergonomically it's not, and in terms of build, of QC, and of reliability it's way behind. That said, all of those points reinforce my argument about it being a better investment...people WANT something that's sexy, that's quick and that sounds the part...

TheSebringOne
10-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Which is the better looking Fezza is all down to personal choice. The 355 are holding their money really well as its the last of the old school, the 360 is the first Alu Fezza (10 years after our P & J!) and started the modern Fezza look/design. I personally like some aspects of both and the sound is something special in both.

gumball
11-04-2010, 11:02 AM
http://pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=63&t=833730&mid=46477&nmt=Any

JQD84983
11-04-2010, 12:37 PM

A few reasons I think this will not be the case:

1. There are plenty of these cars around so they are not that rare (especially compared to the NSX)

2. Running costs are high and reliability a problem. (an ex owner at silverstone last year could not believe the cam belt life of the NSX v's the Ferrari)

3. While good in its day it has been eclipsed successively by 360, 430 and now 458 so there are newer, better alternatives.

Don't get me wrong I don't think you will lose a fortune but I don't expect values to Sky rocket.

markc
12-04-2010, 03:21 AM
I'm with Rob on the 355...I think it'll prove a better investment than the NSX!

Why?
- It's a 'pretty' Ferrari (IMHO the 360 = 996 (i.e. arguably a better car but aesthetically challenging and 'lost' some character in the transition) and the 355 = 993)

- It's in the right place in the "bad/good/bad/good" 8-pot lineage (288 = good, 308 = OK, 328 = good, 348 = dire, 355 = good, 360 = maligned but actually rather good, 430 = very good (but too techno-fest for me))

- It's at the right age...people will be buying them now because of what they ARE, not because it's a fashionable machine nor 'just' because it's a Ferrari.

Is it nearly 2x the car the NSX is (looking at prices)? No...I'm not convinced it's any better an overall package than the NSX - it's a little better looking, it's a little quicker and it sounds better. But dynamically it's not supposed to be any better, ergonomically it's not, and in terms of build, of QC, and of reliability it's way behind. That said, all of those points reinforce my argument about it being a better investment...people WANT something that's sexy, that's quick and that sounds the part...

I agree with pretty much everything you said there :)

I can see where your coming from, but with all the press reports in the last decade slating it, I think this will stick, a bit like the Porche 996, again due to bad press I don't think this will ever be a sort after 911.

Just my opinion of course.

Are you sure you're talking about the F355? the 348 got a lot of stick but the 355 solved most of those issues and was lauded by the motoring press.

http://pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=63&t=833730&mid=46477&nmt=Any

Very probably a flat battery due to lack of use... how many NSXs suffer a similar fate?

A few reasons I think this will not be the case:

1. There are plenty of these cars around so they are not that rare (especially compared to the NSX)

Ferrari built about 18,000 F355's so they're equally as rare as NSXs.

2. Running costs are high and reliability a problem. (an ex owner at silverstone last year could not believe the cam belt life of the NSX v's the Ferrari)

No question an F355 will cost more to run than an NSX but realistically neither is a full on daily driver so costs are manageable.

3. While good in its day it has been eclipsed successively by 360, 430 and now 458 so there are newer, better alternatives.

If only the NSX had evolved in a similar way :(

Don't get me wrong I don't think you will lose a fortune but I don't expect values to Sky rocket.

I think a well bought F355 will be a very solid investment... as will an well bought NSX :)

Cheers

Mark

Silver Surfer
12-04-2010, 07:12 AM
Ferrari built about 18,000 F355's so they're equally as rare as NSXs.

Cheers

Mark

There must be more F355s in the UK than there are NSXs ....as the F355s are the 2nd most available Ferraris for sale on PH! So not so rare in the UK.

SS

NSX 2000
12-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Are you sure you're talking about the F355? the 348 got a lot of stick but the 355 solved most of those issues and was lauded by the motoring press.
Cheers

Mark

At launch it was praised as compared to the 348 it was beauty and the beast, but since then it has been by far eclipsed by the 360, 430 and now 458. So when it is reviewed now people see it as a patched up 348.

Paul

NoelWatson
12-04-2010, 10:28 AM
At launch it was praised as compared to the 348 it was beauty and the beast, but since then it has been by far eclipsed by the 360, 430 and now 458. So when it is reviewed now people see it as a patched up 348.

Paul

Which people? I desire (from afar) the 355 more than the 360/430.

jaytip
12-04-2010, 11:32 AM
No question an F355 will cost more to run than an NSX but realistically neither is a full on daily driver so costs are manageable.

Mark

Sorry i disagree.I had my first NSX for 2.5 years and it was my only car.It was driven come sun,rain or snow.It can definately be used as a daily driver.
Try that in a Ferrari and the costs(and depreciation)would be huge.

NSX 2000
12-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Which people? I desire (from afar) the 355 more than the 360/430.

The motoring press, I've seen these comments on more than one occasion, but could be as one hack has said it, they all say it!

NoelWatson
12-04-2010, 01:58 PM
The motoring press, I've seen these comments on more than one occasion, but could be as one hack has said it, they all say it!

I can't recall seeing anything in Autocar or EVO. Perhaps you need to cancel your subscription to What Car?

Papalazarou
12-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Cracking B pillars!!

I don't mean that in a good way.

Cheers,

James.

JQD84983
12-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Sorry i disagree.I had my first NSX for 2.5 years and it was my only car.It was driven come sun,rain or snow.It can definately be used as a daily driver.

I agree whole heartedly. Any Ferrari with anything approaching average mileage is seen to be worth a lot less.

The last I knew was a Winter put away service was North of a Grand.

markc
13-04-2010, 03:34 AM
There must be more F355s in the UK than there are NSXs ...

Very probably. The F355 cost about £84K new in 1994 while the NSX cost about £65K, most people in the UK with that kind of money were happier to spend it on a Ferrari so a higher proportion of the 18,000 made probably came here.

I didn't say it couldn't be used as a daily driver but these days (now that most NSX's are more than 12 yrs old) high performance cars of this age are unlikely to be used as true daily drivers. The F355 can be considered affordable when used in as a second or occasional car.

Check the comment regarding parts prices here... http://www.compucars.co.uk/car-reviews/ferrari/review/?f355

The 355 is based on the 348 but is much more than a facelift. Read the performance comparison here... http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTestsDesign/Ferrari-F355-Berlinetta/200080/

Sure it's been surpassed by subsequent models but you'd expect that wouldn't you. As I said, IF ONLY the NSX had as much development :(

The F355 is about the only modern'ish Ferrari I'd want to own.

Cheers

Mark

NoelWatson
13-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Very probably. The F355 cost about £84K new in 1994 while the NSX cost about £65K, most people in the UK with that kind of money were happier to spend it on a Ferrari so a higher proportion of the 18,000 made probably came here.

I didn't say it couldn't be used as a daily driver but these days (now that most NSX's are more than 12 yrs old) high performance cars of this age are unlikely to be used as true daily drivers. The F355 can be considered affordable when used in as a second or occasional car.

Check the comment regarding parts prices here... http://www.compucars.co.uk/car-reviews/ferrari/review/?f355

The 355 is based on the 348 but is much more than a facelift. Read the performance comparison here... http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTestsDesign/Ferrari-F355-Berlinetta/200080/

Sure it's been surpassed by subsequent models but you'd expect that wouldn't you. As I said, IF ONLY the NSX had as much development :(

The F355 is about the only modern'ish Ferrari I'd want to own.

Cheers

Mark

"To get a grasp of the F355’s shattering pace you need to look beyond the realms of ‘ordinary’ supercars like the 911 and NSX"

Unless the NSX in question is the 2002 press car, that managed to cover the standing km in 22.8 seconds at 145mph, and quarter in 13 seconds at 111mph. I would love to know where that car went.

gumball
13-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Checking the comparison on Autotrader, now all is clear, ;)

How fast
______________FERRARI F355_________ HONDA NSX
0 to 62mph____ 4.7 seconds___________7.5 seconds
Top Speed_____ 183 mph______________162 mph
Engine power___ 380 bhp______________ 256 bhp

m666 edd
13-04-2010, 08:08 PM
For info:

1139 355's vs 389 NSX's were MOT'd in 2007 according to the dvla data.

JQD84983
13-04-2010, 08:19 PM
For info:

1139 355's vs 389 NSX's were MOT'd in 2007 according to the dvla data.

3:1 Ratio then and a shorter production life than our beloved.

jaffaz32
19-08-2010, 09:42 AM
I can Confirm that a NSX NA1 is faster than a Ferrari 355 F1.

Yes that is correct the F1 spec also :D

To be fair i was in his slip stream, but i had a passenger who isnt the lightest of passenger either.

Even had to back off the throttle.

One thing i will say is that the sound of the Ferrari won hands down!

markc
19-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I can Confirm that a NSX NA1 is faster than a Ferrari 355 F1.

Sorry Jaffaz32, you're wrong. Either the F355 in question was sick or the driver wasn't completely on it.

There's not a huge amount in it but a heathly F355 will slowly pull away from any standard NSX short of an NA2 NSX-R.

Cheers

Mark

TheSebringOne
19-08-2010, 09:42 PM
I agree with Mark, most car magazines at the time of the release of the 355 puts the 0-60 times at 4.7. Thats quicker than a standard NA1 and NA2.

markc
20-08-2010, 10:10 AM
One particular personal comparison stands out for me.

We (myself, NSX2000, Lankstar, Kevin, Mo?) were at an unofficial NSX track day at Bedford Autodrome a couple of years ago. Also there was an F355 Spider.

A couple of points to clarify. Allegedly the F355 Spider weighs the same as the GTB/GTS models but was running hood down. Bare in mind that my car is a 1) an NA2 and 2) firmer and a bit lighter than a UK spec NSX.

Late in the day I went out on track and toward the end of my 1st lap the F355 started to close up on me. I was almost up to full temperature/speed so I didn't immediately let him past but after a couple of corners it was clear that he was "on it" so I let him through and proceeded to follow. We ran nose to tail for the next 15mins :)

It was interesting to compare the relative performance of our cars. The F355 definitely had a small advantage out of the slower corners pulling several meters on me, while I seemed to close toward the end of 3rd and into 4th gear sections. I put the latter down to his inferior aerodynamics running hood down.

Eventually he pulled into the pits while I ran another couple of laps before coming in. I then bumped into Ferrari man while perusing the official photographers shots from the day. Ferrari man picked me out, "Ahh you were the guy in the orange NSX... nothing in it was there", we chatted.

Turns out that we we're both pretty old hands at track days and agreed that our skill level, or lack of it, was similar. Both cars were running normal road tyres and standard factory spec except for better brake pads (both cars) and in my case a better exhaust. We also agreed that neither of us could run maximum attack under braking for more that a lap or so, so we were at maybe 90% in the braking areas. So the car comparison was fair.

It's actually quite rare to find almost standard F355 Ferrari's being driven at or near their maximum at track days. Many are baby'd or their owner/drivers too new to track days to go quickly OR are dedicated track cars, running big brakes and sticky tyres, trailered to the track, these cars are FAST.

There really was soo little in it that you could say the cars were dead even :)

Cheers

Mark

havoc
20-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Useful Mark, thanks.

I can believe a 3.2 is 'within a fag paper' of a 355 in overall performance - I've read a few sources which suggest that the "380bhp" tends to be a little optimistic.

Oh, and just to clarify for any others who may not have been on-track (apologies if teaching anyone to suck eggs), the "out of slow corners" bit would apply even NSX vs NSX, due to when the respective cars can start accelerating.

markc
20-08-2010, 11:55 AM
... the "out of slow corners" bit would apply even NSX vs NSX, due to when the respective cars can start accelerating.

That is true but it was a bit more than just that.

I wasn't wheelspinning so I don't think it was down to traction, more likely the extra torque, in theory a peak of 268ft/lb vs 224ft/lb, really was there in the mid range and made the difference.

Even slow corners on circuit rarely mean you have less than 3-4K revs dialled up when you get on the gas, so it's clean mid range pick up you need and the F355 seemed to have a bit more of this than my car.

For comparative purposes, at the same event I could not keep up with a couple of M3 CSL's running sticky Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tyres.

Cheers

Mark

gumball
20-08-2010, 11:56 AM
the "out of slow corners" bit would apply even NSX vs NSX, due to when the respective cars can start accelerating.

The yoyo effect :nod:

Ewan
21-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Interesting comparison... On the way to a Pistonheads Hoon early one morning, I came upon a 355 at the lights on the M4 J8/9 roundabout, pointing north up the A404M. I pulled alongside and he had a passenger, I was solo.

At the lights went green, I paused and let him get a nose ahead and we both nailed it to (I think) well into 5th gear, when I backed out ... by this time a good two car lengths behind. His car wasn't standard - had a Capristo or similar exhaust (loud and raspy) and quite likely some other mods that could release a few more ponies... but it was definitely quicker.

gumball
21-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Also as fast as a Countach lp500. :D

70ish rolling start, probably due to their brick like aero