PDA

View Full Version : Curling

AR
20-03-2010, 09:52 PM
What is the point of curling as a sport?

Was browsing and just stopped on Eurosport HD Live what a load of cobblers.

gumball
20-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Each to their own. Same could be said for darts, snooker, bowling or throwing stuff.

AR
20-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Each to their own. Same could be said for darts, snooker, bowling or throwing stuff.

I supoposed you are right but can it really compare with say Rugby or Football?

Can two regular guys go curling on the weekend?

Sudesh
20-03-2010, 10:18 PM
No idea on that sport but love Jai-Alai. :)

AR
20-03-2010, 10:39 PM

Jai-Alai is dynamic and fast pace, the balls reach really high speed, as opposed to curling...

Sudesh
20-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Yeah great sport, I play that and squash.

Jai-Alai is dynamic and fast pace, the balls reach really high speed, as opposed to curling...

TheSebringOne
21-03-2010, 01:44 AM
I agree with Ary, but its not a main stream sport, so most people will not be interested or will follow it. Sports that are more main stream will have a massive following like footy & F1 etc. Snooker and darts I quite enjoy, especially the atmosphere that the crowd creates.

NSXGB
21-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Yeah, curling seems a bit lame but I think that about football too :eek:.
Why men want to watch 22 other men running around in their shorts, I just can't fathom...

Now, ladies volleyball, there's a sport...

While we're on the subject - table tennis as an Olympic sport??? You might as well have table football as well if you allow Ping Pong in the Olympics...

simonprelude
21-03-2010, 09:33 AM
While we're on the subject - table tennis as an Olympic sport??? You might as well have table football as well if you allow Ping Pong in the Olympics...

Have you watched some of the Chinese / Korean players recently.........

Now if that isn't a skilled, fast reacting (and even energetic) sport then you've got the wrong idea.

Curling I can sort of agree with the pointlessness, it's like flat green bowling as against crown green bowling.

TheSebringOne
21-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Table tennis is not that bad, when you see some of the top & back spins, its mind blowing! Also when the still get the ball back onto the table from the perimeter of the playing area/crowd!

gumball
21-03-2010, 04:58 PM

Didn't Tron play that?

NoelWatson
21-03-2010, 05:36 PM
What is the point of curling as a sport?

Was browsing and just stopped on Eurosport HD Live what a load of cobblers.

I was doing some Olympic level curling this morning

NSXGB
21-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Have you watched some of the Chinese / Korean players recently.........

Now if that isn't a skilled, fast reacting (and even energetic) sport then you've got the wrong idea.

Curling I can sort of agree with the pointlessness, it's like flat green bowling as against crown green bowling.

Table tennis is not that bad, when you see some of the top & back spins, its mind blowing! Also when the still get the ball back onto the table from the perimeter of the playing area/crowd!

Nah, still not convinced...lots of things can be skillful, fast, energetic etc. does not mean it should be allowed...especially as an Olympic sport... IMHO. :)

Sudesh
21-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Similar I guess lol

Didn't Tron play that?

NSX 2000
21-03-2010, 10:56 PM
I was doing some Olympic level curling this morning

Lets guess on a Wii?

Papalazarou
22-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Ary, not sure why you picked on Curling when there are much worse culprits. The absolutely most pointless waste of life would have to be golf.

Cheers,

James.

AR
22-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Ary, not sure why you picked on Curling when there are much worse culprits. The absolutely most pointless waste of life would have to be golf.

Cheers,

James.

James it just happened to be on the Tele at the time. :)

No a fan of Golf either, maybe when I am old, but not for me, once was enough. I did enjoy the clubhouse. lol

Cheers,

Ary

markc
22-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Lets guess on a Wii?

Now that (sport on the Wii) takes pointless sports to a whole new level :)

Cheers

Mark

Hagasan
22-03-2010, 06:04 PM

Cheers,

James.

I don't know this all seems to be anti-Jock;) Oh well, what else did we have up North that never done anyone any good? Erm North Sea oil....

Lankstarr
22-03-2010, 06:39 PM
I thought u were going to be plugging curling when I saw this thread. I was fully prepared to rip it out of you so bad I tore you a new a hole!

How about an NSXCB curling day... I'll bring my wife's tongs!

L*

AR
22-03-2010, 06:56 PM
I thought u were going to be plugging curling when I saw this thread. I was fully prepared to rip it out of you so bad I tore you a new a hole!

How about an NSXCB curling day... I'll bring my wife's tongs!

L*

LOL The only curling I do mate is barbell curls!

jaytip
22-03-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't know this all seems to be anti-Jock;) Oh well, what else did we have up North that never done anyone any good? Erm North Sea oil....
And oh,how i wish i could get a job out there helping to extract it :(

Lankstarr
22-03-2010, 10:45 PM
LOL The only curling I do mate is barbell curls!

Now all of your curly locks have fallen out it's all you can do lol

Hairy_Potr
23-03-2010, 01:47 AM

Cheers,

James.

Not a St. Andrews fan, eh?

I enjoy the sport but will readily admit that I'm a total duffer. I'm not a Tiger, and I'm not a Cheetah, either! :laugh: