PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy an auto-box NSX?

Alex_G
27-03-2004, 02:57 PM
I have been offered a red 1996 UK-car NSX Auto by a friend. It has approx 60k mileage and has had it's belts changed and comes with fHsh. It's up for sale as he never has a chance to use it.

I'm intending on using it as my daily-driver although in honesty my daily commute is about 3mins and it's really a car for weekends and trips.

The car should be available for a good price (I'm hoping £20k)

I'm a bit wary about buying the auto version as I don't want to buy something that will be unsellable later.

Am I doing the right thing??? And should I be buying an NSX anyway??

I don't have unlimited funds and the other option is a Lotus Elise of which I have already had one.

I look forward to your thoughts and suggestions and hope that I join the fold very soon.

Alex

Mike_L
27-03-2004, 04:03 PM
I have an auto - It's an enigma really in many ways
They are much rarer for a car that is rare anyhow yet they tend to come up for sale more often than a 'good' manual.

Most of the folks in this owner group strongly recommend the manual although there are a few like me that have the auto for one reason or another.

In terms of outright performance, in particular straight line speed then it is noticibly slower. (still a very quick car though, I outran an M3 EVO at goodwood)

The auto comes with power steering the early manuals did not, which again the purists prefer. The overall handling for both is exceptional.

They are both equally very reliable, the auto usually fetches a couple of thousand less than the manual but if you buy for the right price up front then resale should not be an issue.

The most important thing is make sure it has a FHSH (which you have already said that it has)

The NSX is a comfortable car that I ran as my daily driver for 6 months, until my mileage requirements increased and I went fot the daily runabout option keeping the NSX for w/end use.

If something does need replacing then it is always available at a limited number of Honda dealers but at a PRICE. Having it as a 2nd car does give me some significantly cheaper options eg by getting parts shipped in from the states. I have just replaced front discs and pads myself at £130, (I guess £500 at the main dealer)

On the auto front again - The most common reply I have seen is as a question - Can you live with an Auto sports car?

Have a look at John's manual available in the for sale section. Older but IMHO better value for money. Condition and history is far more important than age for these cars.

john
27-03-2004, 11:06 PM
hi Alex
thought you might find the following of interest
NSX For sale

• 1992 red RHD, UK car manual
• 2 owners (I am the second)
• MOT to August 2004
• 31,152 miles from new (can be verified)
• cherished registration reads one letter, one number then NSX
• Honda alarm and imobiliser
• Both sets of keys are original
• Tool kit in boot has never been used
• Full Honda NSX centre service history, serviced only by Tachbrook Park Honda until 2001, serviced by Two Mills Honda NSX centre from 2001 to 2003
• 2002 - full cam belt service
• every MOT certificate
• every tax disc since new
• all invoices for all servicing, parts and tyres
• Bridgestone SO2s front and rear (rear tyres new Aug 2003, front tyres new Jan 2004)
• all four brake disks are in good condition
• all brake pads changed Sept 2002
• only genuine Honda NSX replacement parts have been used (except exhaust - see below)
• original purchase invoice
• all original factory information stickers still intact and perfect
• un-marked carpets and upholstery
• this car is not only in extremely good condition it can only be described as EXCEPTIONAL
• the car has never had accident damage and does not have any dents
• high quality thick cotton fitted cover - in red (with Honda logo)
• stainless steel TUBI four exit exhaust system and Comptech stainless steel cat pipes which sound FANTASTIC. Passes MOT without cats in
• Original exhaust and cats have been kept and are in very good condition

I purchased the vehicle May 2002, the first owner purchased the car new, registering it June 1992. The previous owner kept this car in a de-humidified garage and since owning it I have kept it in a centrally heated garage and have not taken it out in the rain.

I cannot stress enough how exceptional the condition of this car is. If this has tempted you and you have £22,500 to spend on probably the best early NSX around in this country then email me at

woodystmartins@aol.com

or telephone me on 01905 821510 (office hours) or mobile 07919 053631 (anytime)

Please only contact me if you are a serious buyer

Regards - John

Alex_G
28-03-2004, 10:34 AM
sounds like a great car especially with the tubi exhaust... I'm a big rari fan and i know full well the difference those exhausts make (but does it spit flames with the cats off?)

how does the car pass MOT with the cats off???

i presume that the car has the older wheels? i know it's a minor point, but i really love the look of the newer wheels especially as if the car is kept mint, it can look just like a nearly new example. (vain i know!)

my other problem is the money,,, i'll be looking to spend £20k max. i know that money shouldn't be the biggest constraint when buying a "supercar" but i will be using a loan to buy the car and by keeping it at £20k i will then have monthly capital left over to fix any eventualities. i don't want to buy something only for it to sit in a garage for months whilst i try to save up enough to fix it!

john
28-03-2004, 02:20 PM
Hi Alex

my car definately does not spit flames with cats removed. as my car predates the more stringent emission regulations it passes the MOT with no problems as last time I took the car for MOT it passed as it is ie with cats removed and TUBI exhaust.

My car has the original wheels.

As for expenditure my car currently wants for nothing, as detailed in my description the car really is in exceptional condition and should therefore not require expenditure except for it's annual service.

I would not accept £20k for my car but if you are interested please contact me.

good luck with your search

regards - John

Welshman
29-03-2004, 11:36 AM
I'm a bit wary about buying the auto version as I don't want to buy something that will be unsellable later.

Am I doing the right thing??? And should I be buying an NSX anyway??

Alex

I wouldn't buy an auto. Seems completely pointless to me to buy a high performance car and then hamstring it with a 4 speed auto box.

Should you be buying an NSX - onlly you can answer that one.

ctrlaltdelboy
30-03-2004, 04:44 PM
RE: MOT & no cats - only cars registered post 96 need cats in (if mfgd with cats) in order to pass the MOT, cars prior to 96 do not need them for the MOT even if cats were original equipment on the vehicle in the first place.

RE: post 94 wheels - I have a spare set if you find yourself needing some.

Darren