Picked it up on Friday :)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4431206763_404a22ec38_b.jpg

Sorry Ewan but that looks very painful :eek:

I know Scots are tight but the saddle looks a little :eek:

Ewan
14-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Sorry Ewan but that looks very painful :eek:

I know Scots are tight but the saddle looks a little :eek:

Hagasan, mutley, come on, back me up here. Tight? I found a few pound notes in my best jeans just the other day, and am planning how to spend them ;)

Actually, it's pretty comfortable - though having ridden for an hour or two for the last 3 days, and having done very little cycling this year, it does have a certain effect... :no:

Amazingly light, though, these modern bikes. 25 years ago, I was into cycling with steel frame, some alloy bits and a bike that must have weighed 15kg. This new bike must be half that, and the carbon fibre gives it a spring that allows for amazing acceleration - we're talking 20-30mph in 3-4 seconds!

TheSebringOne
14-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Narrow saddle = more aero efficient = painful ! ;)

Very nice indeed, I used to do some amateur road racing & time trialing 10/25 miles!

Sadly I feel like restarting again with my waist line! :eek:

Lovely piece of machinery, are you quite tall, with high seat pin and quite a large frame of say 56 or 58?

Scott make some lovely bikes, if I was to restart gain may be treat myself to a Trek?

Hagasan
14-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Hagasan, mutley, come on, back me up here. Tight? I found a few pound notes in my best jeans just the other day, and am planning how to spend them ;)

Actually, it's pretty comfortable - though having ridden for an hour or two for the last 3 days, and having done very little cycling this year, it does have a certain effect... :no:

Amazingly light, though, these modern bikes. 25 years ago, I was into cycling with steel frame, some alloy bits and a bike that must have weighed 15kg. This new bike must be half that, and the carbon fibre gives it a spring that allows for amazing acceleration - we're talking 20-30mph in 3-4 seconds!

Hey Ewan, didn't know you were into cycling. I used to do it quite seriously during my teens and still have my old race bike. I recently bought another too and I have to say the "tight Scots" is definitely not the case with this modern stuff, it's n no way cheap...

I looked at the Ridleys< Felt, Specialized, Focus etc but got this 09 Scott Addict R2 at a great price. Weighs 15.0lbs as I've got the small short-arse frame.....Maybe we'll have to have a day out in the future minus the cars....

Gary

NSXGB
14-03-2010, 08:54 PM
got this 09 Scott Addict R2 at a great price.

Why does that not surprise me...:rolleyes:

Were pedals extra?? :)

Papalazarou
14-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Looks really nice. I've got an old Pinarello in the garage. Haven't ridden it for 5 years. I have two mountain-bikes though; a mid travel trail bike and a full on down hill bike.
I miss the road scene. hopefully I'll get back to it at some point.

Cheers,

James.

Hagasan
14-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Why does that not surprise me...:rolleyes:

Were pedals extra?? :)

Ha-ha......bought it of another Scotsman!! I actually did on it on ebay and was the highest bidder but didn't meet the reserve so it was all fair & square....Discussed afterwards with the seller and upped my offer. I think buying a road-bike during the winter months helps find a bargain although this wasn't a concious buying consideration initially but the prices seem to be depressed. It's a used bike, for all of 100 miles...

The pedals were extra or at least not included. For the time being I have just fitted my old clipless pedals from my old racebike...

Ewan
14-03-2010, 11:17 PM
If you buy any remotely high-end bike, it doesn't come with pedals ...

I'd never thought about Ridley before (I've got Giant and Trek bikes as well) but this one is about the best value full carbon affair (as in frame/forks, seat post, handlebar), and it comes with full Campagnolo groupset & wheels. I've always wanted a bike with Campag :drool: kit. Imagine my surprise when the bike shop phoned to say it was ready, and that the manufacturer had shipped it with an upgraded groupset, cos they'd run out of the intended one.

For anyone who's into cycling, even for a laugh, you HAVE to check out www.bikely.com (http://www.bikely.com). It'll let you look for decent routes, and also plot your own - the key for me is the "view -> Elevation profile" option on the route you plot.

That Scott bike looks nice, Gary :) I was into cycling in my teens too - then gave it up, have had a couple of recreational mountain bikes over the years but never really done roadie stuff until a couple of years ago. Like everything else, it's amazing how far the technology has come - when I (and I suspect you ;)) were a lad, the gear levers were on the down tube and were very analogue in action... I find road cycling so much more satisfying than MTB... you get to explore so much more, you go FASTER, it just feels more connected man/machine - maybe it's not surprising that people who like the engineering purity of certain cars, are also drawn to wearing nice watches and riding nice bikes :)

James: I'm 6'1" or so but take an XL size frame due to long legs and monkey arms, so it'd probably be 56-58 in some sizes...

Ewan

TheSebringOne
14-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Ewan , how true your comments that people who enjoy brilliant engineering in cars, likewise appreciate the engineering in quality bikes in terms of quality materials, hi tech construction, lightness and durability, just like the NSX!

I gave up road riding about 5 years ago after a absolute k--b knocked me off my bike at a roundabout, chipped a bone in my elbow & drove off in a transit van! :angry: Funnily a panda car drove past a few minutes later & missed the while thing!

Just go for a blast on the mountain bike these days, the roads are too dangerous where I live. :(