PDA

View Full Version : Hooray F1 is back

SILVER BULLET
13-03-2010, 08:39 PM
It seems to be an age since the last race of 2009,what with Scumacher returning , more cars on the grid no refueling and all of the driver changes it looks like we are going to have some exciting races to watch.

I cant remember a time when there were so many competitive drivers in competitive cars,it will be great to see how the first race pans out,perhaps then we may have some idea of what to expect in the future races.

Roll on noon tomorrow,

Cheers,

Ian

NSXGB
13-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Hope the race is good, qualifying was a little dull.

I will miss the refuelling.

Senninha
13-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Hope the race is good, qualifying was a little dull.

I will miss the refuelling.

And as Martin pointed out, there is a risk that if drivers qualify top 10 but dont think they can get front two rows they could simply sit in the pits for ten mins and stsrt on fresh tyres!! This would be a bit of own an goal and make for a VERY dull Q3.

I guess 2mrow we will see if the smooth drivers haev an advantage and manage the tyres etc ...

On a personal note I was pleased to see the Lotus' back on track!

regards, Paul

TheSebringOne
14-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Probably most F1 fans think this could potentially be the best, most exciting and competitive season fo a long time!

I still can't get over how long the cars look this season compared to previous ones!

Tyres more than ever will win races, tyre degradation management crucial and its less exciting without refuelling! Even less margin for error when a good tyre change takes 3 seconds!?

I wonder how long it will be before Schumy matches Rosberg's pace or is quicker? Those Red Bulls look seriously quick, but reliability?

eclipse1501
14-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Wonder why the MClarens are visibly much stiffer? Watch out for them handling better on full tanks.

NSX 2000
14-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Only two hours to go!!:):)

The Red bulls did not look good in pre season testing, so I picked Mclaren Mercedes :rolleyes:

gumball
14-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Come on Bruno! you can win this thing!!

:D

NSX 2000
14-03-2010, 01:55 PM
The Red bulls did not look good in pre season testing, so I picked Mclaren Mercedes :rolleyes:

I hate it when I'm right :laugh:

So that was one of the most memorable races ever NOT:(

Can somebody remind me of all those amazing over taking manoeuvres :no:

havoc
14-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Dullest race I've seen in some time...and there've been a fair few to choose from over the last few years.

I think these new rules are a bit of an own-goal, personally.

How to improve it? RADICAL limits on the aero package, as that's what's limiting the overtaking. Increase mechanical grip to compensate and watch the ballsy drivers drive right around people.

JQD84983
14-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Dullest race I've seen in some time...and there've been a fair few to choose from over the last few years.

Couldn't agree more mate.

TheSebringOne
14-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Boring! :( Bring back refuelling next year and a mandatory two tyre pitstops this season. Also need to address the aero situation as thats the biggest factor in the lack of overtaking, the double diffuser has made this even worst, but is banned next year!

NSXGB
14-03-2010, 07:55 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzz, has it finished yet?!

Dragonlady
15-03-2010, 07:03 AM
I thought that the warm-up lap was the most exciting bit! Plenty of weaving and last minute braking.

Really boring otherwise.

Sharon

SILVER BULLET
15-03-2010, 09:39 PM
What an anti-climax that was:(, agree with others, get rid of all the aero stuff.

I really hope the racing gets better as the season goes on, only good thing for me was Hamilton getting 3rd spot, I hope Ferrari aren't going to be at the front every week:no:.

Senninha
15-03-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm so glad I was busy all day and decided to watch the highlight programme .... but apart from Rubens hussling for 10th I didnt see many highlights ... :(

So, if the narrow Aussie track yields the same type of procession, what can the FIA do about it?

a) unlikely to intro fuelling as too big a job to redesign the cars
b) change the aero - again too costly
c) intro the touring compulsory tyre change 'window'
d) an extra set of tyres for qualy

Anyone else any ideas?

It needs something otherwise the most hyped season could be the least watched!!

regards

havoc
16-03-2010, 08:13 AM
It needs something
Oh yes. Won't happen this year though...I think it's a write-off, which is very sad given the talent on the grid.

But it's been needing 'something' for years IMHO, and all they've done is tinker around the core principles. Which is silly - it takes almost as much cost to redevelop a car which looks superficially similar to last year's car as it does to do something completely radical...

...so why not make a radical change to the regs:-
- Strictly limited external aero (which is the predominant problem with trying to overtake)
- No 'active' under-body aero - so full-venturi's are permitted but anything moving isn't.
- Any configuration powerplant (diesel/petrol/rotary) up to 3 litres n/a or 1.5 litres turbo/s'charged
- Any size within specific wheelbase/track and l/w/h restrictions
- Minimum dry weight + driver
- Any size fuel tank
- Open wheels and open cockpit

Otherwise, anything goes...

...and then set a budget cap of £250m per team. Only Ferrari would be affected by that, arguably (poss. Mclaren?).

markc
16-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Come on guys give it a chance. The first few races of a season are rarely great spectacles as the teams come to grips with the formula changes and each others relative performance.

Last year Brawn and Red Bull were initially head and shoulders above everyone else and romped home in the first set of races, but we still ended up having a great season.

The actual race was indeed a bit of a procession but actually seeing the result of the teams pre-season work to interpret the new rules and finally come to the grid to compare their efforts with their peers was, for me, really interesting.

What do you expect, Dick Dastardly to push on some scenery of a short cut through a tunnel only for it to actually work for the entire field... until he tries to use it :) F1 isn't "Whacky Races" and hopefully never will be.

I was in America last week and had to watch blanket NASCAR coverage. A guy more than 100 laps down rejoined the race and deliberately took out, causing him flip into the spectator fence, one of the leaders in retaliation for an incident earlier in the race. What a farce and all in the name of entertainment!?!

I much rather watch, and more importantly follow, the boffins and superdrivers in an F1 season than NASCAR or any other entertainment first formula, don't get me started on success ballast, any day.

I am REALLY looking forward to the new MotoGP season though :) (MotoGP starts 11th April)

Cheers

Mark

m666 edd
16-03-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm hoping part of the problem is that dull track.

gumball
16-03-2010, 08:33 PM
I think it was the drivers being over conservative, they all thought they were going to kill their tyres if they pushed them at all, but the tyres were much more durable than expected, they will push harder now they know this. I still enjoyed the race anyway.

NSXGB
28-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Go Jenson!

What a contrast to the last race. We'd better pray for rain every race. :)

Something makes me think Hammy was a bit peeved about strategies...

Jenson was awesome making those soft tyres last soooo long.

gumball
28-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Not to say i told you so but... Even without the rain it would have been good.
Congratulations to Jenson, a great race.

jaytip
28-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Go Jenson!

What a contrast to the last race. We'd better pray for rain every race. :)

Something makes me think Hammy was a bit peeved about strategies...

Jenson was awesome making those soft tyres last soooo long.
Cheers :(
It may be a good idea to put a spoiler notice at the top of the post next time.

SILVER BULLET
28-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Well, that was a total contrast to the first race, lets hope for rain at the start of every race.

Very well done to Jenson Button, what a smooooooooth drive by him,as for Webber he just can't help himself can he.

Now i'm going to watch it all over again to see if Lewis can have better luck this time round :laugh:.

Cheers,

Ian

Dragonlady
28-03-2010, 04:19 PM
What a great race. Just goes to show how good Jenson is, what a great call to change to slicks when he did, and to make them last for the race that is some smoooooooth driving.
I think Hamilton needs a cuddly toy in the cockpit with him for the start of the race, then he can through out his teddie mid race!!

Well done Jenson, keep it up.

Ian

NSXGB
28-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Cheers :(
It may be a good idea to put a spoiler notice at the top of the post next time.

What do you expect reading an F1 thread after the race has run???

Senninha
28-03-2010, 05:21 PM
So having watched and enjoyed this race, I remember saying to the better half, "there go 3 more lovely TAG watches" .... :rolleyes:

And then I see this http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/3/10521.html

Someone please tell me they aren't going to start handing these out to drivers at each race :(

Anyway, great race and would have been even without the rain. So that's 1 dull and 1 classic. Lets see how the next 2 pan out before they kick off the Euro races.

BTW, who's the novice in the Merc ;)

regards,

Paul

NSXGB
28-03-2010, 05:58 PM
BTW, who's the novice in the Merc ;)

Was it? :)

I like the Gullwing.

jaytip
28-03-2010, 07:58 PM
What do you expect reading an F1 thread after the race has run???
Not everybody get's up at six in the morning to watch the race.I suspect most did as i did,and watched it in the afternoon.
I click on new posts when i come on the board,and honestly thought it was going to be a comment about Jenson easily out qualifying Lewis.
It's easy enough to just put a warning on the post.

AR
28-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Yes I self police myself after I pissed a few. :)

Hey Paul, not a fan of Hublots? Lovely watches.

Cheers,

AR

TheSebringOne
28-03-2010, 09:30 PM
I think quite alot of people (including ex F1 champs) under estimated JB, but with his smooth style & low tyre degradation/wear, I didn't think he would be on the pace in only his second race. Congrats JB!

Hublot watches is a matter of taste, quite nice, but over priced. I think they sponsor that red team in the NW that wins most things! ;)

markc
29-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Very nicely done by Jenson. Lewis was unlucky and could easily have finished second :)

McLaren look like they're closing the gap to Red Bull but "Luscious Liz" still looks the class of the field when she can keep it all together.

So having watched and enjoyed this race, I remember saying to the better half, "there go 3 more lovely TAG watches" .... :rolleyes:

And then I see this http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/3/10521.html

Someone please tell me they aren't going to start handing these out to drivers at each race :(

Hublot are part of the same "luxury goods company" (LVMH) as TAG so it's just the marketing suits moving their furniture around for effect.

Hublot's are OK, they use nice La Joux-Perret movements, if you like a high bling factor.

The Senna foundation licensed(?) the great mans name to them for a special edition a couple of years back. Nice'ish but not to my taste... (link below)
http://www.hublot.com/l_EN/COLLECTION/BYCOLLECTION/21_limited-edition/ZOOM/441_ayrton-senna-foudroyante/#EN/COLLECTION/BYCOLLECTION/21/ZOOM/441

Cheers

Mark

gumball
29-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Liz is a bit high maintenance isn't she. :)

AR
29-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Britney is not too far off the pace and the "old man" will no doubt gel it soon and start the pwnage.

NSXGB
29-03-2010, 07:26 PM
I hope the old man comes good soon, Rosberg is showing him who's the Daddy at the moment. I did not think he would be this rusty.

gumball
30-03-2010, 07:28 AM
I hope the old man comes good soon, Rosberg is showing him who's the Daddy at the moment. I did not think he would be this rusty.

It's interesting to see him back, I was a big fan of his but I've moved on really. Also it shows what a fine line it is between the great and the good, he is still good but is not as motivated as before to be driving great, although he still is "a great" if you know what I mean. It's like when Michael Jordan came back. :)

AR
30-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Guys MSC drove well, I just think he is taking his time giving good feedback to MB GP and soon enough he will start taking podiums.

SILVER BULLET
30-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Guys MSC drove well, I just think he is taking his time giving good feedback to MB GP and soon enough he will start taking podiums.

Ary, The only way MSc is going to see a podium is by taking his own to the track :laugh::rolleyes:

Cheers,

Ian

AR
30-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Ary, The only way MSc is going to see a podium is by taking his own to the track :laugh::rolleyes:

Cheers,

Ian

LOL I an bet you a score he does by the end of the season. :)

TheSebringOne
30-03-2010, 10:32 PM
I agree with Ary, give MS a race or two and he should improve. He did battle from last to 10th after replacing his front nose. I think hes getting used to the narrower front tyres and learning to preserve his tyres too. Also in Q3 he was only under a tenth down or so behind his team mate in his second qualifying in over three years. Lets see if he still got it in the next races!

AR
30-03-2010, 11:05 PM
I resented the way he or should we say Flavio, cheated against Senna RIP by using TC, but MSC is a great driver, upthere with Fangio and Nuvolari.

He will get a podium.

gumball
31-03-2010, 07:36 AM
I think he will get to be more than a match for Nico, but a podium will require some luck as I'm not sure Mercedes will catch Ferrari, Mclaren or Redbull for speed this year.

gumball
04-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Woo hoo! great win Kobayashi!

NSXGB
04-04-2010, 10:59 AM

....Yeah but Petrov nearly had him at the end...;):rolleyes:

TheSebringOne
04-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Unless there are major updates when the teams return to Europe, then reliability permitting I think the Redbulls are going to be hard to beat.

As for MS, I thought he would have done better in the action packed soaking qualifying since he was previously the rainmaster? I wonder if the 3 years away have softened him and hes lost some of that aggression?

jaytip
05-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Lol, nice one. I stayed well away from NSXCB until after the race just to make sure this time.

m666 edd
18-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Great race. Stupid overly long safety car to bunch up the grid and lose a near 1 minute lead on the majority of the grid.

Great race for alonso despite 5 pit stops / jump start penalty.

gumball
18-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Nice win ******, hopefully ****** can do better next time for a three way if they make it back for Spain.
The new scoring system is making things very interesting.

TheSebringOne
18-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Great drive by JB & LH! Has the great MS lost his confidence?

havoc
19-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Great drive by JB & LH! Has the great MS lost his confidence?
I suspect more his edge and his "killer instinct", IYSWIM.

He's old (which does have an impact on reactions), he's out of practice (certainly at that level) and he's not familiar with the current rules and how to bend them.

I can see him matching (at a stretch) Nico by the end of the season, but he's not going to win it.

Senninha
19-04-2010, 08:07 AM
There's lots of talk in F1 about who is the new Senna or Schumi, but rarely does the Prost name come up, especially from me as I dont like him. However, that said, was referred to as the professor because of his calm, thoughtful approach to racing and sympathetic use of the car.

We've waited a long time but Jenson is by far the nearest we've come to finding a new Professor. Changeable conditions, mixed up running orders, the ability to find grip that many others couldn't in damp conditions, and now Jenson leads the World Championship and has 2 wins for his new employers. Not a bad way to start the defence of the F1 crown.

Lets hope they get back to europe and his winning approach continues.

regards,

NSXGB
19-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Enjoyed the race. Was quite impressed how much more tread was on JBs tyres at the end of the race over Hammy's with a lot more use. Certainly proves the point.