PDA

View Full Version : A 2 Honda household again

markc
01-03-2010, 10:09 PM
My daily beater Mercedes (1998 E320T petrol) has been giving us some trouble of late, and
indeed feels like it might give some more soon. The water pump failed over Christmas/New year stranding us in France and poor starting turned out to be a Crankshaft Position sensor. There's a couple of hundred quid right there and it needs another service soon. It still looks really nice when cleaned up but I guess after 12yrs and 188K miles it's bound to have gotten a little tired.

Anyway the wife has lost confidence in it and virtually ordered me to source a new daily
bus/mile muncher. I didn't have to think about it too long to decide that an old shape
(01-08) Accord Tourer would be an ideal replacement. I've always quite liked the looks
of this generation Accord estate and my local Honda dealer (Trident Ottershaw) had a
suitable one on their forecourt.

It's a dark metallic grey, 2.4 Exec auto, 53 reg, with 57K under it's optional 17"
wheels and a full HUK service history. A test drive proved that it drove as nicely as it looked and they offered me sensible money for the Merc in trade. I managed to negotiate 2 new tyres, fresh floor mats and a full tank of petrol so a deal was done.

I should pick it up Thursday after they've given it a proper polish and removed the hideous "privacy" tints that currently blight the rear 2/3rds of the glazing (sorry I just don't get it) and I'm looking forward to many years of low cost and trouble free Honda motoring :)

Cheers

Mark

Dragonlady
01-03-2010, 10:17 PM
The 2.4 engine is the best in the Accord range, good choice, think I would have gone for a manual box though if one was available.
Happy motoring.

Sharon

TheSebringOne
01-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Great choice Mark, I've always liked them especially in estate form and if memory serves me right, it appeared in that amazing & very clever award winning advert!

markc
01-03-2010, 10:56 PM
The 2.4 engine is the best in the Accord range, good choice, think I would have gone for a manual box though if one was available.
Happy motoring.

Sharon

Nah not for me, I'm not likely to be in a hurry in the Accord so don't need the control afford by a clutch and stick and frankly can't be arsed to change gear for myself in todays traffic choked South East of England.

Great choice Mark, I've always liked them especially in estate form and if memory serves me right, it appeared in that amazing & very clever award winning advert!

Ohh yeah I'd forgotten about that. "Cog" was the name of that advert, as you say it won loads of awards. Same colour as my new motor as well :)

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
02-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Hi Mark,

Great all round car the Tourer, and a LOT more space than the new model. You might find the 2.4 a touch thirsty but mile eating comfort is very good. Keep an eye on the discs as they have an appetite for them and strangely for a Honda, they will quite often blow a rear sidelight.

Enjoy your new all purposes Honda

regards, Paul

markc
02-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi Mark,

Great all round car the Tourer, and a LOT more space than the new model. You might find the 2.4 a touch thirsty but mile eating comfort is very good. Keep an eye on the discs as they have an appetite for them and strangely for a Honda, they will quite often blow a rear sidelight.

Enjoy your new all purposes Honda

regards, Paul

Thanks Paul,

Didn't you have an oil burning version at one time?

Actually I'm looking forward to the economy as my previous beaters, both estates, were the 3.2Ltr V6 Merc and a 4.4Ltr V8 BeeEmm. Anything better than 25mpg on a long run will be a bonus :)

The car had new front discs last year but I'll keep an eye out for the way they're wearing.

I was slightly disapointed at the ride and road noise levels on the 17"s. It's fitted with 45 profile tyres which seems daft for a big old family bus. I will probably look to fit 50 profiles as and when new tyres are required which should help a bit.

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
02-03-2010, 09:38 PM
I was slightly disapointed at the ride and road noise levels on the 17"s. It's fitted with 45 profile tyres which seems daft for a big old family bus. I will probably look to fit 50 profiles as and when new tyres are required which should help a bit.

Cheers

Mark

If its running on the 'Cog' 5 spokes I believe they fit a number of Honda models inc Civic's which would make them easy to sell on. A mate had the same as you're buying but on the smaller rims and it was a noticeably more refined cruiser and didnt eat tyres as much as the low profiles.

One other thought, has the stealer got one the smaller OEM rims? MAybe he might swap them over for you??

regards, Paul

markc
02-03-2010, 10:18 PM
If its running on the 'Cog' 5 spokes I believe they fit a number of Honda models inc Civic's which would make them easy to sell on. A mate had the same as you're buying but on the smaller rims and it was a noticeably more refined cruiser and didnt eat tyres as much as the low profiles.

One other thought, has the stealer got one the smaller OEM rims? MAybe he might swap them over for you??

regards, Paul

It's actually on the "Epsillon" wheels which come in 16 or 17 inch sizes. The 16's come with 55 profile tyres which would certainly help with the ride.

I kind of like the bigger wheel but the 45 profile tyres seems too low for this type of car. I did ask about alternatives but they only keep wheels sans tyres.

I think I'll go with it as is and consider putting 50 profiles on when I need new rubber.

Cheers

Mark