View Full Version : Gordon Murray NSX article 2008

TheSebringOne
30-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Found this whilst surfing for any other global info about the 20th birthday of the NSX. Interesting read too! :)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3716819

JQD84983
31-01-2010, 10:46 AM
What a great article. Thanks for that.

Just shows you how revolutionary Honda were and confirmed my belief that the Ferrari offerings of the time were crap and this really poked them in the ribs.

And people say Japanese engineers only know how to copy...pah!

I think this proves otherwise from the mouth of one of the greats in automotive design.

havoc
31-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Good find. Seen the original Japanese page before, but not that concise version.

GM has always been a big fan of innovative and 'fit-for-purpose' design - a true engineer in that sense. Probably one of the reasons why the Macca is still held in such high esteem - it was his vision and his single-mindedness that meant it didn't get watered-down by "management"!

Sudesh
31-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Great Read!

Nick Graves
31-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Read it somewhere before, but it bears repeating.

I think only GM & LJKS really understood what the NSX was actually about.

AR
31-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Read it somewhere before, but it bears repeating.

Same here, but I wonder why Honda did not produce the engines???

Nick Graves
01-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Honda had the mindset for years that a modest, highly efficient V6 was plenty big enough (bit like their current Indoctrinated Ecotwaddle Drive mentality only better) and they'd have no use themselves for the bigger engine, or any wish to be associated with it. Think I read that in the full article by GM...

Oddly, under Fukui, they did make a 5-litre V10 for themselves as Accurist, before they came to their senses. I don't mind the 5-litre bit and the HSV looked promising, but 10 cylinders is plain wrong. Now under Ito, it's batteries included again and a more traditional modesty.

I do wonder what the V8 NSX prototype was like (ebd. Brian Long) though! I still think some sort of "NA3" would have made a better halo car for Honda and if GM says it's OK then I guess it would be...

Nick Graves
02-02-2010, 11:22 AM
I found this excerpt from an interview with Uehara on the HSC/HSV:

"...Issues faced: It is rather easy to squeeze over 100hp/liter plus on 4 or 6 cylinder Engines; however, it is rather difficult to accomplish the same task on a large displacement, let's say, a 5 Liter engine. The problem is, a traditional V10 have series of vibration problems; therefore, to solve those problems and achieve “over” 100hp/liter (at the same time) will be a major challenge (That is why Ferrari stick with V8 and V12, and Gallardo's V10 will probably not last more than 60k miles without any major overhaul, and same can be said about BMW's M5/6's V10). "There were V10 prototypes built during the early 90's, when Honda was offered a deal to supply their detune but enlarged F1 Engine for the McLaren F1 road car project; however, the idea was deleted by the bearcats within the company, because they didn't understand the magnitude of that project. They were pushing to end the F1 Engine Program and to cut ties with McLaren International; therefore, the idea to supply Engine to McLaren never solidified. Imagine if the McLaren F1 had a Honda Engine...."

Senninha
02-02-2010, 11:28 AM
.........They were pushing to end the F1 Engine Program and to cut ties with McLaren International; therefore, the idea to supply Engine to McLaren never solidified. Imagine if the McLaren F1 had a Honda Engine...."

Has anyone been able to establish who the unknown engine supplier if for the new MP4 .... I wonder if this could be the new V8 driving the HSV? It srumourred to be the most CO efficeint V8 coming to market so maybe, just maybe .....

regards, Paul

WhyOne?
02-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Has anyone been able to establish who the unknown engine supplier if for the new MP4 ....

regards, Paul

I thought it was built in-house by McLaren?

Senninha
02-02-2010, 12:10 PM
I thought it was built in-house by McLaren?

Hi Ian,

It is being built in-house but it was designed and developed with an as yet un-named partner.

regards,

Paul

Nick Graves
02-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Intriguing!

I read somewhere there was a connection between the Acura ALMS V8 engine and the one Audi make, but it seemed a bit tenuous.

Pure speculation, but a McL with an HSV engine would be quite a link...

dan the man
03-02-2010, 05:26 PM
yeah great read...as always.

markc
03-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Hi Ian,

It is being built in-house but it was designed and developed with an as yet un-named partner.

regards,

Paul

My guess would be Cosworth or Ricardo.

Cheers

Mark

AR
05-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Should have just save the money and dropped a corvette engine! Well maybe not good enough for the "prestige".

I do hope that the next generation Honda Sports Vehicle does come out soon and that it showcases what Honda can do.

Nick Graves
07-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Yeah, unfortunately it's out in the Summer & called the CR-Z.

Not exactly what any of us had in mind...