View Full Version : Oil and filter (02 - 3.2)

gcon45
27-01-2010, 06:34 PM
As some of you may know, I'm on the verge of buying a 2002 3.2 Facelift NSX.

If the sale goes through, obviously the first thing I will do is change the engine oil and filter.

What would be considered to be the best oil for the 3.2?
The car is completely standard and has 30,000 miles on the clock.

Also, what is the Honda part number for the oil filter?

Cheers!

NSXGB
27-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Part number for the filter is 15400-PL2-505.

I have a lowly 3.0 but don't think you can go wrong with a drop of Mobil One.

gcon45
27-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks mate. Does that filter part number cover all the NSXs?

I've always been a fan of Silkolene Pro S 5w40 oil.
Maybe it's viscosity would offer better cold start protection than Mobil 1 0W40?

NSXGB
28-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks mate. Does that filter part number cover all the NSXs?

I've always been a fan of Silkolene Pro S 5w40 oil.
Maybe it's viscosity would offer better cold start protection than Mobil 1 0W40?

Yes, all models.
I have limited knowledge of Oil technology so if you wanted a definitive answer I would suggest a read of Opie Oils Threads in the Vendor section.

I would have thought that the 0w40 temp range being wider than 5w40 would mean it was better?

I know Kaz uses Mobil One, so that's good enough for me....

Kaz-kzukNA1
31-01-2010, 01:39 AM
Hi.
People who used my service knows my background and also the reason why I won’t be involved in the discussion such as ‘what is the best’ brake, tyre, oil and so on.
However, I think it’s worth sharing my thoughts on this subject.
This may not be the same as your view but please note that this is just my personal view based on my experience.

For engine oil filter, I recommend using OEM one. Considering the amount of R&D test that each production car and filter manufactures are carrying out, it’s not worth saving a few quid by using the aftermarket ones unless it is the same spec as OEM one.

For engine oil, unless your NSX is a tack day car, I think it is more important to replace it regularly with API SJ class or above than using the expensive one for a longer period or wondering about the spec of the oil.

For me, the ‘best’ engine oil for our NSX would be the one specifically blended for C30A and C32B engines with tailor-made fuel in the tank.
This is how some of the engine oil and fuel were blended for the specific engine in a certain racing category.
The engine manufacture and the major oil/fuel company work very closely to get maximum performance/protection out of them.

You can find lots of engine oil data over the web and many people are commenting on ‘what is the best engine oil’ based on these data.
Also, there are many engine oil treatment products on the market.

Each engine manufacture has different philosophy on metal clearance, oil pressure, friction and so on. Therefore, I believe it would be extremely difficult to design the ‘best’ engine oil for every single engine in the world without knowing the specific engine design and fuel being used.

I’ve been using Mobil-1 for many years. It’s probably no longer classified as the best engine oil by some of the people but I’m happy using it based on the test carried out in the past.

My NSX is every day car and it covered more than 125,000miles during my almost 16 years ownership. I owned it from Day1 and I've been replacing the engine oil every 5 – 6 months or every 3,000 – 5,000 miles.
I already opened up my engine twice for inspection and found nothing wrong with it. This is enough for me to carry on what I have been doing using the same interval, engine oil brand and the OEM filter…

Hope this will help.

Regards,
Kaz

dan the man
31-01-2010, 04:52 AM
Silolene PRO S ive always used in all my hondas..Including NSX.

A lot of worry on Honda forums about Mobil 1 due to its thinness...so could burn off easily if its a burny type of engine i guess. But like any engine u should be checking the levels more than u change your underpants if often VTEC engaging and enjoying the car as designed.