PDA

View Full Version : Thread count

Senninha
22-01-2010, 10:40 PM
With the impending move for the site once Kevin's trials are finished, I thought I would do a bit of housekeeping.

So I clicked onto the 'Quick Links' tab and then into 'Subscribed Threads' with a view to deleting those that I was no longer interested in.

Now I'm not sure of this a default setting of the forum, or simply the way I've set up my USerCP, but I was shocked by the numbers that I found ... over 61 pages of individual threads totalling over 1,160 different threads that I've at some point looked at and commented on.

I'm not technically minded when it comes to PC's but surely this is using lots of space, particularly those with photos. What I dont know is of these are held against my log in or shared for all?

I've now been through mine (had a series of long conference calls so did a bit of multi-tasking ;)) and the result is I'm now down to 12 pages and circa 225 threads.

It has maybe been of no use to the site, yes or no Kevin?, but its done now. I note on Prime that you have to subscribe to the threads you wish to follow. If its using space to replicate these threads then maybe when we move we should do the same?

regards, Paul

AR
22-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Cheers for the heads up Paul, I had 1300 odd subscribed threads that I had no idea I was subscribed to! Deleted them all.

forumadmin
23-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Subscribing to a thread just means you get notified if someone posts to it. Not that a new copy is being for you. So it's not going to take up much space.

I think I set the default for new users to not subscribe to threads, the default was on early on.

Incidentally, the site's database is 570Mb. That is storing the text and images for the site. The site's pages is something like 30Mb. Out of our 30Gb limit, we are not even coming close!