PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen

Driver Matt
21-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Was hit by a flying rock today on the M6 whilst on a lovely 408 mile day trip from Somerset to Manchester and back. Result a cracked windscreen. Autoglass quote £1,774 fitted !!
Here's hoping the insurance folk live up to the quoted full cover :)

Baz
21-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Blooming heck! Can anybody else confirm this the correct price for a screen. If it is, I hope the insurance companies don't latch on anytime soon and raise our premiums through the roof! I've just renewed my insurance with the Post Office for £463.35 with a £75 excess on windscreen replacement.

Baz

NSXGB
21-01-2010, 06:00 PM
My screen excess is 500 notes. :(

Sudesh
21-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Honda price for the screen is

Part Number 73111-SL0-506: £662.67 + VAT
Part Number 73111-SL0-A02: £728.94 + VAT

I think the one at £662 is for a coupe and £728 is Targa

But best to check with the dealer.

Senninha
21-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Based on the info from Sudesh I think you need to have a chat with Autoglass or the insurance company .... or both!

Sudesh
21-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Based on the info from Sudesh I think you need to have a chat with Autoglass or the insurance company .... or both!

Totally agree! I would certinaly be asking the question with Autoglass.

Rob_Fenn
21-01-2010, 11:43 PM
A lot of rare cars have expensive windscreens, and cost of parts is built into the calculation of your premium so i wouldn't worry about it.

It was quite a surprise taking our NSX on track with its new rollcage in, it cracked the screen after a few corners! Unfortunately, if you make the car stiff, something else has to flex :(

WhyOne?
22-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Maybe Autoglass are factoring in having 2 or 3 (or 5!) goes at it ;)

Y1 had a new windscreen shortly before I assumed ownership & their 1st attempt didn't seal properly, so they had to take the screen out (trashing the glass in the process as it is bonded to the frame) and put another in.

Still, this was a notable success compared to the screen(s) they fitted to my wife's Stream.....they managed to get the 5th screen to bond fully with the frame (and thus not cause excessive wind noise).

Kaz-kzukNA1
22-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi, Driver Matt.
Sorry to hear the news and I hope it didn’t cause any further damage to the chassis side.

Please be careful with the spec of windscreen depending on your NSX country code and year model.
For UK, from 97 models onwards, I think it started using the ‘Green’ shaded glass that reduces the heat and UV ray getting into the cabin. Up to 96 models, it was like ‘Blue’.
Also, due to the local regulation, some of the countries require caution label to be displayed for using child seat at passenger seat with SRS installed.

Sudesh has already touched on this but for UK spec, please refer to the following info and I would strongly recommend you to check this against your VIN as I don’t know the country code and spec of your NSX.
For UK models only:
73111-SL0-507: 91 to 96 models
73111-SL0-G01: 97 model
73111-SL0-E11: 98 to 05 models
E11 is probably using the same Green glass as G01 but it would include extra parts such as caution label and so on.
The price is about GBP700+VAT as per Sudesh’s info.

Replacing the windscreen on NSX is not easy, I’m afraid…
You need to get hold of new upper plastic molding and fastener (about GBP50+VAT EACH) as they will be damaged when removed in preparation for replacing the windscreen. Sometimes, the technician tries to re-use the old ones but they won’t fit properly once removed. It also requires extensive cleaning process of removing the old adhesive.
Even with the new parts, it requires delicate touch to install them beautifully and properly. I have seen many NSX with wrong installation method being used for these upper molding parts...

Inside the cabin, at the bottom of the windscreen, we have the defrost air outlet panel. This is narrow but very long plastic parts with many holes for air outlet. Due to this design, it is so easy to crack around the sun light sensor area (almost at the centre) especially when the outside temperature is low (like we have at the moment…). Your technician needs to work around this panel in order to remove the glass.
By the way, there are many NSX with cracked defrost panel.

If the technician decides to remove the windscreen lower molding (the outside black plastic cover at the bottom of windscreen), it is so easy to break the yellow clips hidden underneath.

If done properly, it would be easily about 5 – 7Hrs job or even more including the testing procedure.

Not sure about the quoted price as we don’t know what kind of parts/labour are included in it…

Regards,
Kaz

Sudesh
22-01-2010, 11:06 AM
In Kaz's post this is the following

73111-SL0-507: 91 to 96 models £662.67

73111-SL0-G01: 97 model, has be superceeded to: 73111-SL0-G02 £694.22

73111-SL0-E11: 98 to 05 models £694.22

All plus vat.

mutley
22-01-2010, 04:16 PM
I need a new upper seal for my windscreen, the one there just now doesn't fit propperly and I have to use black tape to keep it in place.

Jim

Driver Matt
22-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Glad to say the rest of the car is fine.
Spoke to Auto Windscreens, much nicer that Autoglass, said an OEM green tint screen is about £700 plus a bit for fitting. They were shocked by Autoglass's quote. It does seem that Autoglass have had a profit enhancement program recently. I have heard horror stories from other punters.
From looking a Dali's web site it seems that various bits of trim come with the original screen. The screen is now on back order with Honda from Auto Windscreens, hopefully my crack will stay the same or spread very slowly during the wait.
Just goes to show that its far safer to keep the car tucked up in the garage.

goldnsx
22-01-2010, 06:23 PM

I have a very small stone chip just above looking straight ahead. The insurance company would have payed a new windshield but I refused to change it later regarding the skills and risks needed/exposed. I'm waiting for the next stone chip which makes it unavoidable.

I'd not change it 'for fun' or small cosmetic issues.

It's expensive but everything of the bloody car is expensive if it needs to be changed.:(

markc
22-01-2010, 06:45 PM
... hopefully my crack will stay the same or spread very slowly during the wait.

So you're going with the Autoglass quote then :) Sorry couldn't resist.

I have a very small stone chip just above looking straight ahead. The insurance company would have payed a new windshield but I refused to change it later regarding the skills and risks needed/exposed. I'm waiting for the next stone chip which makes it unavoidable.

I'd not change it 'for fun' or small cosmetic issues.

I picked up a sizeable "spider" on my trip to Italy a couple of years back and had it repaired rather than replaced for exactly the same reasons i.e. risk of damage by an incompetant fitter.

Cheers

Mark

philboo
21-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Hi, Driver Matt.
Sorry to hear the news and I hope it didn’t cause any further damage to the chassis side.

Please be careful with the spec of windscreen depending on your NSX country code and year model.
For UK, from 97 models onwards, I think it started using the ‘Green’ shaded glass that reduces the heat and UV ray getting into the cabin. Up to 96 models, it was like ‘Blue’.
Also, due to the local regulation, some of the countries require caution label to be displayed for using child seat at passenger seat with SRS installed.

Sudesh has already touched on this but for UK spec, please refer to the following info and I would strongly recommend you to check this against your VIN as I don’t know the country code and spec of your NSX.
For UK models only:
73111-SL0-507: 91 to 96 models
73111-SL0-G01: 97 model
73111-SL0-E11: 98 to 05 models
E11 is probably using the same Green glass as G01 but it would include extra parts such as caution label and so on.
The price is about GBP700+VAT as per Sudesh’s info.

You need to get hold of new upper plastic molding and fastener (about GBP50+VAT EACH) as they will be damaged when removed in preparation for replacing the windscreen. Sometimes, the technician tries to re-use the old ones but they won’t fit properly once removed. It also requires extensive cleaning process of removing the old adhesive.
Even with the new parts, it requires delicate touch to install them beautifully and properly. I have seen many NSX with wrong installation method being used for these upper molding parts...

Inside the cabin, at the bottom of the windscreen, we have the defrost air outlet panel. This is narrow but very long plastic parts with many holes for air outlet. Due to this design, it is so easy to crack around the sun light sensor area (almost at the centre) especially when the outside temperature is low (like we have at the moment…). Your technician needs to work around this panel in order to remove the glass.
By the way, there are many NSX with cracked defrost panel.

If the technician decides to remove the windscreen lower molding (the outside black plastic cover at the bottom of windscreen), it is so easy to break the yellow clips hidden underneath.

If done properly, it would be easily about 5 – 7Hrs job or even more including the testing procedure.

Not sure about the quoted price as we don’t know what kind of parts/labour are included in it…

Regards,
Kaz

My UK 1996 NSX-T has a crack in the windscreen. Very sad. It will need to be replaced. As I don't want to make a mistake about which windscreen and parts are going to be needed before I do anything about this I thought I'd turn to you for help.

I'm unsure which screen I'd need from the codes listed, also not sure if it's green or blue (the car is purple). Also, what other parts will definitely be needed to make this perfect ? clips, plastic trim are both mentioned in this thread.

Did those of you who had their's done simply trust the windscreen company to get the right parts ?

Thank you.

Phil

NSXGB
21-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Firstly, don't use Autoglass!!

As far as I know there is only one colour screen available now so that choice has been taken away from you.

The screen company should know the parts but here is a link to parts required: http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SL001&block_02=B__5200&block_03=21691

As well as the screen, the least you will need is the upper screen moulding & receiver and the 8 yellow clips for the lower moulding. I managed to get a new lower moulding out of Autoglass but they don't usually replace that. They will use their own generic 'dam' parts.

philboo
21-11-2015, 09:12 PM
Knowing my luck it'll be the wrong colour then :-(

Senninha
21-11-2015, 09:51 PM
Replaced mine last year, perfect job by Autoglass, new screen arrived complete with origanal airbag stickers.

When booking mine in I expressed politely my concern that my NSX was looked after and the site manager explained that it would handled by a senior engineer.

When I collected the car (they would only do an on-site installation) the manager walked me around the car. He was also quick to explain that "it's a Honda"and was a very straightforward job to do!

Hope this helps, and all goes well, and treat yourself to some new blades to make the most of the new screen

rgds Paul

philboo
21-11-2015, 10:19 PM
Replaced mine last year, perfect job by Autoglass, new screen arrived complete with origanal airbag stickers.

When booking mine in I expressed politely my concern that my NSX was looked after and the site manager explained that it would handled by a senior engineer.

When I collected the car (they would only do an on-site installation) the manager walked me around the car. He was also quick to explain that "it's a Honda"and was a very straightforward job to do!

Hope this helps, and all goes well, and treat yourself to some new blades to make the most of the new screen

rgds Paul

Thank you Paul, great to hear such a positive story. Did you need to ask for the top trim pieces to be replaced or did you do that/or source yourself ?

NSXGB
21-11-2015, 10:33 PM
Thank you Paul, great to hear such a positive story. Did you need to ask for the top trim pieces to be replaced or did you do that/or source yourself ?

Those pieces need to be replaced and will be included with the installation.

Autoglass no longer has any workshops, all their installations are carried out at the customers location these days and their service is a shambles. Took them about four months to finally finish my job.

Senninha
23-11-2015, 02:35 PM

Hi Phil, my local workshop supplied screen, top trim and yellow clips. All work was to a high standard as I've said above. Rgds, Paul

philboo
14-02-2016, 03:53 PM
Those pieces need to be replaced and will be included with the installation.

Autoglass no longer has any workshops, all their installations are carried out at the customers location these days and their service is a shambles. Took them about four months to finally finish my job.

On Friday my windscreen was finally replaced. Boring story but basically I was originally directed to National Windscreens by the insurance company (which it turned out to be because Autoglass were so busy at the time). National Windscreens were terrible, I would say the worst company I have ever dealt with. I chased them for six weeks and they never returned calls or progressed the work. After weeks of frustration I complained to my insurance company and they said cancel it and go with Autoglass. Autoglass have honestly been brilliant. They had the screen and trim within two weeks. The first screen they had I never saw as the installer noticed it had a small chip on the top left corner so he asked for another to be ordered. I expected this to take months. They had another within a week and arranged a fitter for a week after.
On the day the installer came with a trainee. The main guy was really careful and was aware how worried I was about any damage. He spent about 3.5 hours on it without a break. He never rushed and I watched more or less the entire job. The top trim was replaced and the lower trim wasn't damaged nor were the yellow plastic clips.
The screen is a genuine honda one with the blue tint as fitted originally. I'm honestly so relived, it's been a worry for a few months but now it's done I'm so happy to see my pride and joy looking complete again.
Thanks to those of you here that gave me advice. I did print out all the service manual pages relating to the windscreen and trim removal and there were helpful.

Problem Child
17-02-2016, 02:58 PM
Blooming heck! Can anybody else confirm this the correct price for a screen. If it is, I hope the insurance companies don't latch on anytime soon and raise our premiums through the roof! I've just renewed my insurance with the Post Office for £463.35 with a £75 excess on windscreen replacement.

Baz

Yes that price is correct, I even had to find one myself and have it shipped into the UK (from Germany I think)....that was 2 years ago. Gladly paid my windscreen excess of £75

NSXGB
17-02-2016, 03:34 PM
LOL, well done Geoff, in true RED NSX style, a super fast response to a post made in January 2010!!!

Yes that price is correct, I even had to find one myself and have it shipped into the UK (from Germany I think)....that was 2 years ago. Gladly paid my windscreen excess of £75