PDA

View Full Version : HID problems? Ballast testing?

Tom_
15-01-2010, 04:43 PM
The fuse for my LH headlights has blown again, and given they've only been used on dipped, and I've got an HID kit replacing that system, I guess that's where the problems lie.

From having a poke around the other night, it looks fairly simple: the cables that used to go straight to the bulb now power the ballast, which then powers the HID bulb? The wiring looks in decent condition.

Does this mean the ballast itself is the problem? Is there any way to test it, apart from swapping it over and seeing if the problem changes sides?

Incidentally, when I replaced the fuse, I noticed a high frequency whine when the lights were on; is this normal with HIDs? (It's the first HID-equipped car I've had!)

Ewan
15-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Tom - the high frequency whine is a standard thing; you shouldn't hear it in the car, but if you have the bonnet up and the lights on, you will - especially shortly after install.

I think the ballast is basically a big capacitor, and until it's charged up, you can hear it whine.

You might want to talk to Dan at DTA Motorsport -looks like that's what you have...
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=2229&highlight=xenon&page=3

cheers
Ewan

Kaz-kzukNA1
18-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Hi, Tom.

On 93 model, the headlight bulb was still using H1 type so if your HID system is getting the power from the OEM headlight bulb wires, then you may want to check these wires are insulated against each other as well as against any other metal surfaces. When the headlight pops up/down, it could be moving part of the wires causing short circuit somewhere.

I’m not familiar with your HID conversion kit but you may need to remove the round plastic cover behind the headlight unit where the HID bulb cables are located. The power line connection is very likely to be made inside there if it not getting the power from the battery via fused relay line.

If the wiring is fine inside there, then it would be safer to test your system on the bench first rather than testing on the car.

Regards,
Kaz

gsuds
19-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Tom,

In my tenure the LH light occasionally didn't work, not to extent of blowing fuse though, always just came back on of its own accord. I think I still have a spare ballast/light unit from DTA in my garage - I'll ahve a look & if the fault is there, it's yours!

G

Tom_
24-01-2010, 11:25 PM
In my tenure the LH light occasionally didn't work, not to extent of blowing fuse though, always just came back on of its own accord. I think I still have a spare ballast/light unit from DTA in my garage - I'll ahve a look & if the fault is there, it's yours!Thanks, that would be very kind. :)

It has refused to light once, although not to the point of blowing the fuse, since then. This was when it had just been on and so was presumably hot; in place of lighting, there was a distinct 'T T T' sound, as it got power. My uneducated guess is the ballast!