View Full Version : Any Smokers in the house?

Boomin33
15-01-2010, 01:33 PM
bit of useless info for you.

Was on phone with client of mine in the US this a.m. One of their Clients is RJ Reynolds.

A $35M/year part of their business in jeorpardy.

The business :

1. collect all the dust/dirt from the factory floor, use air filtration systems to collect dust in the air.

2. use a high pressure screw press + ? to extract flavour from that dust, dirt.

3. Import stems/stalks from Tabacco plants in Kenya.

4. Grind up stems, add that special flavour = £35M worth of cigarettes out the door.

yum, yum.

The Problem:

Now that cigarettes are classified as a drug in the US. the regulators are saying they have to stop doing this as you are getting - Camel, Century, Doral, Magna, Monarch, More, Now, Salem, Sterling, Vantage production / flavours incorrectly branded as lets say a Winston.

Result:

Evidently they are figuring out how they can send all this £35M over-seas now as it is not compatible with US food/drug laws.

Boomin33
15-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Actually found this... guess it took me 25 years after I started smoking ( about 10 years since I sort of quit ) to hear about it.

Included in the Whitaker Park upgrade was a new 420,000-square-foot blending and processing building. The plant makes RJR's reconstituted tobacco, a mixture of tobacco leaves, stems and dust used in every cigarette the company makes.
RJR developed reconstituted tobacco more than 50 years ago as a way to get the most out of the tobacco leaf. The company produces 60 to 70 million pounds of the recycled blend annually. Without it, Reynolds estimates it would have to buy between $80 million to $100 million more tobacco each year. Making reconstituted tobacco is like making paper. The tobacco scraps are stirred into a thin, watery mixture, then spread across screens and pressed to remove most of the water. Nicotine and other compounds are taken out of the mixture beforehand and sprayed back onto the sheet, along with a soup of chemicals including flavorings, preservatives and moisteners. The finished sheets resemble the brown paper in grocery bags.

gsuds
17-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Lovely!

Will stick to rollies day to day and Havanas for special times, although I do enjoy rough shag too (in the briar!).

GS

AR
17-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Used to smoke nice cigars once upon a blue moon or on special ocassions when it felt right. I must admit that after I lost a best friend and one of my Dad's friend due to the big C it kind of gave me a new perspective.

gsuds
19-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Fair do's Ary.

However, the true risk involved with an occasional Havana must be pretty small as no inhalation - as far as I know the only malignancy risk is to upper airways - mouth, larynx, etc.

Certainly Much more at risk in a motor vehicle!

G

AR
19-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Fair do's Ary.

However, the true risk involved with an occasional Havana must be pretty small as no inhalation - as far as I know the only malignancy risk is to upper airways - mouth, larynx, etc.

Certainly Much more at risk in a motor vehicle!

G

I agree mate but it is more of a personal thing that whenever I think of smoking a Cigar I think of them.