PDA

View Full Version : Site moves and upgrades

forumadmin
01-01-2010, 12:21 PM
The site is going to be moved to new server soon. The reason for this is that at the moment we have a dedicated server. This is expensive. Also because I have the cheapest option going, there is only one hard disk in the server, and so if it fails, it's goodbye NSXCB Site. I had to find this server at short notice last year.

I have been looking around and trying out other options. I have a new server prepared in a cloud hosting environment. Which is all new and fancy.

After the move, I will be working on upgrading the site software. vBulletin which runs the forum, has gone to version 4. This is very new and fancy too, however the Subdreamer software used for the rest of the site will not work with it. Also vBulletin have released their own website software. I have purchased this and so the whole site will move to vBulletin 4.0. It means only needing one software license from now on. However the add-ons I have currently in this forum (marketplace, garage) won't work with vBulletin 4.0, not until they release updated versions of it. Also the marketplace software company seems to have gone AWOL anyway.:rolleyes:

It will take some time to make a new site for everything, and maybe some functionality will be lost, however some will be gained. But this is all in an effort to simplify things, and reduce cost.

Speaking of reducing costs, the new server I have setup allows me to host more than one website on it. So if you have your own personal or small business site, let me know, and we might come to an arrangement where I can host it for you. Proceeds from these activities will go back to the NSXCB.

In the meantime, here is a photo of NSXCB mission control, now based in a secret bunker location in Switzerland. Thought some of you may get a kick out of seeing how the magic happens. :)

AR
01-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Well done Kevin for keeping this site going. I must admit that I don't quite understand what you got on your desk. :)

Good luck and thanks.

Ary

TheSebringOne
01-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks alot Kevin, everyone here really appreciates the effort and time you put into the running of the club. Once again a big THANK YOU. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Happy New Year aswell! :)

Kaz-kzukNA1
01-01-2010, 11:05 PM
I can't thank enough for all of your effort and time being spent for running the club, Kevin.

Looking forward for the new features.

Regards,
Kaz

SILVER BULLET
02-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Thank you and very much appreciated Kevin,as per Ary's post I don't know what you have got on your desk:eek: but it all seems to be working very well:),

Happy New Year to you,

Cheers,

Ian

Lankstarr
02-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Happy new year Kev, nice to know that big brother is still watching and looking after us... I don't know what we'd do without you!

Thanks as always for all of the hard work you have and continue to put in.

Luke

amo
02-01-2010, 11:43 PM
nice 1 mate thx from me too great job
hope you had a good new year

thx amo

NSX 2000
07-01-2010, 06:55 PM
I can't thank enough for all of your effort and time being spent for running the club, Kevin.

Looking forward for the new features.

Regards,
Kaz

I'll second that :D

JQD84983
10-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Would just like to add my thanks to you Kevin for keeping this site up and running. Whatever you feel is in the best interest of the forum is fine by me.

Thanks and Hapy New Year!

Dragonlady
10-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Doing a great job and is much appreciated.

forumadmin
10-01-2010, 08:08 PM
There is a test site that I have setup with the new software.

Please visit it and try out the site. Remember that nothing said there will be kept. Also ignore the non relevant data that is already present in the site.

Obviously the site is not complete and all the forums aren't set up.

www.nsxcbtest.co.uk (http://www.nsxcbtest.co.uk)

Hairy_Potr
12-01-2010, 04:38 PM
(from a Newbie) Thank you for doing this, Kevin. :)

Should we all Consider cleaning out our unwanted inbox/outbox PMs before the transition? To save space on the new server...

mutley
13-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Hi Kevin, new style looks good, thanks for all the hard work.

Cheers
Jim