PDA

View Full Version : Turbo charging an NSX, cheaper than supercharging....

Hagasan
22-12-2009, 05:26 PM
I've been following a few threads on nsxprime, some good, some not so good (Prospeed in particular). Just wondered what peoples thoughts here were towards turbocharging? Apparently the engine is good for up to about 400bhp in standard form low boost, about 5psi? Would be interested in general comments and if possible Kaz's thoughts on the engine suitability.....Sometimes I think the car isn't as quick as it looks (when the opportunity arises)

Cheers,

Gary

AR
22-12-2009, 07:42 PM
I'll chime in, for keeping it low boost, considering were we are ( UK ) a CTSC is hard to beat.

The main thing is engine management. I am not sure if Kaz offers this service, but pretty muche EVERYONE outhere is an amateur. I am not happy with what TDI did regarding mapping of an NSX BBSC. Lots of "tuners" say sure bring it over I'll have it a couple of days...

I know of soo many people with Subarus, Evos, Supras, etc in this country always going back to the tuners, because it was not right. Some horror stories about some reputable tuners too, some of them from friends, not friend of a friend. A very good tuner from the US recomended by Simon is coming over in the new year and he is one I'll trust.

Second part is the MOT, most of the Turbo's get rid of the cats and then even the EGR. You need separate oil lines, which can leak. You need to tap the oil pan. You'll need a new exhaust too.

I got a spare engine and I am hoping a low comp build, in that case I will look for a Turbo, probably Angus, and will shoot for 600 or so, but for a quick car that can keep up with most ( stock cars ) out there a CTSC NSX is hard to beat.

Hagasan
22-12-2009, 09:24 PM
The tuning is a concern. There is an AEMS tuning place up near Milton Keynes or Silverstone area which seems to sound reputable....

It's the Angus kit that sounds decent value and having spoken to him (Wil) a good deal is possible ~£4k at current rates, with air to air intercooler, exhaust, basically everything short of set-up & fitting(would fit myself). The downside is the MOT situation having to mess about every year swapping everything over....

AR
23-12-2009, 12:04 PM
The tuning is a concern. There is an AEMS tuning place up near Milton Keynes or Silverstone area which seems to sound reputable....

It's the Angus kit that sounds decent value and having spoken to him (Wil) a good deal is possible ~£4k at current rates, with air to air intercooler, exhaust, basically everything short of set-up & fitting(would fit myself). The downside is the MOT situation having to mess about every year swapping everything over....

Last I checked EMS was optional on that kit. Wil seems a really nice guy and he has delivered quite a few. They are soo lucky when it comes to parts and vendors over the water.

simonprelude
23-12-2009, 01:55 PM

If you let me know who the tuner is, I might have some more information for you............ :eek:

Hagasan
23-12-2009, 02:18 PM
If you let me know who the tuner is, I might have some more information for you............ :eek:

Well the one that came from the AEMS website for the UK is http://www.advancedme.co.uk/

Any info/stories to tell??

markc
23-12-2009, 02:22 PM
For the NSX, Supercharging for me everytime.

If Santa slips me a voucher for £6K (which he won't be) I'll bite Dixon's hand off for one of his Comptech kits :)

Cheers

Mark

AR
23-12-2009, 02:48 PM
For the NSX, Supercharging for me everytime.

If Santa slips me a voucher for £6K (which he won't be) I'll bite Dixon's hand off for one of his Comptech kits :)

Cheers

Mark

Mark, after taxes etc is close to 8K, mind you some good deals over the water if you can travel to pick up. Maybe hitch a ride in the Sleigh.

PS If you do catch him tell him to drop off my low comp build!

markc
23-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Well if Santa did contribute £6k it'd be rude of me not to chip in another couple :)

If I forego the new exhaust I'm after I've got a good chunk of it (the extra £2K) put aside anyway!

If only I'd be nice rather than naughty this year... and last year, and the one before that, etc etc :(

Cheers

Mark

amo
24-12-2009, 03:45 PM
turbo is good was going for it but got a deal with all the parts for my it was me went to tdi and they have no idea about tuning a aem on a nsx only only found out after a year or so when i was told thats normal, when i was at sos they told me no not normal needs to be tuned properly

so wont be going there again

thx amo

amo
24-12-2009, 03:59 PM

is the blokes name dan think i got a card some where
remember that he said he can add launch control on mine in about 2 mins but never had the time to go to him

thx amo

jamieburke
24-12-2009, 05:25 PM
I think the nsx is a highly advanced na engine (albeit now classic status)

With a turbo 'kit' it is a crap turbo engine- literally a na high compression sngine- with all that entails in terms of lightweight materials- with a bolted on turbo.

A turbo engine is built completely differently to the engine in the nsx- pistons are different, valves are different, cams are different- If you want to do it correctly, i think the car doesn't need to be tuned, it needs to be completely re-engineered. Great if you live beside factor X or science of speed, but in the uk?

I have looked at all this with a considerable budget- larger brakes and comparable suspension, a darton mid sleeved block, radiators, intercoolers etc etc etc etc and you are still limited to 550whp.....the cost? around 30k.

SUre you can bolt on a turbo and get 400 odd hp....but

my tuner has a new 997 turbo with 700whp and 800ft/lbs torque..... he fitted new intercoolers and variable vane turbos, headers and an exhaust system and remapped it himself. Total cost- 4k. Prefers his standard GT3!

Gtr- exhaust, y pipe and remap with europort is now yeilding up to 600hp, again for around 4k.

Unless you spend a lot of money, the nsx isn't going to 'perform' like the recent crop of supercars- but they are all massively electronically assisted. I don't think any of them actually 'drive' as well as the nsx.

My Pro FI thinking is- If you take the cost of the nsx and a COMPREHENSIVE rework for super or turbo charging, the total will probably be much less than what you'd have to fork out for a different car with the same level of ability.

But the first time it threw a tantrum and tarnished its reliabilty record, i'd hate it. And the sc and turbo cars don't sound as good as the NA ones...they lose the induction growl- the vvis system with the turbo is off and it is removed with the ctsc...i'd hate to lose that noise.....revs are what hondas are all about.

Just my 2p

AR
24-12-2009, 07:18 PM
And the sc and turbo cars don't sound as good as the NA ones...they lose the induction growl- the vvis system with the turbo is off and it is removed with the ctsc...i'd hate to lose that noise.....revs are what hondas are all about.

Just my 2p

Jamie, your 2p are wrong, whereas a turbo will muffle a car an sc will not change the sound if anything it will make it a tad louder. As for the vvis noise, I'll rather listen to the SC. :)

BTW a CTSC NSX revs just as quick.

If you keep on debating turbo vs SC, gt One vs Gruppe M, you will end up convincing yourself the NSX is not for you. In the words of Nike:

Just do it!

jamieburke
24-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Not wrong to me- I had a sc on my Integra and the performance was fantastic, it just lost a lot of the induction growl and i hated it.

I'm debating a lot because i don't want to f*uck it up. I wanted one of these for 15 years..... i wasn't even aware people TUNED these cars....and if they did, i never had any intention to...... then i go onto prime and everything seems easy and not that expensive to do....so it makes me think about it. Its not like you can say ' ill buy the newer model' because its a lot of money for little more, we all know the type-r prices etc I don't know whether to do something serious, or nothing at all.

The main thing is being able to set it up and have it working right- you seem to have your wits about you as far as installation etc is concerned,i don't- i want the car to stay hassle free.

Everyone wants to sell you something and tell you what they have is great- woulod you drop 5-10k into your car with sc and say 'nah, sounds ****' ?

THere seems to be two camps- leave it standard OR bolt on turbo sc, its the way the car should be etc.

Is there anybody in between?

I'd like to hear how your car sounds. Do you have an uprated clutch?

AR
24-12-2009, 11:24 PM
I'd like to hear how your car sounds. Do you have an uprated clutch?

Jamie,

I understand your concern regarding vendors wanting to sell you stuff, for the most part if you are lucky you get your stuff and then you are on your own.

I will hopefully have some soundclips soon, as for the clutch, still oem but I take it easy when launching the car.

Cheers,

AR

jamieburke
25-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Ary
I never launch hard either.....though my clutch is 71k now from new (car has had a very easy life) I had thought that they should be replaced long before that?

Look forward to sound clips!
My integra was all exhaust and charger noise, be great to hear it with the V6

merry chrstmas!

Jamie

amo
26-12-2009, 03:15 PM
twin plate exedy clutch and i launch made the car blow a diff up doing a day long drag races in west wales

im not bothered about my induction noise just listen to my zorst and charger

thx amo

ps 10k wont cut it will need to put more money in

batmobile
12-01-2010, 05:05 AM
I agree with some of Jamieburkes comments (it does take time/effort to turbo charge an NSX properly & you probably shouldnt just slap in a turbo) coz its kind of obvious.

Where I disagree is the result when you get it right. The performance is unbelieveable - mind blowing - and the sound whilst not as "rorty" as some NSX's out there is just spectacular.

I know this because I own one.

Leo

Silver Surfer
12-01-2010, 11:38 AM
I agree with some of Jamieburkes comments (it does take time/effort to turbo charge an NSX properly & you probably shouldnt just slap in a turbo) coz its kind of obvious.

Where I disagree is the result when you get it right. The performance is unbelieveable - mind blowing - and the sound whilst not as "rorty" as some NSX's out there is just spectacular.

I know this because I own one.

Leo
Hi Leo,

Welcome to the forum....why so long to join?

Please tell us more about your Turbo charged NSX....with pics?:)

SS

Hagasan
12-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Hi Leo,

Welcome to the forum....why so long to join?

Please tell us more about your Turbo charged NSX....with pics?:)

SS

I'll second all the above too.....additionally what happens come MOT time? Have you got any Cats plumbed in or is it a pre 93 car?

forumadmin
12-01-2010, 06:44 PM
I think Leo joined in Sep 2007!! Long time lurker, first time poster.

AR
12-01-2010, 07:47 PM
There is the HKS that belonged/belongs top D. Morgan, Funky Powers HKS ones as well.

The main problem aside from the MOT is the tuning. If you get a standalon ECU then more than likely you will end up spending a lot of time and money and loose some functions. A piggyback is good, but it can be a pain too. For what the roads allow, a supercharged NSX is the simplest way and is easily reversible.

TheSebringOne
12-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Also theres an black ex Mugen Turbo that belongs to a guy who brought it along to the Silverstone Classic last summer, sorry forgot his name! This car has been in a couple of Japanese car tuning mags.

Papalazarou
12-01-2010, 10:48 PM
When I get rid of my beetle, I'll strongly consider an NSX with a supercharger. After getting a ride in Ary's car, I was really impressed with the torque and the sound. You still get a great induction noise but you get the stronger mid range which the car really benefits from.
pound for pound, supercharging has to be the answer and at only 5-6 psi boost, I can't see it's stressing the engine all that much.
Would be interested to hear what Kaz thinks?!

Cheers,

James.

AR
13-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Also theres an black ex Mugen Turbo that belongs to a guy who brought it along to the Silverstone Classic last summer, sorry forgot his name! This car has been in a couple of Japanese car tuning mags.

That would be Funky Power's Faisal.

AR
13-01-2010, 12:44 AM
After getting a ride in Ary's car, I was really impressed with the torque and the sound. You still get a great induction noise but you get the stronger mid range which the car really benefits from.

Cheers,

James.

Cheers James I had the camera on us, you are the hairy one! :)

NSX 2000
13-01-2010, 10:24 AM

That would be Funky Power's Faisal.

IIRC the black Turbo NSX that James (TheSebringOne) is talking about is in fact Leo's (batmobile) car.

I do remember Mark and Kevin having a good chat and look at this car so they may be able to confirm?

Paul.

AR
13-01-2010, 10:26 AM
IIRC the black Turbo NSX that James (TheSebringOne) is talking about is in fact Leo's (batmobile) car.

I do remember Mark and Kevin having a good chat and look at this car so they may be able to confirm?

Paul.

If it says Mugen power and has the Marga Hill lights is ex Dereck Morgan's car built by TDI.

batmobile
13-01-2010, 04:07 PM
It just goes to show how good the NSX intel is around here.

My batmobile is in fact ex Derek Morgan, stripped down and rebuilt by TDI on my behalf a few years ago and it was at the Silverstone Classic last summer....

Regards

Leo

NSX 2000
13-01-2010, 04:14 PM
It just goes to show how good the NSX intel is around here.

Regards

Leo

Leo, only intelligent people with long memories buy an NSX :D

Paul

TheSebringOne
13-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Hi Leo, sorry I forgot your name! :D

Thanks very much for taking me out the Silverstone event, the car was awesome! Now I how captain Kirk feels at warp speed! :)

angus*
20-06-2010, 05:48 AM
Hello people, It's me Wil from nsxprime!

I've just joined here to help answer any questions you may have about my kit, or for that matter any NSX questions you may have! Feel free to ask away or shoot a PM!

Thanks,
Wil

amo
23-06-2010, 06:02 PM
hi mate and welcome here i cant wait to see whats in my new box lol
will send you some pics of the exhaust and pipes

thx amo

A.S. Motorsport
25-06-2010, 12:20 PM
fine tuning is indeed critical in turbo setups.
Finding a good tuner you can trust is also not easy.

Basicly if everything comes down to cost a supercharger set-up will nearly always be cheaper but one should look more to quality and driving experience.

amo
25-06-2010, 01:33 PM
fine tuning is indeed critical in turbo setups.
Finding a good tuner you can trust is also not easy.

Basicly if everything comes down to cost a supercharger set-up will nearly always be cheaper but one should look more to quality and driving experience.

dont forget tuning a supercharger as mine was tuned by tdi in north london and wont be going there again as they never knew what they where doing

if you want power id have to go for the turbo but yes tuning id the most important

thx amo

A.S. Motorsport
25-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Personally i prefer superchargers there just a bit quicker in response and a good SC setup should make enough power for street use.

batmobile
28-06-2010, 06:05 PM
dont forget tuning a supercharger as mine was tuned by tdi in north london and wont be going there again as they never knew what they where doing

if you want power id have to go for the turbo but yes tuning id the most important

thx amo

Got a different experience to you mate.

Took my NSX to TDI and its fab (see thesebringones' comment above).

As well as the incredible power, its maintained the one thing I wanted - the driveability of the NSX.. Its exhilarating and fun.

Surprised that they could do such a fantastic job on my turbo setup vs your supercharger. Did you spec the upgrade or did they?

Regards
Leo

amo
29-06-2010, 12:35 AM
i got the kit but they no nowt about tunning a aem also cut by bloody type r engine cover the mesh instead of taking the cover off sorry but they are crap wont be telling any1 to go there and yes i did tell them on the phone told me the bloke who done the work is gone now lol

thx amo

batmobile
29-06-2010, 06:19 AM
sounds like a nightmare.

so is the sc in now - who did the install?

Regards
Leo

AR
29-06-2010, 08:59 AM
sounds like a nightmare.

so is the sc in now - who did the install?

Regards
Leo

The same people that build your car first time around!

batmobile
29-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Ah.

Regards

Leo

jamieburke
17-10-2016, 04:11 PM
Leo

C an I ask what internal spec your car was built to? And what sort of power did it make?
i am building an engine for forced induction just now so it'd be enlightening!

jaffaz32
18-10-2016, 03:50 PM
Leo

C an I ask what internal spec your car was built to? And what sort of power did it make?
i am building an engine for forced induction just now so it'd be enlightening!

I have a set of forged low comp pistons if interested along with gaskets.

jamieburke
18-10-2016, 09:20 PM
I have a set of forged low comp pistons if interested along with gaskets.

Hey man man thanks for getting in touch!
are they new? What size ( I need 1/2 ml overbore)

whqt brand? And how much!
You have anything else?

message me if it's easier man, thanks

Jamie